Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote webcam access

Options
  • 20-04-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Hi - I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have a webcam setup on an internal network that I need to access from the internet.

Normally I would set up port forwarding and make a hole in the firewall. It seems though that the broadband I have does not support that. See - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057415554

I know that I could just FTP the picture periodically from the webcam but that does not give me the control that the native webcam interface has.

Anyone know how I could set this up?

Cheers

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

On the firewall / NAT issue, that's going to have to be with Vodafone if they support it.

But just to double check the config on your camera?:

Did you tell it the gateway to the internet (e.g. probably 192.168.0.1) so that it knows how to connect out? It's a mistake that often catches me out.... If you have the cam configured with DHCP probably not a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Vodafone have confirmed that the IP that the router gets is not publicly accessible. I assume what they mean by that is that the router is given an address on some internal LAN. Not sure what to do now. Only thing I can think of is to have the camera periodically FTPing an image to a web server. Not very useful though.

It might be easier to go with a cloud storage solution where the camera uploads to a website on your behalf (a fancier version but much the same as your FTP idea):

https://www.myfoscam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

arctictree wrote: »
    Vodafone have confirmed that the IP that the router gets is not publicly accessible. I assume what they mean by that is that the router is given an address on some internal LAN. Not sure what to do now. Only thing I can think of is to have the camera periodically FTPing an image to a web server. Not very useful though.
    Probably the same as on my Vodafone phone, i.e. it goes through a proxy and a series of hops with private IP addresses before hitting the Internet proper. Makes traceroute impossible to use too which is a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thanks for the replies. OK, so I am stuck with the internet access I have.

Basically, I'm looking for a wireless webcam that I can stream video from that is accessible via the internet. Did a bit of googling but can only seem to see solutions which involve configuring the router.

I wonder is there a Wifi webcam that I could buy that could stream to a streaming service? Then I could login to that remotely....

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. OK, so I am stuck with the internet access I have.

Basically, I'm looking for a wireless webcam that I can stream video from that is accessible via the internet. Did a bit of googling but can only seem to see solutions which involve configuring the router.

I wonder is there a Wifi webcam that I could buy that could stream to a streaming service? Then I could login to that remotely....

look at a foscam of some description. www.foscamuk.co.uk

Advertisement