Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is too long?

Options
  • 20-04-2015 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

We have a 6 week old baby. She originally woke every 3-4 hours for a feed during the night. Lately she has been sleeping much longer. She started with a few 6 hour stretches and then the last couple of nights slept 8 hours. She is here beside me in her crib now fast asleep and has been for the last 9 hours!

Whilst I'm enjoying the extra bit of sleep, I am just wondering should I be concerned? Should I be waking her for a feed after a certain amount of time?

(She is a formula fed baby and the gp was happy with her weight gain at 6wk check-up)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

You will have a lot of other people who will be very jealous of you.

It's been 3 years since our youngest was born so I can't remember figures but is she is getting enough milk throughout the day I would say let her sleep and you catch up on the sleep you haven't been getting.

We made the mistake of waking our eldest up in the middle of the night to feed her and I honestly think it prolonged the broken nights. Our middle child spent the first 6 or so weeks in NICU so we got him back fully trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Let sleeping babies lie! Congratulations on your new arrival ... Hope you're enjoying parenthood.
    Babies often hit a growth spurt at 5 weeks after which they sleep much better. Don't get too hung up on sleeping ... As long as he/she is still gaining weight, don't wake him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Oh wow, congrats on the sleeping baby Kauto! so jealous! we're getting the odd 5 hr stretch between feeds. in my opinion let the baby sleep, she'll wake when she's hungry, at this stage she won't let herself starve! she has found her own routine and is starting to sleep through the night for you!!
    my cousina breastfed baby started going from 11 at night to 5 in morning at 2 weeks, she had everyone saying that was too young but she let him at it and he's happy, healthy and still sleeping through the night at 4 months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Oh good lord let the baby sleep we went through 3 months of torture every 2 hours but thank god he got better he's now 5 months and sleeping 13 to 14 hours.if they are hungry they will wake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Not sure we ever hit 9 hours but we had periods of long stretches maybe up to 6-7 hours. They eventually ended and it all came back to reality. I put it down to growth spurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Let her sleep. My first was the exact same and like you i was worried. she will wake when shebis hungry.
    Enjoy it. My second is 12 months and rarely sleeps the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

Unless you've a reason to be concerned, let her sleep!!!She'll let you know when she's hungry.
    The time may come when you wish she's sleeping like that, so enjoy it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My 12 week old has been sleeping 8-10rs for weeks now. He may surface to mooch for a soother but not with hunger. I make sure he gets enough bottles during the day. For the last week his last feed is turning into a dream feed too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

by 6 weeks all 4 of mine slept for 6-8 hours a night,once they get enough food during the day I would not worry. my youngest slept 6 hours a night from week 2,had she been the 1st I would have being panicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I all take the opposite tack.
    Leaving a young baby that long without fluids would leave them open to dehydration.

If you can give a bottle while asleep grand but no more than 4 hours.
    My second was drinking 7 oz at four days every 2-3 hours.
    He still wakes a night at 16 months for a bottle :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I all take the opposite tack.
    Leaving a young baby that long without fluids would leave them open to dehydration.

If you can give a bottle while asleep grand but no more than 4 hours.
    My second was drinking 7 oz at four days every 2-3 hours.
    He still wakes a night at 16 months for a bottle :(

Have had absolutely no issues with dehydration and doc says no problem at all with him sleeping that long that early

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

We were told that once baby hits the 5kg weight mark, just let them sleep as long as they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Thanks everyone! I guess I will relax and enjoy my nights of sleep! :-D

Advertisement