Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Tarmac being laid at the White Gates end this afternoon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So I'm guessing it will be ready in the next week or two to use. I wonder who gets to cut the ribbon on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    So I'm guessing it will be ready in the next week or two to use. I wonder who gets to cut the ribbon on that?

A cyclist rather than a boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Mearings wrote: »
    A cyclist rather than a boxer.

of course it will be all about the boxer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

John Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

At Garrycastle looking west back towards town today, still some work going on further down
    403779.jpg

Looking east
    403780.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's looking well Ted. Must head out on Saturday for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Lights going up today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

It is not every day that a new facility in Athlone can bring a bit of excitement etc. I know one does not get that much of a view of the country side with those two banks on each side (of what though? bog and houses?) but hell, the idea of going on a long cycle hassle free is enticing. I hope this lane is not polluted with the underclass scum who enjoy knacker drinking - ground full of smashed glass etc

Really looking forward to giving this a spin after the excesses of Christmas dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lt Dan wrote: »
    It is not every day that a new facility in Athlone can bring a bit of excitement etc. I know one does not get that much of a view of the country side with those two banks on each side (of what though? bog and houses?) but hell, the idea of going on a long cycle hassle free is enticing. I hope this lane is not polluted with the underclass scum who enjoy knacker drinking - ground full of smashed glass etc

Really looking forward to giving this a spin after the excesses of Christmas dinner

There haven't been any reports of anti-social behaviour at the Mullingar end nor on the previously constructed section. I know this is more town central but look on the positives.

• Advertisement

There haven't been any reports of anti-social behaviour at the Mullingar end nor on the previously constructed section. I know this is more town central but look on the positives.

I certainly am. I do hope that people who witness any anti social behaviour along this stretch do report it to the police. It is not every day this region gets a really great public amenity and it is the duty of all of the community to ensure it remains in good order.

I wholeheartedly agree Dan, that the community should look after it. The odd waste collection wouldn't go amiss if anyone was up to it beyond Garrycastle, as it seems to be gathering a bit.

Having just sprung to mind, I'm has the land beside the white gates been purchased? Would make for a good shop, bike rental and car park, similar to what's in Garrycastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Having just sprung to mind, I'm has the land beside the white gates been purchased? Would make for a good shop, bike rental and car park, similar to what's in Garrycastle.

Still for sale last time I passed.

But it will not be the end of the cycle path for long - the route will continue along the tracks to Dunnes at Montree next.

Still for sale last time I passed.

But it will not be the end of the cycle path for long - the route will continue along the tracks to Dunnes at Montree next.

I presume they'll implement some method of getting down off the tracks at Montree.

Shop wars with the Crescent , lol . Is the Cova still in business :D

The Cova closed not long after the poor owner was robbed and beaten by a pair of scumbags who only got a slap on the wrist.

The Cova closed not long after the poor owner was robbed and beaten by a pair of scumbags who only got a slap on the wrist.

I am very sorry to hear that. Had I known that I would not have suggested the last post (not that it was offensive)

Lt Dan wrote: »
    I am very sorry to hear that. Had I known that I would not have suggested the last post (not that it was offensive)

Don't worry it wasn't in poor taste. A little bit of competition in the area wouldn't hurt anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Don't worry it wasn't in poor taste. A little bit of competition in the area wouldn't hurt anyone.

They have already set up a small bike hire thing at the Cresent as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Jaysus that was quick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    They have already set up a small bike hire thing at the Cresent as far as I know.

Think they have alright, seen a few new looking bikes on a rack there on Saturday morning. Cycle path looks well at the white gates.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Think they have alright, seen a few new looking bikes on a rack there on Saturday morning.

Agents for D.B. cycles over on magazine Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

drove past the gates on the Ballymahon road today and was stuck in traffic

cyclepath looks impressive going back towards Garrycastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Did they leave the Signal posts in situ or have they been removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Was on it today from Garrycastle back to White Gates - Are the lights working yet ?

TimHorton wrote: »
    Was on it today from Garrycastle back to White Gates - Are the lights working yet ?
    Went past there this evening and there were some street lights on.
    plus some strange "skidding bicycle" signs!

Looking forward to using it soon.

TimHorton wrote: »

The streetlights on that new section are working. No lights beyond Garrycastle heading for Moate/Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Some crowd using the track today at castletown, couldn't get a space in the car park there. Good to see everyone getting good use out of it!!! Great amenity for the area!

Advertisement