Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing UK bank account and transferring sterling to Irish bank account

Options
  • 20-04-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've had fixed term savings bond in a UK bank which has run it's term. I now want to close this account and lodge the money (circa 15000 sterling) into my Irish bank account.

What is the best way for me to do this to get the best exchange rate and with the least bank fees?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Use Nationwide UK Ireland. I have a savings account with them and I asked them why they offer a GBP current account. They said its popular for people working in the UK to transfer money to their Irish Euro account, as it offers the best rates.

Currencyfair is another excellent opinion. Their rates almost match the official market ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

hfallada wrote: »
    Use Nationwide UK Ireland. I have a savings account with them and I asked them why they offer a GBP current account. They said its popular for people working in the UK to transfer money to their Irish Euro account, as it offers the best rates.

Currencyfair is another excellent opinion. Their rates almost match the official market ones.

+1 for currency fair. Cheap and quick. Just go on their website and type in the amount and will will give you the live rate. My sister exchanges sterling to euro with them all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have a savings account with them and I asked them why they offer a GBP current account

Nationwide UK (Ireland) do not offer GBP current accounts.
    They said its popular for people working in the UK to transfer money to their Irish Euro account, as it offers the best rates.

Huh? If a UK resident wants to transfer GBP to EUR into an Irish account they are far better off using an online currency broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Looks like the online currency brokers are the way to go. Just a matter now of seeing which has the best rate on the day.

Advertisement