Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big bags of fert with one tractor ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hardly the same one as in the donedeal ad further up the thread. Did it look sturdy Brian

Oh didnt see that :o

Ye is same Ok..

I'd rather make something a bit sturdier TBH,
    It does have lugs to bolt it down, but it would need to be in a quiet corner or it might get a knock..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭nhg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/161433/270117.jpg

Copied from an older thread here on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You'd be surprised. The design does look good, with the legs spread out and it is galvanised.
    Ah yes, maybe I should have said buckled in the ditch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

_Brian wrote: »
    Spotted this today while out on the road and thought of this thread..
    Nice bit of kit, not sure about a price though.. Looks like it would take three bags at a time..

of7bz8.jpg
    With farm safety and all that contraption should be made obsolete.

Is that an old creamery it's sitting outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.. Butlersbridge.
    All old milk weigh equipment still inside with wooden cart and all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

You wouldn't want a weld to crack, or tip it whilst reversing

To be honest i wouldnt be too worried about weld cracking on that. When you think about it a half inch of weld will lift a half ton. i saw a video where a man had a figure of 8 lifting eye/ he cut it in half and put an inch weld to weld it back together , then lifted a bag of fertiliser.

The part which would worry me is the steel bending or the frame toppling over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

9935452 wrote: »
    To be honest i wouldnt be too worried about weld cracking on that. When you think about it a half inch of weld will lift a half ton. i saw a video where a man had a figure of 8 lifting eye/ he cut it in half and put an inch weld to weld it back together , then lifted a bag of fertiliser.

The part which would worry me is the steel bending or the frame toppling over

Half an inch of good weld tho! But I do agree the steel work will colapse before the welds if it's welded properly, what worries me with that yoke is the legs look to be removable on dd and only held in with little pins, meaning that the entire weight is being supported by 4 say 10mm pins in double shear, they wouldn't take a lot of abuse IMO.

I'd guess the show was a 4x4 is born by the way 😉😉

Zr105 wrote: »
    Half an inch of good weld tho! But I do agree the steel work will colapse before the welds if it's welded properly, what worries me with that yoke is the legs look to be removable on dd and only held in with little pins, meaning that the entire weight is being supported by 4 say 10mm pins in double shear, they wouldn't take a lot of abuse IMO.

I'd guess the show was a 4x4 is born by the way 😉😉

I think you are right about a 4x4 is born was the show

The whole thing does look a bit unsafe. Four 10mm pins wouldnt worry me eithre. Even in double shear they can take a lot of weight. 4 pins . 1 ton. 250 kg per pin. plus most likely there is a sleeve welded to the outside of the leg which would take the weight.
    It would be the sum of everything that would scare me. legs with no crossbeams. that weight that height up. even loading it would be dangerous more so of there was a bag already in it.
    Could you imagine if you got snagged in a bag as you backed out from it or tore a bag as you loaded it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone have a cutting edge mounted on the spreader to cut the ass of the big bag. Just lower the bag onto it with the loader and let it empty away. Similar to shear grab triangular cutting edge. Probably have to get down to shake out the bag but at least the danger of being near a suspended load has been greatly reduced.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a cutting edge mounted on the spreader to cut the ass of the big bag. Just lower the bag onto it with the loader and let it empty away. Similar to shear grab triangular cutting edge. Probably have to get down to shake out the bag but at least the danger of being near a suspended load has been greatly reduced.

Good idea but probably wouldnt work with the newer spreaders with the mesh screen in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Use a long handled slash hook here find it safe enough. They say never stand in between the loader and the sower that's the biggest danger.

Advertisement