Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand route/concerns

• 20-04-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys I know thailand has been done to death on this forum but if ye could bare with me and give it a read I'd really appreciate it.

First off, I'm a single female traveller 24 and I'm thinking of spending four weeks (July 9th-august 9th) in Thailand this summer... I've travelled to asia before including underdeveloped places like borneo and Nepal but this is my first solo trip so feeling slightly apprehensive. Any girls out there have done this alone some feedback would be appreciated...

My route is looking like
    Bangkok
    Kanchanaburi
    Ayutthaya
    Khao Yai (will be meeting up with a friend who lives an hour away from it)
    Ko Pha Ngan
    Ko Phi Phi
    Koh Tao.

I guess I'm just wondering if this way of doing it makes any sort of sense or if I've missed anything crucial? I'm mainly interested in jungles and diving... I know it's not the best time of year for diving there but I believe Phi Phi and Tao are still a go? If anyone could give me a bit of advice that would be great I'm a bit apprehensive about the whole thing!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Thailand is very safe, not female but I see lots of solo female travellers of all ages anytime I've been there. Ko Phangan and Phi Phi won't be great for diving at that time but Tao and Samui will be better as they're in the Gulf of Thailand and as a result get calmer waters.

Just take the usual precautions regarding money, credit cards etc, photocopy your passport and don't be afraid to head to bars on your own. Someone posted here a while back wondering if people would think they're a prostitute since they're a sole female at a bar. The Thai's are a friendly bunch and will be more than happy to chat to you albeit with a language barrier. There's some good Thai language beginner videos on Youtube and it can be a good ice breaker trying to speak Thai with the Thai's. Get them to recommend some street food too for a real experience.

I'd avoid tuk-tuks and jet ski's as they are notorious for scams. Transport in between your destinations won't be a problem, buses are cheap and quite nice. There's so much to do in Bangkok but if diving and jungles are your thing than two or three days should be plenty here, just do the Grand palace, Wat Po and Wat Arun. All close together and a great introduction to Thailand.

Feel free to ask anything more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Man I don't know how you can be writing a travel book on Thailand and telling folks to avoid using Tuk-Tuks :eek:

They're the only way to get around; agree a price in advance and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cson wrote: »
    Man I don't know how you can be writing a travel book on Thailand and telling folks to avoid using Tuk-Tuks :eek:

They're the only way to get around; agree a price in advance and you'll be fine.

I prefer motorbikes but ruling out tuk tuks is ridiculous.

Idobai wrote: »
    Hi guys I know thailand has been done to death on this forum but if ye could bare with me and give it a read I'd really appreciate it.

First off, I'm a single female traveller 24 and I'm thinking of spending four weeks (July 9th-august 9th) in Thailand this summer... I've travelled to asia before including underdeveloped places like borneo and Nepal but this is my first solo trip so feeling slightly apprehensive. Any girls out there have done this alone some feedback would be appreciated...

My route is looking like
    Bangkok
    Kanchanaburi
    Ayutthaya
    Khao Yai (will be meeting up with a friend who lives an hour away from it)
    Ko Pha Ngan
    Ko Phi Phi
    Koh Tao.

I guess I'm just wondering if this way of doing it makes any sort of sense or if I've missed anything crucial? I'm mainly interested in jungles and diving... I know it's not the best time of year for diving there but I believe Phi Phi and Tao are still a go? If anyone could give me a bit of advice that would be great I'm a bit apprehensive about the whole thing!

Cheers

That's a nice route. Kanchanaburi is my favourite place in Thailand and Ayutthaya is really interesting as well. Enjoy. There's nowhere on that list where you'll have any issues as a solo female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

I prefer motorbikes but ruling out tuk tuks is ridiculous.

For a single white female they are best avoided, the bag snatch scam is notorious with tuk-tuks and besides that they are hot dirty and dusty and cost the same as a taxi with aircon. The best mode of travel in Bangkok is the skytrain, cheap, reliable, cool and safe. In my opinion the tuktuks are a tourist trap that are there for a selfie if you're that way inclined. The title of the book is up to you which means I provide the information and people can make up their own minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

cson wrote: »

You would want to be mad to take a tuk-tuk before a taxi in Thailand.

They are totally unsafe and only a once off experience.
    Taxi's are so cheap its not worth the risk...

You would want to be mad to take a tuk-tuk before a taxi in Thailand.

They are totally unsafe and only a once off experience.
    Taxi's are so cheap its not worth the risk...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you'd take a tuk tuk from the airport or any long journey but they're useful when the traffic is gridlocked and you don't fancy a motorbike. In a lot of the smaller cities up north they're the best option and there are none of the rip offs you can get in Bangkok.

Advertisement