Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaration of identity

Options
  • 20-04-2015 11:23am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

I'm in the middle of buying a property and am in a bit of a muddle over the need for a declaration of identity.

My solicitor tells me that this is required by the bank (though friends of mine who have bought recently with the same bank didn't encounter the same issue).

When I told the surveyor I'm using that I'd need one he said he does a boundary check as part of the survey but would have to charge extra (€250 on top of the €500 he's going to charge for the survey) for a formal declaration of identity.

I've yet to ask my bank directly what they need but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they tell me one thing now and another when it comes down to it, so I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt.

If it's the case that I have to get it done then so be it, I'll bite the bullet... but I just want to check here to see if someone has gotten their wires crossed - or if they surveyor is extracting the urine with his quote - and I'm about to pay out €750 for nothing.

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

Advertisement