Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 dead after attack on a bank in Jalalabad

Options
  • 19-04-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

'ckn 35 people were killed yesterday in an attack on a bank in Jalalabad: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2015/04/deadly-suicide-bombing-hits-afghanistan-jalalabad-150418053431815.html

The Taliban have denied involvement. The Irish Times says that "No group have claimed responsibility for the attack" but President Ghani is quoted in Al Jazeera as saying ISIL took responsibility. But then the head of domestic intelligence disputed his claim saying that Ghani is only was trying to hide government incompetence.

It seems clear that it was a religiously-motivated attack as a shrine was also bombed (no one killed).

Presumably it was all or majority civillians killed here. Seems it would be huge front-page news for days if it happened closer to home.

I feel Al Jazeera's journalistic stands have to be criticized here. There's a bolded headline in the above article saying "Five beheaded", giving the impression that this is related to the subject of the article, yet at the very end it says:
    In a separate incident, five people have been beheaded in Afghanistan's southeast. The men, belonging to the ethnic Hazara community, had been kidnapped on Wednesday.

Their bodies were found in Malistan province. The Hazaras are a minority in Afghanistan and have often been targeted.
    They also shouldn't have presented Ghani's comments in this manner without clarification that no one has yet claimed responsibility.

We all know it's probably ISIL, but still.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Very sad. Don't know maybe it's that it gets reported more now in this day and age but the world seems to be slowly descending into chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Very sad. Don't know maybe it's that it gets reported more now in this day and age but the world seems to be slowly descending into chaos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/scott-m-weber/violent-world-_b_5847536.html
    The evidence shows us that violence has in fact declined dramatically over the centuries. In his remarkable book, The Better Angels of our Nature, Harvard University Professor Steven Pinker demonstrates how we are living in the most peaceful time in our history. And with greater peace, most other indicators have also improved, including economic development, health and the protection of human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I like how people are trotting out that Pinker book every time a tragedy occurs. I have yet to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

folamh wrote: »
    I like how people are trotting out that Pinker book every time a tragedy occurs. I have yet to read it.

It just says that violence has declined relatively speaking afaik, not that we've all started living in a 60's hippy musical.

That is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Depends on where you live. Europe is going through it's most peaceful period in history by far (especially as it was probably the most violent part of the world for centuries) as are parts of Asia and Latin America. Middle East and North Africa, obviously not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Get back to me when it happens in limerick or dublin , I don't know anyone in jalllaallllaaaabaaad

whupdedo wrote: »
    Get back to me when it happens in limerick or dublin , I don't know anyone in jalllaallllaaaabaaad

You mean when it happens in Dublin again.

There are people there who don't deserve to suffer yet do so, and they are humans like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP ,its my money , I just didn't want to fill out the forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Its probably isis. What else do you expect? They have just massacred another group of people in libya just cos they were ethiopian Christians. And the world just stands idly by. It's ok though cos it's not happening in my neighbourhood you know! ! This world is gone to shi*. People are more concerned with what happens with the kardashians than with massacres.....

• Advertisement

I don't expect anything but the worst from ISIL, of course, but killing 35 civilians is extreme even by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

folamh wrote: »
    I don't expect anything but the worst from ISIL, of course, but killing 35 civilians is extreme even by their standards.

Eh ? :confused: Hardly, sure what have they been doing for the past year??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Nodin wrote: »
    You mean when it happens in Dublin again.

Given that if it were to happen in Dublin again it would be more likely to be the work of Islamists than Loyalists (albeit, an attack by either is thankfully relatively unlikely in the near future), given that you spend quite a bit of your time on here campaigning for the rights of Islamic fundamentalists with links to Ireland, would you feel a bit guilty if this future attack you seem to think will happen was perpetrated by some goon who you have campaigned for?

Given that if it were to happen in Dublin again it would be more likely to be the work of Islamists than Loyalists (albeit, an attack by either is thankfully relatively unlikely in the near future), given that you spend quite a bit of your time on here campaigning for the rights of Islamic fundamentalists with links to Ireland, would you feel a bit guilty if this future attack you seem to think will happen was perpetrated by some goon who you have campaigned for?

What rights have I been campaigning for? An Islamic fundamentalist, if an irish citizen, has the same rights as thee or me.

What rights have I been campaigning for? An Islamic fundamentalist, if an irish citizen, has the same rights as thee or me.

How about you answer the question rather than responding with your usual oblique bollocks. Political correctness has already aided and abetted terrorism, murder and rape over much of Europe. Would you be proud of your own role in introducing it to Ireland?

How about you answer the question rather than responding with your usual oblique bollocks.

As I've no idea what you're on about until you explain, I'm afraid its not me that's being oblique.
    Political correctness has already aided and abetted terrorism, murder and rape over much of Europe.

The usual right wing nonsense, I see.
    Would you be proud of your own role in introducing it to Ireland?

What role would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So islamists kill people? Wow thats new.

At least its not in Europe/Ireland this time.

As I've no idea what you're on about until you explain, I'm afraid its not me that's being oblique.

The usual right wing nonsense, I see.

What role would that be?

This is my third time asking. Would you be proud of yourself if your politically correct campaigning led to terror attacks in Dublin as it has in parts of Europe?

This is my third time asking. Would you be proud of yourself if your politically correct campaigning led to terror attacks in Dublin as it has in parts of Europe?

But "politically correct campaigning" hasn't led to "terror attacks......in parts of Europe" so its really a question based on a false premise.

And what "politically correct campaigning" am I supposed to have done? Would you be referring to my anti-racist/anti-sectarian stance?

But "politically correct campaigning" hasn't led to "terror attacks......in parts of Europe" so its really a question based on a false premise.

But it has. Until you refrain from telling porkies how are we meant to debate this?

You still have not answered the original question.........

And what "politically correct campaigning" am I supposed to have done? Would you be referring to my anti-racist/anti-sectarian stance?

Your campaigning for that Halawa idiot is racist in itself. There are over 1000 Irish people imprisoned abroad, yet you only seem interested in the one with a foreign name.

• Advertisement

But it has..

Nope.

Your campaigning for that Halawa idiot is racist in itself. There are over 1000 Irish people imprisoned abroad, yet you only seem interested in the one with a foreign name.

I'm unaware of others charged jointly with 400 plus others for murder .....saying the charge is ridiculous is hardly "campaigning". There is a thread on the subject though, should you wish to discuss it further.

Nope.

I'm unaware of others charged jointly with 400 plus others for murder .....saying the charge is ridiculous is hardly "campaigning". There is a thread on the subject though, should you wish to discuss it further.

10/10 performance here Noddy

Nope.

Islamist clerics based in Britain throughout the Blair era are known to have had a hand in, or inspired people involved in

- the 9/11 attacks

- 1995 Paris bombings

- 2005 London bombings

- the Luxor massacre

- the Richard Reid shoe bomb plot

- multiple foiled attacks

During this time, foreign clerics in France, where the whole political correct vibe doesn't hold quite as much sway, who made outspoken comments regarding issues such as a man's right to beat or rape his own wife were deported within days of their comments being highlighted by the media.

And that is without even beginning on the issue of how official government reports conceded that political correctness left police and council officials entirely impotent to intervene in organised gang rapes in Rotheram. People like you are as complicit in child rape as the people in various sectors of the Irish social care set up pre 1980 in their dealings with the church. Are you proud of this?

Fourth time avoiding my original question now.

Nope.

I There is a thread on the subject though, should you wish to discuss it further.

It's funny that. A poster named Morpheous Knight has been asking you awkward questions over there for a few days now and you have been strangely absent from the thread :pac:

Islamist clerics based in Britain throughout the Blair era are known to have had a hand in, or inspired people involved in

- the 9/11 attacks
    - 1995 Paris bombings
    - 2005 London bombings
    - the Luxor massacre
    - the Richard Reid shoe bomb plot
    - multiple foiled attacks

During this time, foreign clerics in France, where the whole political correct vibe doesn't hold quite as much sway, who made outspoken comments regarding issues such as a man's right to beat or rape his own wife were deported within days of their comments being highlighted by the media.

Highlighting different cases with zero context and no mention of the law regarding either....good man.
    Fourth time avoiding my original question now.

Your question is based on a false premise, and is thus unanswerable.

It's funny that. A poster named Morpheous Knight has been asking you awkward questions over there for a few days now and you have been strangely absent from the thread :pac:

You'll find I've answered all his questions, quite clearly.

Answered in the normal sense or answered in your way like you answered here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So looks like some people have decided to take the thread and make it one about having a go at another poster instead :rolleyes:.

If, for the fifth time, you are going to refuse to answer my question, I have no option but to surmise that you approve of the murder of Irish citizens in terror attacks and the organised rape of English children. You have done zero to challenge this assertion thus far, despite at least five invites to clearly state your position on the issue.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    So looks like some people have decided to take the thread and make it one about having a go at another poster instead :rolleyes:.

Won't be the first or last time, alas.
    "How many angels dance on the head of the pin?"
    "that's a nonsense question"
    "Then you approve of satan and all his works?"

Advertisement