Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

CapnHex wrote: »
    I imagine in the summer, Moate station platform might have a few pop-up stalls as this is 12kms from Athlone end, so a nice family spin.
    The Athlone side of the Moate station, in the Dun na Si park, there's a café that opens in the summer. And all year round the golf club just behind the Station serves food and drink.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Now that I have a bike again, I may head down the trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I did this cycle last week. It was so boring. Would be grand as a means of getting from mullingar to athlone, but for a spin on my bike, I don't think I will ever do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I did this cycle last week. It was so boring. Would be grand as a means of getting from mullingar to athlone, but for a spin on my bike, I don't think I will ever do it again.
    Which direction did you cycle, Athlone > Mullingar or Mullingar > Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

Which direction did you cycle, Athlone > Mullingar or Mullingar > Athlone?

I did mullingar to athlone last year, there isn't a massive amount to see on the way, but it is a plesent way to spend the day. One issue I have with it is there isn't any signage directing you to the start of the greenway or how to get into athlone town centre, having said that it wasn't officially opened yet , so they may have fixed that by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i guess it's a trade-off between being traffic free (safe) and a bit boring versus out on the open road with traffic passing at close quarters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

i guess it's a trade-off between being traffic free (safe) and a bit boring versus out on the open road with traffic passing at close quarters!

Some cyclists aren't happy if there's not enough onlookers at their cocked up arse,s on their bikes.
    I ve cycled it all and loved it, peaceful and carefree and for a fiftysomething, easily managed and if you had kiddies out for a pedal along, excellent.
    Not a major test for athletic cyclists I admit but I don't think it was meant for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm on the committee there and Moate Golf Club is very welcoming to cyclists. If you wanted to combine 2 sports during the summer sometime we have some golf clubs for hire.

Padraig (who runs the restaurant part) has even installed a substantial bike rack to make things more secure for visitors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you wanted to combine 2 sports during the summer sometime we have some golf clubs for hire.

Cycle Golf? In all Seriousness, seems like a good idea having a few amenities close to the cycle path.

^ I knew someone would think of that way, might have known it would be you Itzy. Unfortunately we'll have to make sure the bikes are well secure in the bike rack before letting you loose with clubs ;)

• Advertisement

I noticed a good few cyclists availing of the Moate Golf Club cycle racks and restaurant facilities yesterday which is great!

I noticed a good few cyclists availing of the Moate Golf Club cycle racks and restaurant facilities yesterday which is great!
    The cycleway was busy yesterday. I went for a run on it and when I got back to the car at Moate station, the car parks there and at the golf club were both nearly full. Good to see.

^ We were busier than usual as we had a Grand Final on yesterday. It would be fantastic if it was that busy every week. Hope you enjoyed your run!

And now we're seeing the benefits of the greenway. It's brilliant to see and there might be a few additional spots like it set up along the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Had a spin from Athlone to Moate Golf Club yesterday morning at 7.30. Was surprised to see people out running and peddling too at that hour.
    It is pretty boring alright.
    I wonder will they do the stretch near Garrycastle with the smooth tarmac or why was that stretch left as it is.
    Might also be an idea to run along it with one of those brush machines to give it a wipe. Plenty of stones and things on it now.

It's a great thing to have in the place all the same

I haven't actually been down to the Garrycastle end but I'm wondering if the stretch you are referring too is the boggy bit they cant tarmac as the ground keeps shifting anyway? Maybe I'm wrong but I think I heard something about a particular stretch that just couldn't be tarmacked.

I wonder will they do the stretch near Garrycastle with the smooth tarmac or why was that stretch left as it is.
    Might also be an idea to run along it with one of those brush machines to give it a wipe. Plenty of stones and things on it now.

I haven't been that far since the Autumn. But if it's the same part I'm thinking of, around Glenwood & Creggan, a friend was telling me it's gravel there because it's in a boggy area and if tarmac was put down it could sink or settle causing the track to become uneven or even dangerous to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I haven't been that far since the Autumn. But if it's the same part I'm thinking of, around Glenwood & Creggan, a friend was telling me it's gravel there because it's in a boggy area and if tarmac was put down it could sink or settle causing the track to become uneven or even dangerous to cyclists.

that's what i've heard too from a few sources but it seems to have a strong whiff off it tbh! no surface problems with the motorway run across the same bog or with the train line there previously.

What ever the situation with the route maybe, I'm looking forward to using it.

Itzy wrote: »
    What ever the situation with the route maybe, I'm looking forward to using it.

I used it a few early mornings and evenings during the winter in the dark with bike lights, around 20k trips, 10 out and back to Mullingar just to keep in shape. Great not to have to worry about road traffic.
    I ve moved about 25 miles away now and miss it being handy.
    Its great.

• Advertisement

I may have a job in Westport, so I'll want to make use of it before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Itzy wrote: »
    I may have a job in Westport, so I'll want to make use of it before then.

If you're in westport you can use the greenway up there, which is a lovely cycle.

Ah brilliant.

http://www.greenway.ie/index.html for details on entry and exit points and even bike rentals.

There's a newly opened bike shop in Moate as well. Are they doing rentals?

There's a newly opened bike shop in Moate as well. Are they doing rentals?

I'd imagine they are. You can alsy get rental's from the Spar in Garrycastle on the Athlone end of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Redbishop wrote: »
    I used it a few early mornings and evenings during the winter in the dark with bike lights, around 20k trips, 10 out and back to Mullingar just to keep in shape. Great not to have to worry about road traffic.
    I ve moved about 25 miles away now and miss it being handy.
    Its great.

That's the ticket. I'd say you felt like you were doing 100kph on a small track in the dark with close edges.

Has anyone seen any local commercial enterprise from the amenity? Cafe's, bike rentals, repair/spare shops? Beer stops, B&B's even?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's the ticket. I'd say you felt like you were doing 100kph on a small track in the dark with close edges.

Has anyone seen any local commercial enterprise from the amenity? Cafe's, bike rentals, repair/spare shops? Beer stops, B&B's even?

Did you bother to read the last couple of pages at all?

John_Rambo wrote: »

Even if businesses benefit not a jot it's irrelevant, it's a leasure amenity, not a business venture. When the length from Dublin Central to Galway is complete it will start to generate tourism on a large scale as it will offer a unique experience for tourists. As it is its a local leasure amenity between two large towns and a few small villages in the Midlands and should be discussed as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Redbishop wrote: »
    Did you bother to read the last couple of pages at all?

Ah, the thread had progressed more than I thought, thanks for your kind words, good communicator. wink.png
    Even if businesses benefit not a jot it's irrelevant, it's a leasure amenity, not a business venture. When the length from Dublin Central to Galway is complete it will start to generate tourism on a large scale as it will offer a unique experience for tourists. As it is its a local leasure amenity between two large towns and a few small villages in the Midlands and should be discussed as such.

I think enterprising non-local and local and entrapanours will decide on the business opportunities on the amenity. Not you! Just as much as boards.ie will decide what will be discussed here, not you!

Get a blog if you feel the discussion needs to go your way only.

Advertisement