Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vector pedals

• 19-04-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Used a set of these today on a bike. However I was having trouble with their use. I was going up a hill out of breath 182bpm on the HR monitor and it's reading 30w instead of 300+watts. The watts then went to 0watts and then 20 watts and this was all happening up a hill and I almost out of breath.What is the problem here? Are these garmin vectors gimmicks or what? My stages powermeter never misreads like that.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

where they installed correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

dc rainmakers review an comments re proper installation.. skip to the troubleshooting section

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmin-vector-review.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

they obviously haven't been torque'd correctly to 34-40Nm. i have mine a few months and they always show correctly (well, i think its correct!)

Also, I have noticed that whatever ANT+ items you have connected at the time of installation need to be connected when re-calibrating at a later time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I've been using them for months and no accuracy issues, if you have installed, torqued and calibrating them properly then they will function as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

markusz wrote: »
    they obviously haven't been torque'd correctly to 34-40Nm. i have mine a few months and they always show correctly (well, i think its correct!)

Also, I have noticed that whatever ANT+ items you have connected at the time of installation need to be connected when re-calibrating at a later time.

It was working fine on my first ride and saved it. Then I started 2-3 different rides but didnt calibrate it. Could that be the problem?

On the garmin video on YouTube the installer advises to tighten the pedals firmly using a pedal wrench and if you have a torque wrench, then by all means go and tighten it to required specification. By my understanding it isn't a must having a torque wrench but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

markusz wrote: »

It was working fine on my first ride and saved it. Then I started 2-3 different rides but didnt calibrate it. Could that be the problem?

On the garmin video on YouTube the installer advises to tighten the pedals firmly using a pedal wrench and if you have a torque wrench, then by all means go and tighten it to required specification. By my understanding it isn't a must having a torque wrench but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Maybe your just really crap?
    Seriously though, most of the examples I've come across have been temperamental as hell with torque. And to answer your question about them being a gimmick? Yes, I think they are. They just don't seem to hold up on Irish roads, I've lost track of how many I've seen being sent off on warranty in the last 3 months even.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Amprodude wrote: »

Every video put the garmin video suggests that if you dont torque it to the correct torque you wont get accurate or repeatable readings. I think the manual says the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

They are fussy, no doubt. I accept that, and have not gotten used to when they are telling porkies. I think the flexibility of them between bikes is still worth the messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How much do these fancy pedals cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

i got my Vector S on sale @ rosebikes.com for 623 euro delivered.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of all the brands I've tried (Powertap, Quarq and SRM being the others) I find them the most frustrating. With my first set I was having to re-torque before every ride and they were not recording power when the should have been. On my second set now but it's really only back-up, on the spare bike or to be transferred to one of the others if its PM is "incapacitated" for any reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Once torqued correctly they're fine, you also need to take the batteries out for a while after changing bikes with them so they'll re-calculate the installation angles or if you re-torque them

d4r3n wrote: »
    Once torqued correctly they're fine, you also need to take the batteries out for a while after changing bikes with them so they'll re-calculate the installation angles or if you re-torque them

There should be none of that messing around for pedals system that are the bones of a grand. They should be bulletproof for that price.

Maybe your just really crap?

Maybe I am but even the crappy riders are entitled to use power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

There should be none of that messing around for pedals system that are the bones of a grand. They should be bulletproof for that price.

Sure torquing only takes a second, as does popping out the batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

d4r3n wrote: »
    Sure torquing only takes a second, as does popping out the batteries.

i love how my garmin cadence meter (the newer one) just works, head unit finds it and were off.. i know its a different less complex bit of kit to a p-meter but i get amprodudes frustration.. for big bucks you want to just hop on the bike and have it work everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Well said Amprodude.

Correct torquing would be where I woukd start from and if that don't fix the readings to within the normal +/- range, I would be following up with point of sale/dealer.

I assume there are no medical factors here? No need to go into if there are. Just saying there can be a physiological reason for lower readings ( which are measured correctly by the PM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Is was a joke about the 30watt readings mate...:rolleyes:

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Well said Amprodude.

Correct torquing would be where I woukd start from and if that don't fix the readings to within the normal +/- range, I would be following up with point of sale/dealer.

I assume there are no medical factors here? No need to go into if there are. Just saying there can be a physiological reason for lower readings ( which are measured correctly by the PM)

I will get a torque wrench and torque it correctly. Would I be able to get one of these in a LBS? I had a look this evening at the setup and I noticed one of the black clips that stick into the pedals had fallen out. I noticed when spinning the crank that the cadence was hitting 0 so I knew something wasnt right. I refitted the pedals clipped in the black clips and calibrated and it worked fine again. I will get a torque wrench though to make sure it falls into the required specification.

• Advertisement

Is was a joke about the 30watt readings mate...:rolleyes:

I was joking too :)

Advertisement