Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sufjan Stevens - The Helix, Dublin, August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

The sound in the Helix was CHRONIC again. What a s**thole of a venue.

I am a DIEHARD Sufjan fan so I had to go see him but the venue wrecked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Fruit1985 wrote: »

Completely disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Seriously?? I thought the sound was spot on all night, could not fault it. The part before the encore, if felt like the helix was about to lift off they were pushing the bass so much. Amazing performance and top venue for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

So, night II. Probably didn't have the same raw emotional impact as last night but only because you know what to expect tonight. Yet another spectacular show.
    That ten minute outro just prior to the break was astonishing again. Encore songs tonight were divine - Heirloom, For The Widows, John Wayne Gacy Jr amongst others.
    Two sublime nights of entertainment. I had no issues with the sound on either night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good gig. One perhaps for more diehard fans than casual listeners. Not as big a performance as on either of the previous two tours, but I guess his music has changed.

Sound wasn't great where I was sitting (balcony, directly over the stage) but possibly because we were behind a speaker.

Personally I found the bit before the encore overly self-indulgent, and would have liked a bit more interaction generally. Was he being ironic thanking the audience for their part in the musical extravaganza? It felt to me like our role was limited to an observational one!

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Good gig. One perhaps for more diehard fans than casual listeners. Not as big a performance as on either of the previous two tours, but I guess his music has changed.

Sound wasn't great where I was sitting (balcony, directly over the stage) but possibly because we were behind a speaker.

Personally I found the bit before the encore overly self-indulgent, and would have liked a bit more interaction generally. Was he being ironic thanking the audience for their part in the musical extravaganza? It felt to me like our role was limited to an observational one!

That's an interesting perspective. I loved it - one of the highlights of the show for me. Found it visceral. Loved watching people's reactions to it on the second night, something I couldn't do on the first night as I was so wrapped up in the noise the band were making.
    I don't think that he was being remotely ironic by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

mosstin wrote:
    Loved watching people's reactions to it on the second night, something I couldn't do on the first night as I was so wrapped up in the noise the band were making.

I actually do it at most gigs I go to. It's something I enjoy, watching other people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I was at that Modest Mouse gig and the sound was awful for it but on Friday I thought it was brilliant, perfectly clear where I was sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Looking at the setlists for both nights I'm jealous of those who went on Saturday. I was hoping for a couple of the tracks from Saturday's encore on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

well.. what can one say... last night's concert moved me in ways that I did not think were possible with music.. it was incredible...
    so raw, sad, cathartic, beautiful, sensual.. the projections where perfectly conducive..
    loved the church theme - so spiritual..

what a talented guy - and his crew - they were magnificent...

the sounds was perfect... the instrumental was mind blowing - i can see why some would think it was a little indulgent - but why not? it felt like it was so natural for them,,, and it was blowing - i was near the front and i would feel the waves from the subwoofer.. if thats what you call it.. maybe they could have toned that down a bit..

was his timing off in one or two songs though? thats not a criticism - it was only there 2nd gig of the tour after all..

but i have a question for those of you who were there both nights - what was Sufjan like on Friday night? He seemed to wrecked when the show was over last night - jet lag hit him perhaps? it looked like he was working so hard to deliver the absolute best..

he was so quiet last night too - he only spoke at the end - usually he has a lot more to say..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

sporina wrote: »
    well.. what can one say... last night's concert moved me in ways that I did not think were possible with music.. it was incredible...
    so raw, sad, cathartic, beautiful, sensual.. the projections where perfectly conducive..
    loved the church theme - so spiritual..

what a talented guy - and his crew - they were magnificent...

the sounds was perfect... the instrumental was mind blowing - i can see why some would think it was a little indulgent - but why not? it felt like it was so natural for them,,, and it was blowing - i was near the front and i would feel the waves from the subwoofer.. if thats what you call it.. maybe they could have toned that down a bit..

was his timing off in one or two songs though? thats not a criticism - it was only there 2nd gig of the tour after all..

but i have a question for those of you who were there both nights - what was Sufjan like on Friday night? He seemed to wrecked when the show was over last night - jet lag hit him perhaps? it looked like he was working so hard to deliver the absolute best..

he was so quiet last night too - he only spoke at the end - usually he has a lot more to say..

He referred to being jet lagged on Friday night. He said "I'm so jet lagged, I'm so..." He trailed off and then someone piped up "amazing!"

He mentioned how when he last played here was the same time as the Queen's visit.

He referred to being jet lagged on Friday night. He said "I'm so jet lagged, I'm so..." He trailed off and then someone piped up "amazing!"

He mentioned how when he last played here was the same time as the Queen's visit.

oh was that all - i met someone who was there both nights and they said he was way more chatty on fri night...

last night he just said he went for a hike.. saw 4 rainbows.. made some reference to our lovely country.. think there was a jibe about the rain...

but yeah he must have been so wrecked... during the standing ovation by he made a few blows of relief while him and the band were bowing - as if to say.. "man that was tough.. glad we made it through" if you know what i mean...

oh and what a set list.. its exactly as i imagined actually - seven swans in very in key with carrie and lowell.. "sister" was sublime and of course i was happy as pig as he played my fav anthem "Vesuvius"..

drool.... wish i could stream the edinburgh gig now... i just wanna relive it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Yeah, he didn't speak until the encore but I just thought that was the type of performance he wanted to put on.

Once they came back on stage he engaged the audience and said he was very jet-lagged. A couple of time's he forgot where in the song he was but people cheered him on.

Yeah, he didn't speak until the encore but I just thought that was the type of performance he wanted to put on.

Once they came back on stage he engaged the audience and said he was very jet-lagged. A couple of time's he forgot where in the song he was but people cheered him on.

He didn't utter a word to the audience on either night until the encore. It was just that kind of show. He was playing songs from an album about death/grief etc. Not much he could have said beyond, "So, this one's about death......too."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There were a couple of little errors on Friday, he forgot the words to a couple of songs, etc. So what would be my thinking. Overall it was just unreal so I could forgive a couple of little mistakes. It's a fairly involved and complex stage presentation, must be a difficult one to nail at the outset of a tour, particularly after a long trip to get here.

oh i ok with musicians not talking much - he went on a little in 2011 so i was happy without the monologues last night.
    I was just wondering about the differences in his form from fri/sat night.

Oh I think we can forgive a few slight flaws like forgetting lyrics/timing out etc... fri night was hit first show in a while... jet lag, etc... he is human - none are perfect..

man was he striving for perfection though..

and can i add... what a hot ass he is... it was distracting.. sorry guys no offense...

also hats off to the staff in the helix.. great form.. fab vibe all around...

I WANNA DO IT ALL AGAIN..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

The auditorium isn't spaced right so it creates these bizarre echoes - the stalls need to be closer to the stage like the Olympia.

The Helix - I hate the place as I hate hell.

Two of my favourite acts ruined by the venue.

The auditorium isn't spaced right so it creates these bizarre echoes - the stalls need to be closer to the stage like the Olympia.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It was an astonishing show. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

absolutely flawless gig. in the top 10 of all gigs.

ok back to reality.. but seriously thinking of trying to catch him again somewhere..

hmm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Sounds like a good one. Saw him in the Olympia a few years ago, great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Modest Mouse was ruined by the band's own sound engineer.
    the sound was fine for the support acts, seems to be fine for Sufjan going by all the other reports, and seemed fine for any other events i've been to there, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the venue.

check out the Edinburgh Fringe fest page on FB for reports and posts from sufjan gig last night...
    some really good comments - resonates with our experiences from the gigs at the Helix..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought the sound was perfect. That song with the bass building up towards the end was unreal. Reminded me of My Bloody Valentine but better.

Effects wrote: »
    I thought the sound was perfect. That song with the bass building up towards the end was unreal. Reminded me of My Bloody Valentine but better.

Absolutely. It was like a more melodious Holocaust section. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Oh for goodness sake
    Auditorium isn't spaced right??? what does that even mean?

And the stalls in the Helix actually are closer to the stage than the ones in the Olympia, due to to the orchestra pit there, so your second point is utter nonsense too

come on now folks.. don't ya think its sacrilegious to argue in this thread?

let it go.

diagree/agree in your head...

PS for those of you with Sufjanitis.. there are a few fab vids on youtube from the tour - a show from sydney and a another from ohio... full audio recording...

will post links when i have more time..

Went to see him again last night in Oslo. Exact same show but stripped of all its intimacy due to the vastness of the arena.
    Still wonderful though. Encore was;
    UFO Sighting
    Heirloom
    To Be Alone With You
    John Wayne Gacy Jr
    Chicago

Out of the 3 shows, night one in Dublin was the best for me. Amazing tour/show though. Just wondering what he'll come up with next.

mosstin wrote: »
    Went to see him again last night in Oslo. Exact same show but stripped of all its intimacy due to the vastness of the arena.
    Still wonderful though. Encore was;
    UFO Sighting
    Heirloom
    To Be Alone With You
    John Wayne Gacy Jr
    Chicago

Out of the 3 shows, night one in Dublin was the best for me. Amazing tour/show though. Just wondering what he'll come up with next.

awe you lucky sod - how did you end up at that?

• Advertisement

awe you lucky sod - how did you end up at that?

Return flight for €53. Couldn't say no.

Advertisement