Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree half dead? - Help

Options
  • 19-04-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers. Bought a house with a garden last year and finally getting round to doing something with the garden. Would never have done any gardening before so haven't really got a clue what I'm doing.

Anyway the house has a bunch of those cone shaped (when trimmed properly) evergreen trees. However most of them are as much brown as they are green (attached photos)

Any idea if there is anything I can do to restore them? I assume miracle grow won't work here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Cut the dead bits out

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

In general it's a hard place they live in with all the gravel. Probably they don't like that very much...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It's hard to see from the pic but they look like Cupressus Wilma/Goldcrest. I doubt if they will recover so I would think about replacing them with someting else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you can consider them lost, conifers don't tend to come back once they start to go like that. Probably poor planting conditions (provided there is good soil under the gravel, the gravel is not a problem - acts as a good mulch) or cold, or drought. You have large sections of branches gone completely dead. You could cut them out and see how they get on, but I don't really hold out much hope in the long run, they could stay like that for a couple of years but I doubt they will completely recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Could also be a pest, like red spider mite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement