Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cocker spaniel eyes

• 19-04-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

one of my 5 month old cocker spaniels eyes looks quite red sometimes... i don't know if its something i should be worried about!

this is quite a bad picture of his eye! the other one looks fine!

acr53c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Are his bottom eyelids droopy? Or are the whites of his eyes red?

If it's the latter, does pull on the lead a lot?

Best ask a vet to be sure if you are concerned.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

its the white under his eye i think and yes he does pull on the lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

His eye lids look loose & if thats the case it can leave the eye open to irritation. It can happen in some gundog breeds. A trip to the vet would be no harm as he may need eye drops & check for entropian/ectropian. It is hard to tell from a photo. Surgical correction can be performed in some dogs to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭jimf

not easy to see from photo but does he have a bit of a discharge from eye as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

I have a black cocker - snap! fabulous dogs!

His eyes does look very droppy to be honest, i would probably take a trip to the vet... he may need to get something done....i clean my guys eyes each day with luke warm water... gentley

if your guy is a puller, dont use a normal neck collar and don't use the halti or gentle leader head collars - they will pull his eyes far worse.

I use the dogmatic and find it brilliant... it stops him from pulling without hurting his eyes

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Advertisement

he has a harness so it shouldn't really be due to pulling! i will make an appointment with the vet then to have a look!

i don't want to keep bringing him because then they will think i am a hypochondriac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My cocker has pretty droopy eyes too, OP. She's gone 11 years old and didn't have any problems with them until after she was 9 years old. She sometimes gets mild infections now (once or twice a year), and a course of eyedrops clears them up. Her's go quite red on hot days or when she's exerting herself.

By all means get them checked out, but it's likely that's it's just the way he is. Unless he's showing signs of being irritated by them or there's discharge, I wouldn't worry too much.

92dfb22f-2890-4e11-bc8d-1f7efa1e3285_zpsihknwwyo.jpg

92dfb22f-2890-4e11-bc8d-1f7efa1e3285_zpsihknwwyo.jpg

hi i think your cocker has a more severe version of my dogs eye... its only noticeable sometimes and only really now as i am very aware of it!

He is only 5 months old so obviously don't want it to get worse over time!

hi just a update i took Lotso to the vet and he was prescribed drops... his eye is quite droopy but the vet thinks it may be due to a underlying infection. If the drops don't work we will be referred to a ophthalmologist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ene wrote: »
    hi just a update i took Lotso to the vet and he was prescribed drops... his eye is quite droopy but the vet thinks it may be due to a underlying infection. If the drops don't work we will be referred to a ophthalmologist

Fingers crossed the drops get it sorted out op!

Do you have pet insurance? Only reason I ask is if u need to go down a further route to cost could be substantial!

Hope ur dog is ok x

• Advertisement
Advertisement