Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canaural ear drops

• 20-04-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Do I need prescription to get these, I have a boxer who get reoccurring ear infections.He has been to the vet numerous times with it.Vet prescribed canaural ear drops each time and it cleared it up.Vet reckons its heat related that causes the infection.I rand him but he wants to see the dog before he prescribes them.I know he airing on side of caution but its not as if it a new illness he's after getting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No, you don't need a prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thanks for reply do you know where I can buy?

I usually get them from Vet Uk or Vio Vet. It can take a week to arrive though. Some pharmacies that stock a few animal supplies sell them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Canaural is Px-only as it contains anti-inflamms, antibiotic and antifungals; Cleanaural on the otherhand doesn't, so it's OTC.

boomerang wrote: »
    Canaural is Px-only as it contains anti-inflamms, antibiotic and antifungals; Cleanaural on the otherhand doesn't, so it's OTC.

Are you sure? I've bought it off the shelf in a local pharmacy in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Are you sure? I've bought it off the shelf in a local pharmacy in the past.

Yep, the packaging for the two products is very similar so it's confusing! Definitely POM, anything with these ingredients should be under the direction of your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I think its perscription only because it contains steroids. Also the vet would want to see the dog before prescribing because if theres any perforations in the eardrum using this medication has a small risk of causing deafness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just as an aside, a food allergy can present itself as a recurring ear infection.
    Might be something worth investigating depending on the food he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

One of mine was having on going issues with one ear - I cut out rice and use Thornit powder once a week and problem solved ;)

Advertisement