Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Visit

Options
  • 20-04-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Help needed..........myself and the missus will be travelling from Athlone for our first visit to Waterford city end of may 29th, 30th and was wondering can you suggest a nice hotel in city centre and a restaurant closeby for our anniversary night out and a pub with trad or any live music ....we are in our fifties

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

martin1 wrote: »
    Help needed..........myself and the missus will be travelling from Athlone for our first visit to Waterford city end of may 29th, 30th and was wondering can you suggest a nice hotel in city centre and a restaurant closeby for our anniversary night out and a pub with trad or any live music ....we are in our fifties

Thanks guys
    The Granville is an obvious choice , old style classy in the centre walk anywhere 4 star.
    restaurant la boheme around the corner 5 star french cuisine linen service very good around €40.00 per plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Thanks guys

The Tower Hotel would be central to most things.

Within a couple of minutes walk from there you'd have La Palma (Italian), Sabai (Thai), McLeary's (Steak & Seafood), Emilianos (Italian), L'Atmosphere (French), La Fontana (Italian), Bodega (General), Burzza (Pizza & Burgers), Espresso (Italian).....which are all excellent restaurants.

The Reg Bar is straight across from the Tower Hotel which would have Live music, DJ, Late Bar etc. Other decent bars within a few minutes walk.

Other centrally located hotels would be the Granville or The Marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I cannot fault the tower hotel, and its in the side of town which has been aimed for tourism, restaurants etc

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+Tower/@52.2590406,-7.1090171,903m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!1m2!2m1!1stower+hotel!3m1!1s0x4842c69a3d73ec41:0xca5631bb6287f547

What kind of food do you like? For a special occasion I would recommending

L-atmosphere - French
    Maclearys - Steak / Sea Food. Normal Food cooked well
    Sabai - Thai/Vietnamese
    The Olive Tree Tapas

All these are within 3 minutes walking of the tower hotel.

Booking essential : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If you like Indian, Café Goa is well worth a visit. It's only a short walk from the Granville and Dooley's hotel, and even from the Tower hotel it's not that far (maybe 10 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

tower hotel is lovely do wine and dine menu(2 3 course meals and a bottle of wine) for 59 euro. There is always music in the bar on Saturday night and a great atmosphere.

• Advertisement

tower hotel is lovely do wine and dine menu(2 3 course meals and a bottle of wine) for 59 euro. There is always music in the bar on Saturday night and a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Thanks very much to all who replied to my call for help. We are looking forward to our trip to your city very much.

We decided on the Tower Hotel and I think we will dine in Mclearys

So watch this space for our report when we return

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Thanks very much to all who replied to my call for help. We are looking forward to our trip to your city very much.

We decided on the Tower Hotel and I think we will dine in Mclearys

So watch this space for our report when we return

As stated above already, if you are going to go to McLeary's make sure you book in advance as they tend to book out well in advance.

Enjoy your stay.

Advertisement