Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know what the distance is along the cycle way from the garrycastle exit to the white gates on the Ballymahon road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the distance is along the cycle way from the garrycastle exit to the white gates on the Ballymahon road?

There's a Strava segment for that stretch, and it says it's 2km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Google Maps agrees.

Lovely thanks, I was thinking about incorporating that section into a run so that's a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

About 2.4 km. I had a pedometer app on when I walked from the gates to the Spar.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    About 2.4 km. I had a pedometer app on when I walked from the gates to the Spar.
    Cheers all, I covered it yesterday as part of my run. From the side gate of the AIT to the white gates on Ballymahon Rd was 3km. The lights were just switched on along it, I swear I thought they were never ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Folks anyone know what the deal is with bringing bikes from Dublin to Mullingar on the train?

Specifically - can I bring four bikes (two adults two kids) normally without much bother; or are spaces not usually available.

To pre-empt potential answers: I've already rang Iarnrod Eireann and Mullingar tourist office, neither of whom can tell me.

Thanks.

Also, is there a particular stretch of the greenway that is more scenic than others......
    (I found with the Mayo one, the part between Newport and Muranney was far far nicer than Westport to Newport).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

There's generally at least one bike rack on the trains, but each rack holds (if I recall correctly) 2 bikes only. Some of the longer trains might have more, but you'd likely have to split up on the train. Depends on how big the kids bikes are, you might be able to fit them in alongside the adult bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think some Commuter trains go to Mullingar, if so you can bring as many bikes as you want off-peak. It's the Intercity Railcars that have limited access for bikes. Depending on how small the kids bikes are they could fit on top of the adult bikes.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/fleet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

on the scenery question, i'm not sure that any part of it is much more / less scenic than the rest! that said i've only cycled all of mullingar to athlone once, you're generally bordered by either trees or farmland no matter where you are on it!

agreed on the western greenway btw where there's a much bigger difference on some stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

was nearly killed today by a lad doing rollerblading

he was feckin flying it down towards Mullingar.

they'll need speed bumps soon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I love the new path from Garycastle to the Ballymahon, but the waste on either side is an eyesore. Wouldn't mind putting a group together to do a little tidy up. I'd nearly go out on my own each weekend for the exercise as well to kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭TimHorton

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I love the new path from Garycastle to the Ballymahon, but the waste on either side is an eyesore. Wouldn't mind putting a group together to do a little tidy up. I'd nearly go out on my own each weekend for the exercise as well to kill two birds with one stone.

When I climbed Croagh Patrick a few years ago I met a guy well in his 60's collecting rubbish - He climbs it everyday and everyday fills his bag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

TimHorton wrote: »
    When I climbed Croagh Patrick a few years ago I met a guy well in his 60's collecting rubbish - He climbs it everyday and everyday fills his bag.

More power to the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AshfieldM10

I was on the green way yesterday and it could do with the road sweeper . The stretch outside town is littered from broken branches from the high winds this week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was on the green way yesterday and it could do with the road sweeper . The stretch outside town is littered from broken branches from the high winds this week .

Did you inform the Council? When you say Town do you mean Athlone or Mullingar?

I'm sure the council have more to be doing than clearing away a few twigs and branches from the wind. How about people take some personal responsibility and move larger branches out of the way or look where they are going. I don't exactly see road sweepers going down country roads to clear up branches and twigs?

I'm sure the council have more to be doing than clearing away a few twigs and branches from the wind. How about people take some personal responsibility and move larger branches out of the way or look where they are going. I don't exactly see road sweepers going down country roads to clear up branches and twigs?

that's ridiculous
    of course its the council's job!
    they have the equipment and manpower.

if a tree falls on a country road, the council will come out

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AshfieldM10

I was on the greenway today and it was cleared of debris .

I was on the greenway today and it was cleared of debris .

I was as well. Not much debris alright, but a nice bit of dog poo!

• Advertisement

I was as well. Not much debris alright, but a nice bit of dog poo!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a few of those bins for such waste between the white gates and garrycastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Plenty of ****heads out today on the greenway walking thier dogs of the leash

I said wrote: »

yesterday too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You hardly expect them to let their dogs roam free?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You hardly expect them to let their dogs roam free?

Yes the dogs the dogs were off the leash roaming free

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

What a difference an f makes.

Mearings wrote: »
    What a difference an f makes.

Mea culpa,
    To all the pedantic pats out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mea culpa, To all the pedantic pats out there.

Pat is a proper name and should be capitalised.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Pat is a proper name and should be capitalised.

A pat reply?

• Advertisement

Minister for Transport Shane Ross has said that the initial approach to the Athlone to Galway section of the Dublin to Galway greenway was sub-optimal and lessons have been learned.
    Replying to a parliamentary question from Green Party TD Eamon Ryan on the development of the greenway pedestrian and cycle route from Athlone to Galway, a development which was halted in the wake of a report detailing landowners’ concerns, Minister for Transport Shane Ross said that the initial approach to the route was sub-optimal.

“It is recognised that the approach taken initially in relation to the preferred route was sub-optimal and lessons have been learned from that experience,” he told Ryan.

The minister added that his department is currently developing a new strategy to set out a cohesive approach to the development of greenways generally and it will be consulting publicly on this in the near future.

The strategy will include an approach to be taken by authorities where engagement and consultation with landowners is required

“The strategy will include a recommended approach to be taken by authorities and agencies tasked with delivering greenway infrastructure where engagement and consultation with landowners is required,” he continued, “and when finalised will inform the approach to be taken to progress the delivery of the Athlone to Galway section of the Dublin to Galway Greenway.”

The minister added that consultation on the detailed route between Athlone and Galway will take place later this year and will be informed by the new strategy when it is finalised.

Taken from the Farmers Journal

Advertisement