Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting my tongue regularly while sleeping

Options
  • 20-04-2015 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

My first post in this forum. Perhaps this is a regular thing for others, but lately, definitely in the last few months, I have found myself waking up in the middle of the night in bad pain after biting my tongue while asleep.

I know, it's probably down to a few different things. Twitching in your sleep is obviously normal, but for whatever reason, I bite down hard on my tongue and it wakes me instantly. The pain is pretty bad.

I don't think I have drawn blood yet, but it leads to a bruised and uncomfortable feeling in my tongue for a few days after it.

It happens on average once a week.

Any ideas?

Could it be down to my pillow, or the angle of my head, things like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You can get this mouth-guard from your dentist; fit to the very shape of you teeth/mouth that you can wear at night.
    It would assist with this no bother :)

Have you tried that option?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Do you drink enough water? Are you dehydrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

You can make use of the mouth trap used to prevent snoring during sleep. I believe that should work.
    And also try sleeping without pillows for sometime to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Not quite the same but I do some strange things whilst asleep. I take out my earrings...only the left one. When i have false nails i bite them off. I tried using gloves. But bit through those. Eventually resorted to long gloves tied on with tape. Still bit though those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I went the opposite way and bought another pillow to prop my head up some more. It seems to have done the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement