Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Disappointment

• 19-04-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Ive done a bit of pike fishing back in North West of Ireland in the Shannon and lakes close by with varying success, so im not new to the whole pike fishing game.

I decided to give the Royal canal a go this weekend. Based on a drive and a little online research i narrowed down to 2 spots around the Dublin/Kildare boarder.

Saturday:
    Weather - probably a little bright. quite sunny.
    Water - very clear.
    Bait - floating poppers, jelly eels, and various sinking plugs.
    Range Covered: about 3km
    Time: 10am - 2pm
    Result: Nothing

Sunday:
    Weather - overcast, much nicer.
    Water - quite clear. looks like grass cutter was on part of this stretch recently, not sure if thats good or bad ( probably bad)
    Bait - floating poppers, jelly eels, and various sinking plugs, mostly smaller lures to see if there are any perch.
    Range Covered: about 5km
    Time: 3pm - 6pm
    Result: one bite, i saw him, a jack pike but wasnt hooked.

For the amount of ground covered, i would have expected at least a few takes and possibly a few small perch. If you know the right spot and the right time you can get a perch on every cast out in the Shannon.

Just curious if anyone here regularly fishes the royal canal and if so, is it worth pursuing further?

note: not giving out exact locations fished as im aware its not the best practice with all the poaching, even if the fishing was terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I turned two today but both turned once the sun hit them on the surface.
    Fish are very sensitive to the sun and will pretty much avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You will not match the North West or Shannon on the royal. No comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

You will not match the North West or Shannon on the royal. No comparison.

Ha! Your bang on with that! I didnt really expect to match it at all though, a single very small jack pike would have made me happy enough.

Does make me all the more appreciative of the rivers and lakes back West though!

Advertisement