Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal canal ashtown "private property" signs

Options
  • 19-04-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows the background to the hand painted signs appearing along the canal at ashtown? Also there's a similar sign saying kens site up at the train crossing.

There's a guy hanging around in a jeep daily, I moved in to the side of the path so he could pass one morning last week and he just stared at me as he passed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Spotted those myself, there was a house there years ago and the site of two old schools at the back of the petrol station but I thought the land was in public ownership now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There's a guy hanging around in a jeep daily, I moved in to the side of the path so he could pass one morning last week and he just stared at me as he passed.
    AFAIK there is a small block of private land on the Ashtown side of the Navan Road Parkway train station.

You should contact Waterways Ireland on 01-868-0148 (their office at Ashtown roundabout) and express your safety concerns that a jeep is driving along the towpath. While he may be permitted, Waterways Ireland might have a word with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There is a private plot there alright, I remember when it was up for sale and vaguely considering buying it myself but the access problems and the general swampiness of the plot put me off. I'd imagine there is an existing right of way there allowing access to the site, so he'd be within his rights to drive up to it. I think this is where the so called 'Castleknock Allotments' were to be sited, same guy anyway akaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gaspode wrote: »
    I'd imagine there is an existing right of way there allowing access to the site, so he'd be within his rights to drive up to it.
    That's what I thought, though he should behave appropriately as he is driving on a pedestrianised route.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

That chap lives in Ashtown, and is actually very sound to chat to. Maybe the signs have something to do with Insurance requirements ? At least he hasn't stuck a metal fence up and covered the place in tarmac :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

Spoke to him yesterday, he owns the land up as far as the train station, he's all right once you get talking to him. He was telling me that he has a right of way up as far as the barrier (that's why its there). When they constructed the walkway he commissioned a health and safety report that concluded that it was too narrow from his land to Ashtown to accommodate all the traffic but they went ahead without widening it. He's been driving up there since he bought the land and now people are looking at him as if he has no right to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

namoosh wrote: »
    Spoke to him yesterday, he owns the land up as far as the train station, he's all right once you get talking to him. He was telling me that he has a right of way up as far as the barrier (that's why its there). When they constructed the walkway he commissioned a health and safety report that concluded that it was too narrow from his land to Ashtown to accommodate all the traffic but they went ahead without widening it. He's been driving up there since he bought the land and now people are looking at him as if he has no right to be there.

The problem is cause the barrier is so far up people can drive up and dump anything they want. It looks like he isn't helping the situation with his horse box up on blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

The problem is cause the barrier is so far up people can drive up and dump anything they want. It looks like he isn't helping the situation with his horse box up on blocks.

he must have heard you, went for a walk there this eve and its gone!!

Advertisement