Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a fixed term licence agreement early

Options
  • 20-04-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I am currently in a 1 year fixed term licence agreement. Due to a change in my circumstances I will be moving out at the end of this month.

I am finding a replacement to assign the licence to. However the agency have said that the cost to assign the Licence is 300EUR plus VAT.

Is this a standard cost? Seems a bit high when all they have to do is check their references.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

Henry0515 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am currently in a 1 year fixed term licence agreement. Due to a change in my circumstances I will be moving out at the end of this month.

I am finding a replacement to assign the licence to. However the agency have said that the cost to assign the Licence is 300EUR plus VAT.

Is this a standard cost? Seems a bit high when all they have to do is check their references.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Prtb, change electrics/gas etc, redo inventory of the house, there is a good bit to do. Treat it as a like a new tenant is being got and they usually charge first months rent when they get a new tenant.

€300 sounds fair as the landlord sould not have to pay them again cause he paid when he got you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

300 sounds very large. The agent should not be involved in changing the utilities - only in the PRTB. And an inventory check should not take that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Henry0515

I don't think they are registered with PRTB as it is not a lease agreement. Also there are no electric/gas bills as it is all pre-pay so no name changes are required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

Henry0515 wrote: »
    I don't think they are registered with PTRB as it is not a lease agreement. Also there are no electric/gas bills as it is all pre-pay so no name changes are required.

There still needs to be a name on prepay utilities, but are you a licencee? If so you can just go, no need to pay the €300

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Looks like you have a landlord/licensor who wants the best of both worlds. He/she wants the benefits of the occupant being outside the Residential Tenancies Act, but to also have the benefits of being a landlord, e.g. fixing the duration of the tenancy and charging for the assignment.

Licenses are personal in nature and generally cannot be assigned. I would also wonder if the licence you have would meet the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs.

I would threaten the landlord/licensor with the PRTB etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

What exactly is a Fixed Term License Agreement if it isn't a lease? A Lease is a is a Lease no matter what name the parties put on it. If there is a lease that needs to be assigned then it needs to be registered with the PRTB also. If there is no lease and the OP is infact a Licensee then there is nothing to assign and he can probably walk away depending on the details of the agreement, certainly he doesn't need to pay €300 to the agent to "assign" something which isn't technically capable of being assigned.

And €300 is a total rip off don't pay it OP, take this matter up with the PRTB.

Advertisement