Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Build, help! =)

Options
  • 20-04-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Hey, looking to tackle my first HTPC build, not to bad as far as gaming builds and generally builds but not so much on HTPC builds. It will be connected by HDMI to a tv

1. What is your budget? €500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any method

9. When are you purchasing? Sooooooon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I shall be building it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

HTPC means different things to different people, so maybe you should specify what it should be capable of doing?

Will it need tuners for DVD-T and/or DVB-S, will it be used as main storage for lots of films or maybe you will be using a different storage device such as a NAS?

Will it need to be capable of decoding/reencoding for other devices?

What about IP TV ... will it need to stream from the internet?

etc etc

Not everybody needs all those or other options.

For instance a NUC would be able to do most (not tuners) and be within budget and be small enough to hide away (if that was important).

For others a R-Pi would do.

Yet others would require a more capable device.

It depends on proposed usage, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Yeah, should have been a bit more specific, it's more a living room friendly PC/Media hub. So the main purpose is to have a central PC to store media for the laptops etc in the house, the other key use will be to stream and or play movies on the living room tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

NUC is probably only option if you need something really tiny - not really expandable and you're paying for the ultra small form factor. Don't have any personal experience with NUCs.

If you have more room Silverstone makes a ton of good looking HTPC cases in all kinds of sizes. I have the GD09 which is about the size/shape of an AV receiver. You can build with regular parts in a case like that - full size PSU, ATX mobo, etc.

Plex Media Server is good for serving video throughout the house. It will work much better if you have the server/htpc on a LAN connection (not wireless). I have mine hooked straight into the UPC horizon box, with HDMI straight to the TV. I also recommend Plex Home Theater for video playback. Get a FLIRC + Harmony remote and it will all run off the remote nicely.

Wired if at all possible is the way to go for distributing media .... much more reliable and less prone to interference.

I use a combination of NUC, R-Pi 2 & R-Pi B and a backend server for tuners and storage.

The operating system on all the devices is Openelec with Kodi, so it has very low system requirements.

The result is very reliable and the same interface on all devices so no problems as a user switches from one to another.

The NUC has a built-in receiver for a remote controller and I use Flirc on the Pi.

Laptops, PCs etc have Kodi installed and can view all available media (including LiveTV from Saorview and Satellite).

Lots of plugins are available for Kodi which covers all our needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

NUC is definitely the way forward, one of the i3 models will last about 10 years for that type of use, my main XBMC HTPC is a Core 2 Duo model from 2007 and still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Hadn't actually heard much about NUC and it does look like a good option although a somewhat restrictive option. The price is actually better than I'd expected though.

For arguments sake would someone be able to stick together a sample build of each? Big ask I know but it would be much appreciated.

For spec wise looking at an i3, 8gb, 2-3tb, Wifi

Unfortunately the end user will be using Wifi for streaming his media so that is out of my hands

What has determined the specs?
    Why an i3?
    Why 8GB RAM?

Why not a Celeron?
    Why not 1 or 2GB RAM?

For the use given in a previous post I see no reason for those specs.
    it's more a living room friendly PC/Media hub. So the main purpose is to have a central PC to store media for the laptops etc in the house, the other key use will be to stream and or play movies on the living room tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

He's looking for storage as well though, so a NUC is out. He's also listed 2-3TB in the spec, so NUC is definitely out.

Serephucus wrote: »
    He's looking for storage as well though, so a NUC is out. He's also listed 2-3TB in the spec, so NUC is definitely out.

Why?
    A NUC can take a HDD.
    (Not that I mentioned a NUC when querying the spec)

Nothing useful. 2.5" drives got up to 1.5TB. Pretty sure the thicker 2TB ones won't fit. Also it's completely stuck at that size, unless OP wants to start adding a bunch of external drives later on or something kinda ghetto.

• Advertisement

Nothing useful. 2.5" drives got up to 1.5TB. Pretty sure the thicker 2TB ones won't fit. Also it's completely stuck at that size, unless OP wants to start adding a bunch of external drives later on or something kinda ghetto.

There are definitely 2TB 2.5" drives available, and I believe now 3TB drives but they might be too thick (I don't know).

EDIT:
    It seems the thicker drives could be fitted, but some mods would be required .... not reasonable on a new device IMO, unless the owner is comfortable doing so.

See here ....

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-kit-d54250wykh-review_133823
    This is what Intel had to say:

“With the design of the 2.5” drive bay you could slip in a 15mm height drive. But some modifications are in order. You would need to break the tabs on the drive bay enclosure. That allows for higher than 9.5mm drives. To get the full 15mm you have to loosen the 4 screws that attach the drive cage to the bottom plate. Then you will be able to install the 15mm drive. But this means that the bottom plastic cover will not seat completely. You will be raised ~2 mm from complete closure. It should also be known at none of these taller drives have been tested the NUC thermally, so we don’t know if this will work thermally.” – Intel’s NUC Team

Never mind that fact that that's one drive. No expandability, no capacity for backups, nothing. If it were just a front-end, absolutely, but not for something that's also going to serve as a storage hub.

Never mind that fact that that's one drive. No expandability, no capacity for backups, nothing. If it were just a front-end, absolutely, but not for something that's also going to serve as a storage hub.

Well you obviously know more about the OPs requirements than I do.
    I guess I missed the part about requiring space for a 2nd HDD.

BTW ..... backups should not be held in the same PC as the originals ... and there is no restriction to do backups to external storage ......

So the main purpose is to have a central PC to store media for the laptops etc in the house, the other key use will be to stream and or play movies on the living room tv.

He's mentioned it a couple of times.

As for backups, if he's using a NUC, he'll have to use external drives; that's the only option.

OP, if you could answer a couple of other questions that would be great:
    How small do you want it? It is as small as possible, or just not as big as a normal computer?
    How much stuff are you planning on putting on it?
    Do you want to allow for expandability in the future, or for more hard drives to be used for backups?

Advertisement