Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Irish Oral

Options
  • 20-04-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Is it true that the examiner does not know if you are doing ordinary level or higher? And how is this fair seeing as ordinary level standard is going to be lower (I'm doing ordinary level). Or are they looking for all levels to be of the same standard in the oral? And does this mean I'm going to be asked difficult higher level questions?
    Thank you in advance I'm getting kinda worried here :')

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Yes, it's true that the examiner does not know what level you are doing, and they are not allowed to ask either.

My Irish teacher said that if they ever ask you about school/your subjects, you could state what level you're doing for all of them. However, that's not really necessary. Keep in mind that the examiner has examined hundreds of students and they would be well aware of what level you're doing once they actually hear you speak.

They will change their questions to suit what level you're at, so no, it's very unlikely that they will ask you difficult HL questions.

EDIT: I'm in OL and I did my Irish oral last week. The examiner never surprised me with any HL questions. They were all easy, basic OL questions that I had prepared from my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

okay thank you! Because to be honest I only have the standard about me, school, pastimes, plans for college etc prepared whereas for french I had tons of complicated stuff (I do HL) so I was worried that I wouldn't be prepared enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

You'll be fine! All you really need are the basics. Be sure you are able to answer questions about your area and practice your tenses too. My examiner was really big on tenses and asked me a whole bunch of questions about what I did last summer, if I'm going on holidays next summer, what I do in the morning/in school/at home/on the weekends/on my birthday, what I would do if I won the lotto etc.

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

okay Thank you!! :D

Advertisement