Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sure just use the bridge as it is ....many a walk over that as a young lad.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Marine View residents wouldnt' be happy at the cycle traffic flying past them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sure just use the bridge as it is ....many a walk over that as a young lad.
    :D

The would be a good idea until some dipshít gets hit by a train. As for Marine view, I see a number of trees have been cut down. Planning for a bridge or clearing away dead trees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The would be a good idea until some dipshít gets hit by a train. As for Marine view, I see a number of trees have been cut down. Planning for a bridge or clearing away dead trees?

Just trees dying. Those massive Leylandii were dropping very, very big branches on the path below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I can't understand negativity about the cycleway bridge. I think it will be great for Athlone.

For those concerned about it "ruining the view of the railway bridge", won't there be an even better view of the railway bridge when you're standing on the new cycleway bridge looking across at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Doesn't that railway bridge have some sort of heritage protection grade status thingy preventing any alterations without a bucket load of paperwork?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

flazio wrote: »
    Doesn't that railway bridge have some sort of heritage protection grade status thingy preventing any alterations without a bucket load of paperwork?

A bucket load of paint would be more like it. It is filthy.

THere's really nothing to stop them from moving the (centrally located) track to the south side of the bridge and constructing a segregated walkway to the north, after all the bridge was constructed for two tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Anyone have any idea where the thing will be headed once it gets off the railway line behind Dunnes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Smashmouth wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea where the thing will be headed once it gets off the railway line behind Dunnes?

Under a new tunnel into the grounds of the old hospital and then along abbey road to the marina and across a new bridge to the west bank.

The tunnel is costing several million.

Better alternative;
    From the white gates, through Beech park and Assumption road (both low traffic roads) through Wansboro's Field, new bridge across river to existing "silver mile" walk way on west bank linking two existing amenities and providing a useful second pedestrian crossing instead of adding one right beside an existing bridge for no real reason. The alternative is cheaper, doesn't disrupt town centre traffic, and doesn't require closing the rail line for several days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Down to the Marina, over the new bridge, South to Shannonbridge, up the old canal to Ballinasloe.

That's as far as the plan goes, after that they'll have to buy land from farmers, so should be sorted in 50 or 60 years time.

Under a new tunnel into the grounds of the old hospital and then along abbey road to the marina and across a new bridge to the west bank.

The tunnel is costing several million.

Better alternative;
    From the white gates, through Beech park and Assumption road (both low traffic roads) through Wansboro's Field, new bridge across river to existing "silver mile" walk way on west bank linking two existing amenities and providing a useful second pedestrian crossing instead of adding one right beside an existing bridge for no real reason. The alternative is cheaper, doesn't disrupt town centre traffic, and doesn't require closing the rail line for several days.

It's definitely through the hospital grounds? Can I ask where you heard/read that? Not doubting you or anything, just curious as I've heard speculation about it but nothing concrete.

It's definitely through the hospital grounds? Can I ask where you heard/read that? Not doubting you or anything, just curious as I've heard speculation about it but nothing concrete.

Unlless they're going to come through Green's garden and past their front door I don't see any other route, they're already going to have to go through part of Green's back garden to get to the Hospital grounds.

The rear gate of the hospital has already been removed, replaced with barriers and opened to pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Probably. But they're not making any alterations to the railway bridge.

Unlless they're going to come through Green's garden and past their front door I don't see any other route, they're already going to have to go through part of Green's back garden to get to the Hospital grounds.

The rear gate of the hospital has already been removed, replaced with barriers and opened to pedestrians and cyclists.

Yeah the other route would be through the site where they're currently working on the underpass. And that's council land, as opposed to HSE owned land which the hospital is.

Yeah the other route would be through the site where they're currently working on the underpass. And that's council land, as opposed to HSE owned land which the hospital is.

How does that get from the underpass to the road? Through Green's land?

Have a look next time you're passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

The whole site where the abattoir used to be has been completly cleared.

If I remember correctly the bikes are to go under the railway, through the hospital grounds, accross Abbey Road, around the back of the Abbey graveyard and down to the Marina. The Marina security gates will be removed which will be of great interest to the local burgling community. A number of berths will also have to be removed. Maybe there's more money to be made from bikes than from cruisers.

Have a look next time you're passing.

I'll have to go out of my way but if I'm passing I'll look.

Is the house gone or something?

Wouldn't coming out there and merging with the road right beside an essentially blind turn after the bridge be a bit, well, stupid?

I'll have to go out of my way but if I'm passing I'll look.

Is the house gone or something?

Wouldn't coming out there and merging with the road right beside an essentially blind turn after the bridge be a bit, well, stupid?

The house isn't gone but other buildings there were removed and the whole place has been greatly reconfigured. There's a fenced-off roadway connecting the tunneling site to Abbey Road, could be just for the construction or could be more permanent.

Yeah you're right it would be stupid and a nuisance for locals and anyone that uses Abbey Road in general. The hospital grounds would be far better. It would be nice to get some indication of the council's plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

surely there must have been a planning application at some point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Such a pointlessly complicated route choice just so some idiot can open a shiny new bridge in the middle of town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Such a pointlessly complicated route choice just so some idiot can open a shiny new bridge in the middle of town.

Might be better than a hoard of cyclists crossing the town bridge in busy traffic. I also though it would have been better to do up the area around Number 1 and have cyclists come out through that estate beside Iona Park and Extrusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

would a bridge along the top side of the weir not be easier?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    would a bridge along the top side of the weir not be easier?

What happens when you reach the lock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

4ensic15 wrote: »

You get the Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Just looking at the drawings re: "Old Coosan Road Overbridge", it says "PROPOSED NEWHANDRAIL ON OLDCOOSAN ROAD OVERBRIDGE".

I would suggest a Trumpian wall might be safer for the pedestrian & vehicular traffic passing underneath.

You get the Quay

You have to cross from one side of the lock to the other.

• Advertisement

You get the Quay
    You have to cross from one side of the lock to the other.
    I think you missed the joke. :p

Advertisement