Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register to vote today

Options
  • 20-04-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭

Last day to register to vote in the UK

The Irish can vote too so why not vote on May the 7th.

It's easy you can do it online.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Now who do I vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

PH4T wrote: »
    Now who do I vote for?

UKIP

My candidate looks like a solid bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I had the choice of voting for the Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm in a swing vote area. Lib dems won by over 10,000 last time.

Bookys are saying it will be tight with the Conservatives and the Lib dem candidates.

I currently agree with what the current government has done. Bringing down the debt is a big issue for me. Why should we leave debt for our kids to sort out?

I have a feeling the politic outlook will change after this vote as the nations party's gain it will mean the people who live in England will have to do something to make sure English people will be heard.

• Advertisement

For me Housing is the big issue. Rents are ridiculous in London and owning a home in the capital is a pipe dream for most people. Families are either forced far out of London and then have to endure a long commute everyday on a sub par and expensive rail network or continue renting at extortionate rates in London. Something needs to be done to curb the amount of domestic buy to lets in the south east along with foreign investors snapping up property as investment vehicles all across the capital. Housing needs to be first and foremost to provide homes for the local population and at the moment it isn't.

Currently Labour seem to be better on their measures to deal with the housing crisis but I just dont have any faith in Milliband or Balls. It's a pretty depressing choice to be honest

It just feels wrong as an Irish person to vote Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Playboy wrote: »
    For me Housing is the big issue. Rents are ridiculous in London and owning a home in the capital is a pipe dream for most people. Families are either forced far out of London and then have to endure a long commute everyday on a sub par and expensive rail network or continue renting at extortionate rates in London. Something needs to be done to curb the amount of domestic buy to lets in the south east along with foreign investors snapping up property as investment vehicles all across the capital. Housing needs to be first and foremost to provide homes for the local population and at the moment it isn't.

Currently Labour seem to be better on their measures to deal with the housing crisis but I just dont have any faith in Milliband or Balls. It's a pretty depressing choice to be honest

Housing isn't going to be a national election issue this year - next year's London mayoral election, however...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Undecided between Labour and Greens - that said, my constituency is a relatively safe Labour seat, the council is 47 Lab/1 Green so unlikely to let the Tories in if I don't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Now who do I vote for?

Class War? They seem more sincere than most other parties: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/class-war-party-candidate-calls-5597731

I'll probably vote Green though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

This site might be of some use in deciding. It suggested I go with Lib Dems which was a bit surprising!
    http://www.whoshallivotefor.com/quiz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The only solution to London's housing issue is to start building upwards. We need more high quality high rise apartment blocks. Far too much of London is made up of single 2-4 story houses/small apartment blocks

Every other major city in the world builds upwards but London keeps building outwards. Its inefficient use of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gift of the Gabbert

afatbollix wrote: »
    I currently agree with what the current government has done. Bringing down the debt is a big issue for me. Why should we leave debt for our kids to sort out?
    The debt has gone up under the Tories.

I find it really difficult to decide who to vote for over here. It's generally a race between Labour and the Torries and sometimes the Lib Dems, I don't like any of them. If I don't vote for any of them and go for someone else I don't feel my vote has any weight because of the voting system used.

The debt has gone up under the Tories.

Correct but if you start with nothing as Labor left ( Remember the letter left behind saying 'Theres nothing left')

You have to borrow to keep the country going day to day while you get it in order.

Labor borrowed during the boom years of 2004 to 2008 by up to 40 billion a year! Irelands budget is about 75 to 80 million a year just shows how much Labor was borrowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It just feels wrong as an Irish person to vote Tory.

If you are living and working in the UK you should decide your vote first of all which party is best for the economy, employment and taxation.
    Neither the Tories or Labour have covered themselves in glory on Irish matters over the last 90 years. They govern number one for the benefit of the UK and that is what they should be doing

77% turn out in my area.

Thanks to all for carrying out your democratic right.

Stayed up till 7am and had to throw in the towel.

Was my first election as I moved over just after the last UK election and just before the Irish one.

Really glad UKIP did badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They did poorly in terms of the First Past the Post system but overall they're still on the rise unfortunately. 9.5% share change from 5 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

I know. They still only got one seat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

biZrb wrote: »
    Really glad UKIP did badly.

As SMB says, 1 seat may be doing badly, but 3.9m votes is more than SNP + LD combined (64 seats!)

I know! But they still only have one seat representing them.

I know! But they still only have one seat representing them.

So you can ignore their concerns and everything will be rosy. Tske a trip to Tower Hamlets, Peterborough etc and you will see why UKIP supporters have genuine matters of concern. If they are not addressed in the system people will go outside the system

I think what's happening in Tower Hamlets is awful. But I don't think UKIP are the party to sort that out.

I think what's happening in Tower Hamlets is awful. But I don't think UKIP are the party to sort that out.

I agree with you but as history shows if the moderates dont act the extremists will

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    So you can ignore their concerns and everything will be rosy. Tske a trip to Tower Hamlets, Peterborough etc and you will see why UKIP supporters have genuine matters of concern. If they are not addressed in the system people will go outside the system

What does Tower Hamlets have to do with UKIP? Farage doesnt want european immigration. Immigration from Asia he doesnt have as much of an issue with as its totally within the UK's gift to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mucco wrote: »
    As SMB says, 1 seat may be doing badly, but 3.9m votes is more than SNP + LD combined (64 seats!)

The SNP only stood in 59 seats with an average vote of 25,000 per seat

What does Tower Hamlets have to do with UKIP? Farage doesnt want european immigration. Immigration from Asia he doesnt have as much of an issue with as its totally within the UK's gift to control.

It's within the gift to control but they have no control over it. They are allowing the legal system run rings around immigration legislation. If you have to ask how UKIP and the situation in Tower Hamlets are linked you don't have a good grasp of the UK immigration problem

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It's within the gift to control but they have no control over it. They are allowing the legal system run rings around immigration legislation. If you have to ask how UKIP and the situation in Tower Hamlets are linked you don't have a good grasp of the UK immigration problem

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/22/nigel-farage-immigrants-india-australia-better-than-eastern-europeans

Farage talking about how immigration from India is ok but Eastern Europe is bad. UKIP are mainly anti-europe and against free movement of people within the EU. Tower Hamlets isnt EU immigration, it is Asian, and the UK has full control over its capacity to deal with those immigrants if it so wishes. It however doesnt have the same ability to deal with EU immigration. My grasp of UK immigration is fine thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement