Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for pneumatic carousel

Options
  • 19-04-2015 5:13pm

Hi folks,

I'll try and keep this simple. The boss in work is looking for me to rig up a pneumatic plastic bag carousel we have to a timer. Basically its connected to air lines as well as a 230v supply. When the supply is powered on it engages the pneumatic device which turns the carousel one section. What I want to do is wire up someting that can be set to send a 2 second 230v pulse to the carousel making it turn but I want to be able to adjust how often this happens to the second (between 1 minute and 1 hour or more) and make it easy for the staff in work to adjust it accordingly. The carousel holds 10 plastic bags that catch the thousands parts our machines produce to save sorting them by hand. The machines also tells me how long it will take to produce these parts so lets say I programme it to make 10,000 parts the machine says it will take 30 mins to do that. I want to be able to set the timer to move the carousel every 1000 parts/every 3 minutes if ye get me.

I'm a sparks by the way. Just haven't worked in the trade in a while so am a bit rusty.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to say the machine used to have a PLC but some genius removed it for no reason at all. Don't wanna go down the PLC route anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

One of the small micro PLCs would be the easiest option, and it's how I would do it, ultimately it would be cheaper and quicker to install.

However if you really want to avoid using a plc have a look at the H5CX range from OMRON. using that you should be easily able to alter the timer values.

You probably also need to wire up a relay or two and a short pulse timer to give you the 2 second output and then reset the main timer.

I would suggest that you could also look at a counter instead, if it's feasible to get a signal from the upstream machine, it might be a lot more accurate.

Either way you will you need to get some WD40 into the rusty brain cells :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

A time clock and a time relay will do what you want. Bit messy but no programming. Plc would be the job

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I would suggest a Zelio programmable relay http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/sites/uk/en/products-services/automation-control/products-offer/relays-micro-plcs/programmable-relays/zelio-logic.page

Comes with timers and relay contacts. I've found these really easy to use over the years.

Advertisement