Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork built military Interceptor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭sparky42

I wonder who if anyone is the customer, looks like a nice piece of kit, very Bond/Batman look.

Take cover, the Lefties are coming to shut them down!

Take cover, the Lefties are coming to shut them down!

That will only happen if they actually manage to sell it to anyone, then the OUTRAGE will be EPIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'm going to get 3 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Never heard about this. It went under the radar!:)

• Advertisement

Geniass wrote: »
    Never heard about this. It went under the radar!:)

Yeah, they do seem to have kept it off the news. That's why I'm wondering if they have a customer backing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

That looks amazing!
    Could the NS use a couple?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Silvera wrote: »
    That looks amazing!
    Could the NS use a couple?! :D

Do we need them ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do we need them ?

My question too, I'm delighted that they are getting work but I don't see how/why we would need them (same as when somebody thought we should buy some of the boats they made for Poland). To me they make more sense for areas like te Gulf bases where the West does station such boats to prevent a USS Cole style attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

They have been supplying pilot boats around the world over the last few years, don't really think they are building this for an Irish market. They must have some market for it to input the time and money into R&D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do we need them ?

Fast intercept of suspicious craft close to shore?

Silvera wrote: »
    Fast intercept of suspicious craft close to shore?

Unless you plan on buying enough to base everywhere I don't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Politically we may never be able to make guns and other weapons systems for export as the political elite here would never stomach it. Many without jobs could be put to work making fast sea and land vehicles for sale abroad, let the buyers get their weapons elsewhere to keep the moral guardians happy.

Many items of a non weapons nature could be manufactured here for sale abroad, for example uniforms, protective equipment, helmets, various visual aids optics etc and electronic comms and info systems, battle field surviellance drones etc.

Many of our existing companies use technologies not far removed from technologies used in NCB detection and protection (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological ).

The trouble is that the people without work having to emigrate by force etc. do not have any say in a decision to enter any form of arms industry, while those in safe pensionable jobs already with fat salaries have too much say to block any move into such a lucrative market. Switzerland (Bofors ), Belgium ( FN),Austria (Steyr) are all small countries who have much lower unemployment rates and much higher wages than here and are not afraid to sell arms on the international market.

I do not think that we as a nation can afford any longer to not at least try to make an entry into the industry. It would probably need a high level of security given the existence of subversive and obstructive elements and agents of protest in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That is some boat, right there. If I was rich I'd have one just for the craic. It shows many people to the east of the island that Ireland, too, has skills and inventiveness right up there with the latest technology and craftsmanship.

@Mr doolox - Bofors is Swedish, not Swiss, and make products that are on almost every warship ever built in the west that is not French [they have Creuseot]. Oerlikon IS Swiss. Apart from that little point, I fully agree with your post.

As ever, the journalist gets mud in his eye with the trite comment about a 'rapid-fire machine-gun'. There has yet to be a slow-firing machine gun - rapidity of fire is the reason why the machine-gun was developed in the first place.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Seen her moored in Marlogue the other evening, was sunset so didnt get a great look but will prob go down again this evening or tomorrow. Shes actually quite small up close but must be said impressive looking thing

With all those flat plane surfaces, it would probably be a breeze to make a convincing model. I'll talk to some friends of mine who build models like this for a living. I'm thinking maybe 70-80 cm and satin-finish black all over.

Scare the ever-livin' carp out of the ducks!

Any more pics would be gratefully received, if anybody here is local and handy with a camera.

tac

rocky911 wrote: »
    Seen her moored in Marlogue the other evening, was sunset so didnt get a great look but will prob go down again this evening or tomorrow. Shes actually quite small up close but must be said impressive looking thing

Hmmm , might nip out to east ferry for a nosey - ( well actually to Murphs for a bulmers on a nice evening on way home ) any excuse -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sparky42 wrote: »
    That will only happen if they actually manage to sell it to anyone, then the OUTRAGE will be EPIC
    I remember lol'ing when the outrage when someone found out that some company (Thales) up North makes missiles.

the_syco wrote: »
    I remember lol'ing when the outrage when someone found out that some company (Thales) up North makes missiles.

I know, those dastardly Northerner's, hope they don't notice Timoney's work...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

http://www.safehavenmarine.com/2014%20BARRACUDA%20press%20release%20page.htm

They put up lots of pictures, videos and specs on their website.

Many thanks for that post, Nim - much obligerated!

tac

Is it the type of boat that could be launched from a ship ? Would it increase the capability of an opv (or bigger ) ? Or just be less versatile than a rib and take up deck space where a rib should be -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement