Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Delighted for Bingham. He played brilliant throughout this championship and faced some of the biggest names. Credit to Shaun Murphy for his performances too. On any other day he would have been champion with that kind of performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think you guys are reading too much into why JW stayed sat down. He's just not the type of guy to disrespect anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I know White was ill about two years ago, not sure if it was the worlds or not but the commentators were wishing him well. I really doubt there's anything unsporting or jealous about his conduct anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shaun Murphy take a bow. As good a loser and that word is wrong as I've ever seen. Class,he lost with dignity and was class throughout. A good guy, applauded Stuart's 147 attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

martyos121 wrote: »
    Snooker doesn't get the coverage it deserves. If anyone was watching by accident tonight, they're more than likely a fan now. Ridiculous that RTE don't show any of it anymore, and the BBC coverage should be a lot wider.
    Yep, I'm in that category. I used to be a big follower and only turned it on tonght because nothing else interested me ...... lucky me....I'll be watching more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Step-Daughter I believe......thought it was a little strange he didn't mention her.....

Was thinking the same during his interview alright.

Delighted he won it. Murphy went up a lot in my estimation too I always thought he came across as a smug git but he is a class act in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

colmulhall wrote: »
    Delighted for Bingham. He played brilliant throughout this championship and faced some of the biggest names. Credit to Shaun Murphy for his performances too. On any other day he would have been champion with that kind of performance.
    No losers tonight. Murphy was already my favourite and has gone up in my estimation even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Step-Daughter I believe......thought it was a little strange he didn't mention her.....

That was obvious as soon as I seen the wife/girlfriend. You knew the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Jimmy White is married to her!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well done to bingham. He was always another player in the pack. But in the last week he has beaten the best and played like I've never seen him play before. Sometimes a player hits top form in sheffield. Reminds me a bit of taylor in 85and johnson in 86. Just got it together.

So much better than seeing a davis or hendry going through the motions and destroying the field. Great snooker, great entertainment. 50 weeks to go to the crucible again thats the only downer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Snooker doesn't get the coverage it deserves. If anyone was watching by accident tonight, they're more than likely a fan now. Ridiculous that RTE don't show any of it anymore, and the BBC coverage should be a lot wider.

Push the Red button Marty... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Amazing game, delighted for Bingham. Snooker is one of the most enjoyable sports, if not the most enjoyable sport to watch on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Bingham's wife is a looker too, doesn't smile much though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Push the Red button Marty... ;)

I'm well used of it Barney, but they could do with at least putting it on BBC 3 or 4, easy to miss the red button feature if you're a casual viewer, and it would improve viewership of those channels too.
    Also I don't think BBC covers all the tournaments, so people without Eurosport have to settle for just the big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Enthralling match, Enjoyed it from start to finish. bit sad it's all over for another year. Well done Stuart, see ye next year defending the title and breaking the Crucible Curse !!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Great final. I couldn't decide who I wanted to win. Both would have been worthy but I'm delighted for Stuart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole tournament and delighted to see a new name on the trophy after a cracking final

Would be incredible to see Bingham be the man to break the Crucible curse next year, next April can't come soon enough! (Except for all the rugby, football, GAA etc. in between :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jimmy was in and out after the interval. He popped out for at least a frame there, and looked a bit bolloxed at the end.

I've been a big fan of Jimmy for 30+ years, and he had an immense natural talent, but I don't think he's ever made a single good decision in his life. Booze, drugs, women, 'mates', he's always been too open to distractions, he was runner-up so many times, if he'd applied himself that bit more he'd have had at least one, and probably more, world championships. He would have been grand if everyone had stayed at the early 80s level, he entered the professional game when it was an old boys' drinking club, Davis showed them up, then Hendry moved the game up another notch and showed what professionalism meant. You had to respect his talent even though it was dead boring to watch him win all the time.

Amazing game, delighted for Bingham. Snooker is one of the most enjoyable sports, if not the most enjoyable sport to watch on TV.

Well, we know that, the average punter will turn it on for 5 minutes and say it's 'boring'. Their loss.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Super from Bingham. No one deserved it more after 20 years of hard graft. From journeyman for most of his career and ending up as world champion, it's a staggering achievement. One of sports greatest infact. Controlled the second half of that game too. Murphy was only really winning frames from Bingham's mistakes, but when Bingham didn't make any he was totally in control. The difference was Bingham seemed to pot every half chance to get into frames first, from long balls behind the baulk line, whereas Murphy was constantly wobbling the jaws from those positions. So Bingham was normally in first and controlling the game from there.

The BBC analysts and commentators are getting a bit annoying though it must be said. Everything is great and the greatest ever seemingly. I know they do it to promote the game, as it struggles compared to the 80's etc, but it's a bit insulting constantly selling people a disingenuous half truth. Ye the standard has gone up for a variety of reasons, just like in every sport, but I'm not so sure the talent has gone up, or that the players are "better". If anything it's been regressing for the last 10 years or so in my opinion. John Parrot slightly touched on this earlier for a bit of balance, but never really went into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sligeach wrote: »
    Shaun Murphy take a bow. As good a loser and that word is wrong as I've ever seen.

There was no loser tonight.

There was a worthy winner and a dignified runner-up.

Scrap the cap!

still waiting on all these chinese to break through giving the sport is so popular over there. Every year bbc are telling us the break though is inevitable.
    probably deserves a seperate thread to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I'm well used of it Barney, but they could do with at least putting it on BBC 3 or 4, easy to miss the red button feature if you're a casual viewer, and it would improve viewership of those channels too.
    Also I don't think BBC covers all the tournaments, so people without Eurosport have to settle for just the big ones.

Demand and supply Marty. Just because you and I like a thing doesn't mean it would make sense for BBC to schedule it...

syngindub wrote: »
    still waiting on all these chinese to break through giving the sport is so popular over there. Every year bbc are telling us the break though is inevitable.
    probably deserves a seperate thread to be honest.

Th real talent is coming from Europe IMO. Brecel, White and McGill will be future world champions I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I haven't watched snooker since I was a teenager 15 years ago and caught this yesterday, bloody brilliant snooker. Having completely lost touch with the sport are there any other tournaments aired between now and next year on standard UPC channels?

So I haven't watched snooker since I was a teenager 15 years ago and caught this yesterday, bloody brilliant snooker. Having completely lost touch with the sport are there any other tournaments aired between now and next year on standard UPC channels?
    Eurosport show most if not all if anything is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Thrilled to see Bingham win. Really meant something to him. Murphy is a class act too and hopefully get the chance to lift that trophy again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think I'm on horizon max so I've got eurosport super. Off to google snooker :)

Brilliant final. Super play by both players and what a dignified loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Th real talent is coming from Europe IMO. Brecel, White and McGill will be future world champions I reckon.

I dunno if Brecel is all he's cracked up to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes, they show pretty much everything but its poor coverage. No content added whatsoever. No studio team or anything. I believe in some cases, the eurosport commentators are not even at the event, they simply talk over the tv feed.

Advertisement