Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local kids causing hell!

Options
  • 20-04-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on behalf of my sister and her husband. Not sure if this it the right forum. They live in a small country village but never seemed to be allowed to settle and always treated as blow ins, but not in a friendly way!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, things have escalated over the years where now they are constantly being tormented by kids from a few families in the area. They deliberately ride on motorbikes and quad bikes, revving them loudly outside the house. They shout really horrible obscenities and sometimes even enter the property throwing stones or just running around the garden. My brother in law works shifts so sometimes is not there in the evenings or tries to sleep during the day so my sister is now terrified to go outside or even leave the house unoccupied.

They've been to the gards, but they won't do anything about it, saying that they'd need to officially report if a crime has taken place. But they're afraid of the consequences if they do report it and word gets out.

I've told them to record everything on video and keep a diary. I've even told them to get security cameras, but they don't want to go down that route yet.

Not sure where to go from here, but things are not getting any better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I'd recommend moving. If they've somehow rubbed the entire village up the wrong way (whether by their actions, demeanor or simply by being blow-ins), they're never going to win.

Life's too short to live somewhere you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If your sister and her husband are not willing to report the crime or get security cameras then there is nothing further anyone else here can legally suggest if they are planning on staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Afraid of what consequences? I'm sure these people will get the message if the Gardaí are involved. They're more likely continuing because your sister and brother in law are soft touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Barney224

Sleepy wrote: »
    TBH, I'd recommend moving. If they've somehow rubbed the entire village up the wrong way (whether by their actions, demeanor or simply by being blow-ins), they're never going to win.

Life's too short to live somewhere you hate.

I think that's the last option they have, but as with a lot of people in this country, they're in negative equity, so this is not a reality at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Afraid of what consequences? I'm sure these people will get the message if the Gardaí are involved. They're more likely continuing because your sister and brother in law are soft touches.

I wouldn't agree with this, people like this are not afraid of the Garda, they probably laugh in their faces, I know of somebody in the same position who did report it to the Garda and if anything it made it worse in the end they moved and it was the best decision they made

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree with this, people like this are not afraid of the Garda, they probably laugh in their faces, I know of somebody in the same position who did report it to the Garda and if anything it made it worse in the end they moved and it was the best decision they made

This is true! These kids (and their families) are real rough diamonds! I get the impression from talking with my sister that the gards are afraid of them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

But not doing anything is obviously not sorting the situation either. Sure they could get worse but then there's always an option of moving, but it could get better if they're just bullies who've spotted an easy target.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sounds like a nightmare. I would agree with the other posters that have said that the Guards will do very little in cases like this and the people would not even care if they did.
    Get them to talk to their bank and discuss options of what they can do with their loan. They may be able to buy a smaller house elsewhere if they can pay back some capital to the bank. Alternatively they can rent their house out and rent themselves somewhere else.

Failing that I can only suggest cctv and harrass the Guards to do something/anything.

I would love RTE to do a series on nightmare neighbours in this country. It would be a real eye opener for many people. I have seen UK versions but the broadcasters here don't seem interested in this type of TV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Or get your sis to invite a load of hard looking men over for a bbq.
    I know if it was my sister I'd go round with some mates to have a " chat "

If you suggest anything like that in here again you'll get a free "holiday".

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I had a problem like that, back alley at the back of my House loud music etc. I had a frendly word two of them !!! and told them if anyone came back I do the same.

They were told if there was any furture problems I would have another friendly word. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Barney224 wrote: »
    That could be an option and I'll suggest it to her. It's not really a rough area as it's very rural, just some very "settled" bad eggs!!!! Cheers.

I was going to suggest exactly this. I know this has worked in a tough area of D24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

Barney224 wrote:
    Not sure where to go from here, but things are not getting any better!

Get them to sell there house to a criminal or some other undesirable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- what with the totally off-the-wall suggestions?
    Sell the house to a criminal low-life?
    Really?
    Valid- and preferably sane proposals only please.

MAJJ wrote: »
    I was going to suggest exactly this. I know this has worked in a tough area of D24.

Can you elaborate, without going into specific details, on how this worked in D24?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

I used to work with a guy who had similar problems. He got a few of his friends together (10+ grown men) and simply sat on the wall outside his house for a while. When the scrotes came around the corner they got the shock of there lives, turned around and never came back. They didn't say anything to them or threaten them in any way - problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

gerarda wrote: »
    I used to work with a guy who had similar problems. He got a few of his friends together (10+ grown men) and simply sat on the wall outside his house for a while. When the scrotes came around the corner they got the shock of there lives, turned around and never came back. They didn't say anything to them or threaten them in any way - problem solved.

Good solution😄

Advertisement