Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

So we'll just stick to the roads then? Yeah, way safer, avoids all the of the problems you've listed...

I've yet to see a problem with the limited tracks that are open to horses (and walkers, and cyclists alike) with the exception of people who can't control their dogs.

I'm surprised at someone who works in the equestrian industry coming out with something like this. There are no public amenities put aside for riders, and the money and jobs that horses bring into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rips wrote: »
    I'm surprised at someone who works in the equestrian industry coming out with something like this. There are no public amenities put aside for riders, and the money and jobs that horses bring into the country.

There are - fields

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

So we'll just stick to the roads then? Yeah, way safer, avoids all the of the problems you've listed...

I've yet to see a problem with the limited tracks that are open to horses (and walkers, and cyclists alike) with the exception of people who can't control their dogs.

Like I said, it only takes one bad one to ruin it for everyone else.

Riding a horse on a shared road is fine until one idiot boy racer decides it's great craic to buzz you at 40 mph, even though 95% of drivers are sensible.

Likewise

Walking on a greenway is fine until some idiot brings a dangerous 3 year old which they can't control, which then gets spooked by some other idiots dog who they can't control either. The horse gets loose, gallops off and kills a child half a mile up the greenway around a bend who had nothing to do with the original incident, even though 95% of horse riders are sensible.

Or, even if a horse rider is completely sensible and riding a "bombproof" horse, that doesn't mean that some other asshat won't cause your horse to spook and cause an accident.

I've witnessed a particularly bad accident where someone was hit by a galloping horse, which got spooked and loose by no fault of it's rider.

I'm not anti horses, I just don't think a shared greenway is the place for them.

There are - fields

Public fields, yeah?

Sure why are they spending the money on the greenway, when you can take your bike for a spin around Tesco carpark? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Public fields, yeah?

Sure why are they spending the money on the greenway, when you can take your bike for a spin around Tesco carpark? :rolleyes:

The thing is though, they are spending it on the greenway for pedestrians and cyclists. It might not be to your liking but that is their policy. It is intended to attract the cycle tourist market too and will bring new revenue in to a lot of areas it runs through because of this also. I see where you are coming from btw as there are very few tracks available for leisure motorcycling or horseriding. So not to rain completely on your parade I think you have a point in your comment. But this track is not for either of your talked of modes of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

They aren't moving them anywhere, they are providing additional infrastructure for recreational cyclists and walkers.

Bikes will still be on the roads, thankfully.

Ah right. I completely misunderstood there. I literally thought that they were banning bicycles from the roads and moving them to the railway line. Thanks for clearing it up.
    We might make it to Moate this time if we use bikes

I wouldn't make it past Sarsfields. It's going to have to be a carry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Horses are banned from all Coillte land, national parks and other countryside tracks

they dig up the ground and cause a lot of damage to soft tracks.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Horses are banned from all Coillte land, national parks and other countryside tracks

they dig up the ground and cause a lot of damage to soft tracks.

No they are not. You can ride in most Coillte forestry with a permit, especially if it is your local forestry.

Also there are three National Way-marked Trails open to riders, unfortunately they are all based in Wicklow.

National Parks? Are you really trying to insist that you can't ride horses in Connemara National Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If it's like the Mayo Greenway I'd imagine the surface won't be suitable for horses. It's unsealed, not sure what it's made off, but it's gravelly and I'd imagine horses hooves would tear it up.

Great thread, good to see the progress.

No they are not. You can ride in most Coillte forestry with a permit, especially if it is your local forestry.

Also there are three National Way-marked Trails open to riders, unfortunately they are all based in Wicklow.

National Parks? Are you really trying to insist that you can't ride horses in Connemara National Park?

permits
    how many people actually get them?

• Advertisement

permits
    how many people actually get them?

Any local riding establishments near good forestry trails for a start, organisations like Trec Ireland, hunts and plenty of individuals (like me!)

You can usually pay any equestrian centre that holds a commercial use permit about €10 to ride on their pass with your own horse. They give riders marked tabards to identify themselves. The closest establishments like this to me personally though are 1 and 2 hours towing distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Any local riding establishments near good forestry trails for a start, organisations like Trec Ireland, hunts and plenty of individuals (like me!)

You can usually pay any equestrian centre that holds a commercial use permit about €10 to ride on their pass with your own horse. They give riders marked tabards to identify themselves. The closest establishments like this to me personally though are 1 and 2 hours towing distance.

Do you hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wicklow rider

I was in an accident where my old lady was nearly run over on the road. A car can way to close and going at least 80 ever though my mum was about 20 metres if front of me. Wearing a yellow beat and signaling them to slow. My mare bolted and I can't blame her. If I was a small child or a beginner.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

20150611_203015.jpg

20150611_202801.jpg

20150611_202718.jpg

20150611_202710.jpg

20150611_202702.jpg

20150611_202655.jpg

20150611_202651.jpg

20150611_200621.jpg

20150611_200602.jpg

20150611_200610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Is the compacted sand & gravel the final surface?

I'd hope not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

So is it only paved from Moate to Garrycastle so far?

Mullingar to Gary castle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Mullingar to Gary castle...

Ah that unpaved rail line had me confused. Thought it was from Moate onwards. Where is it?

Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

Is there a website that shows the plans and progress of this ?

It will be a great asset to the region and definitely increase the tourism opportunities. I wonder will the surface be suitable for cycling on with a road bike with narrow tyre's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The route from Athlone to Galway is unclear. Would one assume that it is to be on the R446 (old N6) from the Shannon onwards?

The route from Athlone to Galway is unclear. Would one assume that it is to be on the R446 (old N6) from the Shannon onwards?

you'd think that
    that road is very quiet since the motorway went in
    I've a feeling that the route will go from Ballinasloe to Athenry via New Inn as it is more direct route

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

you'd think that
    that road is very quiet since the motorway went in
    I've a feeling that the route will go from Ballinasloe to Athenry via New Inn as it is more direct route

The R446 is not suitable for a greenway.

It would even be hard to make it suitable as long-distance segregated route for utility cycling. It's not at all suitable as a greenway project aimed mainly for tourism and recreational cycling.

It could be done but by the time it would be done more people would be asking why the farm land option was not taken.

For most of the R446 to work as a segregated walking and cycling route you'd have to gut what is there, lower speeds of 50km/h or under, likely make it a local access route with no through traffic, have small or large cycle route detours for all towns and current R446 sections which are also used by N or R routes.

The development pattern of towns and one-off housing would make this hard. And you'd be left wondering if it could be made into a decent greenway route even with major changes.

The objections to such a plan from some commuters etc could make the objections to the farmland plan look small.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

Its not open yet. But surface at Mullingar end looks great.

mullingar%2Bathlone%2Bgreenway.jpg

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Oh wow! That looks wonderful. Does anyone know when it opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

Mid September I think
    TheBody wrote: »
    Oh wow! That looks wonderful. Does anyone know when it opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

bovis wrote: »
    Mid September I think

Surface looks great, wondered what kind of finish it'd get! Will be a great facility when done

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Must get a new bike in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A few more pics on Twitter, no idea whereabouts they were taken.

https://twitter.com/PoggyG1/status/633702722961866757

Advertisement