Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable flies for the Dodder

• 20-04-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

As the title states I'm wondering what peoples suggestions for suitable flies for the Dodder might be? There's a two fold purpose to this request:

I bring far too much gear out with me - most of which I won't use in almost any circumstance (size 8 bobblers with a pearly king and queen dangling off the end? right here!)

I'm hoping to increase my success rate. I've focused on casting and presentation more then fly choice up to this point (since I return all my fish anyhow it made sense to me). I'll usually use a two flies from the following selection:
    Peacock and Black
    PTN (beaded and unbeaded)
    Some spider patterns
    Butchers

I'm sure that my lack of knowledge regarding the entomology of the river and the patterns appropriate to that are hindering me but I'm unsure where even to start with this - any suggested resources would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Appreciated. Think I need to ooo-tube some videos on fly life in rivers - try to get up to speed on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Duck fly is a good dry fly on the dodder even when the hatch isn't about.
    I've had good fish on a green or red Montana.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I haven't fished it since I was a kid 35 years ago, back then I favoured a dry fly and anything small with ginger hackle worked best for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Small CDC F Fly will catch anywhere (well It works very well for me on the Tolka :) ). Super easy and cheap to tie yourself.
    Deer / Elk hair caddis in various sizes do a good job of imitating a broad range of insects.
    Some basic weighted nymphs and spiders should do for wets.

I've been fishing the "duo" a lot this season and have been getting fish on both flies with no sign of hatches. I think you are doing the right thing by focusing on presentation. Watercraft will also get you more fish. In my admittedly limited experience, if you present a fly naturally to the right spot the fish will respond. I'm assuming the Tolka doesn't see as many fly anglers as the Dodder, but they seem to respond well to generic imitations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fiacha wrote: »
    Small CDC F Fly will catch anywhere (well It works very well for me on the Tolka :) ). Super easy and cheap to tie yourself.
    Deer / Elk hair caddis in various sizes do a good job of imitating a broad range of insects.
    Some basic weighted nymphs and spiders should do for wets.

I've been fishing the "duo" a lot this season and have been getting fish on both flies with no sign of hatches. I think you are doing the right thing by focusing on presentation. Watercraft will also get you more fish. In my admittedly limited experience, if you present a fly naturally to the right spot the fish will respond. I'm assuming the Tolka doesn't see as many fly anglers as the Dodder, but they seem to respond well to generic imitations.

Very true. I never fail to catch on both flies no matter what they are. Presentation, watercraft etc are more important that the fly most times. PTN, Hares ear, Iron Blue Dun, and anything olive works on my river at any time.

Advertisement