Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare 10k Saturday 27th June 2015

Options
  • 19-04-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I see this is on again this year, has anyone ran it before?
    I see reports on older threads about it been short?
    What's the course like? Any one have a link?
    Thanks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I see this is on again this year, has anyone ran it before?
    I see reports on older threads about it been short?
    What's the course like? Any one have a link?
    Thanks?

Not to knock the race, i have never ran it, but i asked them twice on there facebook page if the distance would be correct this year. Both messages were not answered & deleted. I'm in that part of the world when the race is one and planned on doing it, wont be now if thats there attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm not sure which year I did it, either 2012 or 2013. It's definitely short on the garmin, by between 200 - 300 metres. The course hasn't been changed as far as I know. Fast enough course regardless with a testing last kilometre. As tang1 said, the most annoying thing about it all is the deleting of messages and the failure to address the issue publicly. The second most annoying thing is that the finish is on a running track, with over half of it unused, so the scope is there to add the missing distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Might send off an email to them, it's a bit silly on their behalf, it's billed as Clare's biggest 10k road race and it's for a good cause, you'd think they'd address it. Even if it's not short just get it measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have ran this twice (a few years ago) and it was deffo short both times by a few hundred metres.

I guess the majority of fun-runners, walkers etc. mightn't notice/care but it's very annoying for anyone that takes it remotely seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Found the link.. eventually! It's not as short as I recall it being. I do remember being quite pissed off at the time, but this was made worse when they deleted my legitimate questions about the course measurement. If they had just said 'We have had the course measured accurately. Due to the tree cover on part of the course it appears that many garmins read incorrectly' they wouldn't have to deal with the ongoing questions from so many people (having looked at the gramin trace, thats not it, just an example). I haven't gone back since, and I probably would if they just sorted out the measurement and communication issue. The only other fault was cotton tshirts, not sure if this is rectified since. Apart from all that, a decent 10k with a track finish!

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/195015820

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Found the link.. eventually! It's not as short as I recall it being. I do remember being quite pissed off at the time, but this was made worse when they deleted my legitimate questions about the course measurement. If they had just said 'We have had the course measured accurately. Due to the tree cover on part of the course it appears that many garmins read incorrectly' they wouldn't have to deal with the ongoing questions from so many people (having looked at the gramin trace, thats not it, just an example). I haven't gone back since, and I probably would if they just sorted out the measurement and communication issue. The only other fault was cotton tshirts, not sure if this is rectified since. Apart from all that, a decent 10k with a track finish!

The cotton t-shirts were sorted last year. Tec-t's for everyone. Like has been mentioned it is a good coarse but your garmin will read short for whatever reason. It tends to be a PB coarse for most. You can take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

gl0Rob wrote: »
    The cotton t-shirts were sorted last year. Tec-t's for everyone. Like has been mentioned it is a good coarse but your garmin will read short for whatever reason. It tends to be a PB coarse for most. You can take from that what you will.

Are you involved in organising it rob?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Are you involved in organising it rob?

No, just ran it last year and the year before .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭regularkev

JohnDozer wrote: »

I've run this race twice now, and both times it showed up as 6.1 miles on my Garmin. There is no way an accurately measured course would consistency appear short, usually I get 1.01 miles on a Garmin for every real mile.

The two reasons I would not go back are that 1) they refused to acknowledge that the course is short and even said I must have taken the short cut at the Abbey Bridge (I stayed on the road both times) and 2) the really infuriating fact that they have so much scope to make the course correct by either moving the start back 100 metres or so or just use more of the Lee's Rd track at the end of the race.

Advertisement