Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

road bike v hybrid

• 20-04-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

am in the process of buying a bike at the minute

was full on getting a road bike and searching and all the rest...........

and I was wondering, what would the difference in performance be between a hybrid with narrow tyres such as this http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-rapid-3-mens-bike/9199416?offset=12 and an €1000 roadbike

weight wise I was looking in bike shop yesterday, hybrid ~10kg and road bike ~8kg

Comments

You don't seem to know what you want. If you are buying it for commuting only or plan on doing light offroad cycling buy a hybrid. If you plan on doing any leisure or competitive cycling too, buy a road bike.

I wouldn't recommend the bike in the add. It's a relaxed hybrid that someone has decided to put aero-bars on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

As you see the road bike is 80% the mass of the hybrid, so that's less to get up hills or up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Rapid 3 is an excellent bike for commuting but €600 is very high so you will get cheaper elsewhere if you look around

Common consensus/ experience is that many who buy a hybrid renew interest - cycle longer - long for a road bike so depends where you're at really. Could always buy second hand hybrid and keep BTW to see if you want to push the boat out for a road bike down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

aidanki wrote: »
    am in the process of buying a bike at the minute

was full on getting a road bike and searching and all the rest...........

and I was wondering, what would the difference in performance be between a hybrid with narrow tyres such as this http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-rapid-3-mens-bike/9199416?offset=12 and an €1000 roadbike

weight wise I was looking in bike shop yesterday, hybrid ~10kg and road bike ~8kg

The price seems high for 2012 Rapid 3. I bought my Rapid 1 in 2012 for €1000. it was €1100 but bike shop rounded it to €1000
    I say the Rapid 3 was about €700 new in 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    ...I wouldn't recommend the bike in the add. It's a relaxed hybrid that someone has decided to put aero-bars on....
    ....and hence the sale - they have now realised that they should have bought a road bike in the first place.

OP - most clubs don't permit hybrids on club rides (if you decide to go that route).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Even when commuting I'd rather be on a road bike. Look at the amount of threads on this forum alone where people have bought hybrids because they weren't sure and quickly realised their mistake and end up selling and buying a road bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Even when commuting I'd rather be on a road bike. Look at the amount of threads on this forum alone where people have bought hybrids because they weren't sure and quickly realised their mistake and end up selling and buying a road bike!

Couldn't disagree more! Having commuted for years on road bikes (or racers as they used to be called), I eventually discovered the joys of flat bars on a lightweight road frame. No more aches in the back of neck from being on the hoods all the time, much better visibility from being more upright and more effective braking and gear shifting.
    Even though that bike has been through the Alps and Pyrenees with me, I bought a new road bike last year for weekend and longer cycles. Delighted with that too but for commuting and local spins, the "flat-bar" is the automatic choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

As someone who has been cycling a Trek 7.3 Hybrid for commuting since last summer and having just got a Felt road bike recently, take my advice and get a decent road bike with rack mounts if you plan commuting. Having not cycled the hybrid in about a month I used it today (had to carry a heavy load) and I really realised how much more fun/enjoyable the road bike is but also how much more agile and responsive it is, not forgetting the weight difference.

Bottom line, buy a road bike and save yourself the hassle of longing for one a few months down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... No more aches in the back of neck from being on the hoods all the time,...
    Perhaps , but a hybrid has no options for alternate hand positions should you become tired/restless.

(I accept though that this may not be a factor in normal average commutes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It depends on your commute length and what clothes you can wear. The road bike would require a padded bike shorts whereas the hybrid won't. Braking will definitely be easier on the hybrid plus your saddle will probably be lower thus easier to get your feet to the ground in traffic. The hybrid will allow you to do spins on the road plus gravel tracks and greenways. A triple chainring on the hybrid may also mean steep hills will be easier. But if you want to go longer or do sportives the road bike will be needed. At some stage you may end up with both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have both. Or had. Just sold the road bike as I have been having neck and shoulder problems. Road bikes are way more fun to ride more nimble. Just nicer. But in town Id still pick the hybrid. It has mudguards, I can throw panniers on the back, I can cycle the gravel paths. I think there is better visibility too. I hope I will have a road bike again in the future. I cant cycle the hybrid either right now until the neck calms down. There are definitely arguments for either and its a personal choice in the end.

Advertisement