Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Touchpad Going Haywire!

Options
  • 20-04-2015 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I had a laptop left up to me the other day to have a look at. The touchpad is going really mental on it, as in, travelling about the screen by itself and clicking away at things with no input from the user. I've not really seen this behaviour before myself and was wondering what to do to fix it?

For troubleshooting so far i've tried

Booting into safe mode
    Reinstalling Windows
    Plugging in an external mouse

All of these methods didn't help at all, still same problem

It's looking to me like it's a hardware issue so would there be a way of opening the laptop and disabling/disconnecting the touchpad from inside the case somehow? if there was a way to do that safely and just use a standard mouse instead, that would be an acceptable solution for the owner.

Any ideas?

It's a Sony Vaio laptop btw

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you tried cleaning the touchpad? It could be hardware issues, but I have had similar problems when grease got onto the touchpad in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try disabling it in Device Manager. Also you could get the latest drivers, and also boot from a Live Linux CD/USB stick to determine if it is a hardware issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Have you tried cleaning the touchpad? It could be hardware issues, but I have had similar problems when grease got onto the touchpad in the past.

I tried that yes, no dice
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Try disabling it in Device Manager. Also you could get the latest drivers, and also boot from a Live Linux CD/USB stick to determine if it is a hardware issue

Can't do that as the touchpad is going haywire as i said, pretty much impossible to do anything. Will see if i can try the Linux usb thing though.

Check youtube for disassembly video tutorials, you could prob take off the keyboard and detach the trackpad cable from below it.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Check youtube for disassembly video tutorials, you could prob take off the keyboard and detach the trackpad cable from below it.

That's what i was thinking, will give it a go, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Is it the same issue with the laptop plugged in and on battery? I have seen laptops with grounding issues that cause the trackpad to go nuts when the laptop is plugged in.

The ribbon cable connectors on laptops are generally of 2 main kinds, one has 2 plastic pieces either side of the cable, which need to be moved gently in the direction of the cable, the other has a flap that lifts up. Both allow the the cable to be removed. Take more care with the flap type, they become detached and are a PITA to put back!

Kencollins wrote: »
    Is it the same issue with the laptop plugged in and on battery? I have seen laptops with grounding issues that cause the trackpad to go nuts when the laptop is plugged in.

The problem isn't there anymore when it isn't plugged in, didn't realise before cos the battery life is absolutely gash and pretty much needs to be plugged in all the time!

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FN+ F? should also have done this for you OP. On my Vaio its F1 but it varies from unit to unit.

Bit small but you can see the icon in F1 below:
    dsc08613.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    FN+ F? should also have done this for you OP. On my Vaio its F1 but it varies from unit to unit.

Bit small but you can see the icon in F1 below:

I have a Packard Bell laptop, Fn+F6 disables the touchpad.

Also, you can use tab and arrow keys to select the item in DevMan. I just tried this but it seemed to just detect it again. Perhaps you can disable it in BIOS?

• Advertisement
Advertisement