Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam new anti phishing feature

• 20-04-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-steam-policy-limits-low-spending-accounts-to-curb-scams-and-spam/

Unless you have a fiver in your account you cant do the below, good idea I think. Assume this is for new accounts and not retro active? Will have to put money into Kids accounts if retro.
    Sending friend invites
    Opening group chat
    Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
    Participating in the Steam Market
    Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
    Gaining Steam Profile Levels (Locked to level 0) and Trading Cards
    Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
    Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions
    Accessing the Steam Web API
    Using browser and mobile chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

unless they've historically spent $5 or more in the store, or have $5 sitting in their Steam wallet.

So you don't need to keep $5 in the account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nope, just as long as you have spent the equivalent of $5 then you are golden

it's a good idea but will obviously piss off a certain amount of people who only use their accounts for free games, but that is inevitable when you implement something like this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely a good idea. Might reduce the amount of absolute **** that gets greenlight as well, though i'll believe it when i see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Skerries wrote: »
    nope, just as long as you have spent the equivalent of $5 then you are golden

it's a good idea but will obviously piss off a certain amount of people who only use their accounts for free games, but that is inevitable when you implement something like this

Surely cant be many like that though. I think the benefit easily outweighs that cost in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Think nearly everyone has spent at least a fiver on Steam (summer sale, cough, cough)

It could be a good idea to cut down on fake reviews, scams, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Fantastic move by Steam and one that is long overdue.

I think it should be $10 or more myself

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I think it should be $10 or more myself

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Why?

To really put off potential spammers / account hackers.

Whilst $5 will help stem new/bogus accounts getting created willy-nilly, it still is a small amount to these sort of people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    To really put off potential spammers / account hackers.

Whilst $5 will help stem new/bogus accounts getting created willy-nilly, it still is a small amount to these sort of people.

I have doubts that a min $10 spend would be any more effective than a min $5 spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely a good idea. Might reduce the amount of absolute **** that gets greenlight as well, though i'll believe it when i see it.

Yeah, bad things happen when a Greenlight game gets "maliciously" linked on Twitter. Say hello to all our new friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I have doubts that a min $10 spend would be any more effective than a min $5 spend.
    Moonboy is right, $5 is not enough to keep all the trolls and scammers away but if they set it too high then people would make a fuss.

Moonboy is right, $5 is not enough to keep all the trolls and scammers away but if they set it too high then people would make a fuss.

Steam seem to disagree with you both however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Probably a way of steam getting a little extra revenue as well since there's a lot of people that don't use the steam store and just put in keys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It will eventually apply to all accounts.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Probably a way of steam getting a little extra revenue as well since there's a lot of people that don't use the steam store and just put in keys.

Something needed to be done and unfortunately there are a lot of stolen / cheap CD keys in circulation that scammers have been using.

I think it is a positive development anyway. The Steam Community was becoming a joke with the amount of spam / scam accounts annoying legitimate users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Monotype wrote: »

TBH that's kinda what I feel. I've a stupid amount of games thru humble bundles and the like...

Having said that, the only thing I've done on that list is send friend requests... So currently it's not a big deal to me. Pros seem to outweigh the cons for the people who actually use the community.

Edit: Just read up on the Mod sale addition... Apparently selling games to people that they don't play isn't enough of a cash cow. Looks like these are all just a part of a big plan to cash in some more... I guess it's just business. They owe us nothing. Unless you're a shareholder. :pac:

Advertisement