Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupon.ie <SNIP>

Options
  • 20-04-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<SNIP>

Got a this deal yesterday:
    <SNIP>
    basically says a curry for two for 8.99

When we arrived to order were told we could choose from the "buffet" and not the menu, there was very limited dishes available and they looked like they had been sitting there for days (the only chicken one was tikka masala, the rest were lamb and looked disgusting).
    Had no other option than to give it a chance and ordered the only one that resembled something that might be edible (chicken tikka masala) to take away.
    Got home and decided to try it with an open mind (it might not taste as awful as it looks eh) but was being a bit too optimistic unfortunately. Another side note is that the staff in the place were very unfriendly, the place looked dirty and I can only imagine what kinda of hygiene levels they have in the kitchen. The guy serving us was wearing what appeared to be overalls that must not have been washed in weeks. Didnt even touch the chicken, it looked dangerous to eat and the sauce itself was absolutely vile. Worst food ever tasted. Threw the food in the bin. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Hope nobody else falls for this, i guess if somethings too good to be true it usually is. Feel scammed / ripped off. Horrible place. Beware.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Didnt even touch the chicken, it looked dangerous to eat

I have to ask, what does dangerous chicken look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

could be deemed to be dangerous (dan·ger (dān′jər)
    noun)
    1. Exposure or vulnerability to harm or risk.
    2. A source or an instance of risk or peril.
    3. Obsolete Power, especially power to harm.

based on the circumstances surrounding its purchase

(i.e. being duped into a purchase that was not consistent with what was advertised, the apparent lack of hygiene standards in the establishment, the fact that the food seemed to be sitting in the "buffet" for a very long time; there was a layer of creamy stuff on the top of the tikka malasa from being left there so long, the guy behind counter had to stir it before putting it into a tray. wish i had taken a photo of it now)

i dont mean to sound smart but am just trying to warn people against this and to be honest am a bit pissed off about the whole thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

could be deemed to be dangerous (dan·ger (dān′jər)
    noun)
    1. Exposure or vulnerability to harm or risk.
    2. A source or an instance of risk or peril.
    3. Obsolete Power, especially power to harm.

based on the circumstances surrounding its purchase

(i.e. being duped into a purchase that was not consistent with what was advertised, the apparent lack of hygiene standards in the establishment, the fact that the food seemed to be sitting in the "buffet" for a very long time; there was a layer of creamy stuff on the top of the tikka malasa from being left there so long, the guy behind counter had to stir it before putting it into a tray. wish i had taken a photo of it now)

I understand the dictionary definition of dangerous, but thanks for the recap. :D

There's a difference between food looking unappetising and being dangerous though.

For the record, after reading your initial post I had a picture in my head of a chicken fillet wielding a machete .
    and to be honest am a bit pissed off about the whole thing.

I could tell :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Are you a qualified health inspector or any other food qualifications that allow you to prove your allegations beyond doubt for any actions the place may take against you or boards for such defamotory remarks?

HSE have a very stringent inspection regime (I know, I'm in the food business) They also have an online complaints procedure so that if you are concerned, you may make a compaint and ALL complaints are followed up on quite quickly.

Or maybe you don't have any qualifications and are pissed off because the cheapo deal you got was not for a michelin star meal and have decided to name and shame to "punish the establishment?

oh my apologies, i thought this was a forum where you could post grievances with regards consumer experiences

also - typical boards.ie moderator response, there must be a aptitude test you lot pass as a pre requisite eh. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

oh my apologies, i thought this was a forum where you could post grievances with regards consumer experiences

also - typical boards.ie moderator response, there must be a aptitude test you lot pass as a pre requisite eh. :rolleyes:

Since there's no mod posts in this thread, I'm assuming that you're referring to the fact that the name of the establishment was manually removed from your posts.

I'm not a lawyer but here's a suggestion: write boards.ie an indemnity agreement whereby in the event that the establishment is named and sues for defamation, you personally pledge to (1) pay the legal expenses of boards.ie and (2) compensate the establishment if they're awarded damages. Maybe you'd also see your way to lodge (say) €50,000 in lieu of such legal costs and compensation. Then they may allow you to name the place.

You expected to get a meal for two for €8.99 with Groupon probably pocketing €3 of that? Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are with these 'deals'.

coylemj wrote: »
    You expected to get a meal for two for €8.99 with Groupon probably pocketing €3 of that? Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people are with these 'deals'.

yep. shame on me

ah well - lesson learned! :)

ps sorry - thought that was a mod reply

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The name of the establishment was removed to protect you and to protect Boards. Your post contained some serious allegations.

You may want to take some time to read the forum charter and accustom yourself to the posting standards required. If you want to discuss mod actions, please do via PM or one of the Feedback forums. On thread discussion is a distraction.

dudara

Advertisement