Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't make work because of strike

Options
  • 20-04-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

With the impending dublin bus strike, it occurs to me this is the first time I'm dependant during a strike.

I depend on db to get across dublin for work, approx a 40 euro round trip in taxis.

Can I expect work to sub me this cost? Or what are the laws?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

I dont think you will be able to get a taxi

But also dont think that if you could that your work would sub the cost. I doubt there are any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

No, theres no provision for you. Tough **** I'm afraid. This is why the scale of the disruption is so big. I've an exam at 9am on the 1st May, and **** knows how I'll get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Get a taxi or ask a workmate to pick you up and you'll sub petrol. Or get together with a few people at your bus stop and club in for a private mini bus into a designated drop off point in the city centre, and a designated pick up point and time on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Tell them at work about the issue ASAP. Either other people will have similar issues and one of the above solutions will work or they'll roster around you.
    Do not leave them high and dry at the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bleedin Unions, thinking only of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

El Inho wrote: »
    With the impending dublin bus strike, it occurs to me this is the first time I'm dependant during a strike.

I depend on db to get across dublin for work, approx a 40 euro round trip in taxis.

Can I expect work to sub me this cost? Or what are the laws?

No, there is no law that says that employers are obliged to pay for taxis for their employees, in the event of a Dublin Bus strike.

Ask your employer if they are going to do something for their employees to help them out. They may, or they may not. It's entirely up to them. There is no law that forces them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I'm buggered as well.
    I live 15km from work and don't have a bike or car.
    Here are my options; the strike affects me work wise 3 days, as for any leisure activity I had planned that will just have to be cancelled but I can live with that.

1. Spend €60 per day on taxis.
    2. Try and borrow a bike from someone and cycle 30km per day (it is a LONG time since I have been on a bike, let alone tackled Dublin traffic!)
    3. Leave about 6.30am to walk to the nearest DART to get there for about 7ish in the HOPE that I will be able to wrangle a place on and get to Dublin 4 in time for 8.30am, even though they will be servicing the whole of North Wicklow!
    4. Stay somewhere else for 3 nights with people who live near a luas line because lets face it, anyone that lives near a luas wouldn't dream of getting the bus! This is my most likely option as my parents live about a 25 minute walk from a stop on the green line. I'd have a 25 min walk each way but in this weather it would be most pleasant! Will have to start organising this with them now as they are now inconvenienced too!

And I am probably one of the least inconvenienced. There are people with exams, tourists, people who need to get to work to actually care for people and who want to provide a public service, Slane is on etc etc.

One day, maybe even two, maybe even three....but SEVEN?
    I am incredulous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    3. Leave about 6.30am to walk to the nearest DART to get there for about 7ish
    4. Stay somewhere else for 3 nights with people who live near a luas line because lets face it, anyone that lives near a luas wouldn't dream of getting the bus! This is my most likely option as my parents live about a 25 minute walk from a stop on the green line. I'd have a 25 min walk each way but in this weather it would be most pleasant! Will have to start organising this with them now as they are now inconvenienced too!

A half hour walk it nothing, 25 minutes even less obviously. You have two handy ways to get into work compared to most who rely solely on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'll have to walk, will take me an hour each way. F$ck Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just googled for bike rental:
    http://rentabikedublin.com/dublin-bike-rental.php
    Daily Price €12.50 Weekly Price (Hi / Low) €70 / €60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I'll have to walk, will take me an hour each way. F$ck Dublin Bus.

Dublin Bus. In a world of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They should run the buses, but not collect fares. Its unfair that they are inconveniencing people for the day. Its also doing nothing for their support.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    A half hour walk it nothing, 25 minutes even less obviously. You have two handy ways to get into work compared to most who rely solely on the bus.

Exactly the walking is fine, I'm worried about getting a place on the dart as it will be serving the whole of north Wicklow. You missed my point completely. Also making me leave 2 hours early for work is not pleasant either.
    As for the luas that means leaving my family and inconvenicing my parents three times next months.
    The whole thing is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

What they're striking for is more important than a weeks disruption really - people should publicly back them to fight the tendering off of bus routes, because as more privatization rolls in our bus services are going to become even more expensive than they are now, with worse quality and routes.

Supporting their disruption now, will save you more bother/disruption and money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,564 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Bus lanes will be open to traffic

Lubberly jubberly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You need to find a way into work yourself.
    Pay taxi, ask a friend to pick you up. Maybe take a day Annual leave.

But it's not a reason not to go to work nor be late as your well warned and have plenty if time to plan an alternative travel plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What they're striking for is more important than a weeks disruption really - people should publicly back them to fight the tendering off of bus routes, because as more privatization rolls in our bus services are going to become even more expensive than they are now, with worse quality and routes.

Supporting their disruption now, will save you more bother/disruption and money in the long run.

Bring in privatization I say. Look at Luas, more expensive than Dublin but it's a faster far more reliable service and they don't strike.

Well worth the extra money and with the Leap card capped at 40 per week anyway. Price makes no odds anymore to me.

No support for Dublin Bus from me and I have friends who are bus drivers. It's the management that the problem.

Bring in privatization I say. Look at Luas, more expensive than Dublin but it's a faster far more reliable service and they don't strike.

Well worth the extra money and with the Leap card capped at 40 per week anyway. Price makes no odds anymore to me.

No support for Dublin Bus from me and I have friends who are bus drivers. It's the management that the problem.
    Luas serves two easily-profitable routes, not an entire city with routes of mixed or negative profit (which is why Dublin Bus is a public service - for serving routes which are socially beneficial, but which can't always be profitable).

Read up on the history of bus service privatization, and analysis of its results - it nearly always costs more, with worse service - you just end up subsidizing for-profit beneficiaries (be it management or otherwise) in private companies.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Bring on privatisation I say. My route has gone from having 5 bus routes to 1. Gone from a bus every few minutes to one when every it feels like it. 5 in a row and then none for 50 mins.

I bought a car because Dublin Bus are so unrealiable.

OP, can you organise car sharing? I will be doing that in my place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

A bus service I use was opened up to a private company, they did a reliable service for about half the cost of BE, and forced BE to improve their service and cut their fares, win win for everyone. Hopefully this strike opens people's eyes and encourages people to support private companies to take over from the wasteful inefficient public service.

John Mason wrote: »
    Bring on privatisation I say. My route has gone from having 5 bus routes to 1. Gone from a bus every few minutes to one when every it feels like it. 5 in a row and then none for 50 mins.

Take care of what you wish for. If the number of busses is reduced it is because it is not profit making. Private company might mean no bus!

Take care of what you wish for. If the number of busses is reduced it is because it is not profit making. Private company might mean no bus!

Most of the time the bus too full to get on.

John Mason wrote: »

Obviously your route is not profitable, so privatization will guarantee that it stays at 1 route instead of 5 - if you want 5 routes to service the area better, and with more frequency, then you want a public bus service, with more government funding - because how exactly would a privatized service afford unprofitable routes like that? (hint: it would need subsidies - i.e. you still end up paying for a crap service, except now you'll be subsidizing a for-profit private company)

This is why people should be supporting Dublin Bus here - greater privatization means all the unprofitable, yet socially beneficial, routes start to get cut more, fares start to cost more, and bus times get less frequent etc. - and you will still be paying for it, through government subsidies (except you'll now also be padding the pockets of private beneficiaries, running/owning the for-profit bus companies).
    You pay more for a worse service, covering less routes.

The entire point of public services, is that they are not meant to be run solely on a for-profit basis - because they are meant to prioritize social benefit, mixing profitable routes with unprofitable (but socially beneficial) routes - the latter gradually disappear with increased privatization.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

BeatNikDub wrote:
    One day, maybe even two, maybe even three....but SEVEN? I am incredulous!

I missed that. I noticed the other day it had gone from 1 day to 3. When did it jump to 7. I am all for supporting the workers and against the privatization plans for some routes but dear God 7 days over May including Uni exams and the May bank holiday. *note to self, put petrol in car*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What is proposed is not privatisation of the services, the NTA will issue a tender for the supply for services under PSO for a set period and companies bid for it. The NTA will set the standards of operational performance, customer service and penalties for non-performance and the company who requires the lowest subsidy will be awarded the contract, as currently with M&A Coaches. DB can bid but know they cannot compete with private operators paying market rates - screw them, we will get a similar level of service but it will be cheaper (not cheaper fares but less subsidy from the taxpayer). Ignore the misinformation coming from DB, they present this as state assets being handed over to private companies but that is not the case. Its up to DB to compete, thankfully the EU is making the government end their monopoly.

hdowney wrote: »
    I missed that. I noticed the other day it had gone from 1 day to 3. When did it jump to 7. I am all for supporting the workers and against the privatization plans for some routes but dear God 7 days over May including Uni exams and the May bank holiday. *note to self, put petrol in car*

The dates are
    May 1st, 2nd, 15th, 16th, 29th, 30th and 31st

Hope you can rearrange things without too much inconvenience but I don't think anyone of us can :/

Obviously your route is not profitable, so privatization will guarantee that it stays at 1 route instead of 5 - if you want 5 routes to service the area better, and with more frequency, then you want a public bus service, with more government funding - because how exactly would a privatized service afford unprofitable routes like that? (hint: it would need subsidies - i.e. you still end up paying for a crap service, except now you'll be subsidizing a for-profit private company)

This is why people should be supporting Dublin Bus here - greater privatization means all the unprofitable, yet socially beneficial, routes start to get cut more, fares start to cost more, and bus times get less frequent etc. - and you will still be paying for it, through government subsidies (except you'll now also be padding the pockets of private beneficiaries, running/owning the for-profit bus companies).

The entire point of public services, is that they are not meant to be run solely on a for-profit basis - because they are meant to prioritize social benefit, mixing profitable routes with unprofitable (but socially beneficial) routes - the latter gradually disappear with increased privatization.

As i said i bought a car years ago because of the lack of services.

I live in Finglas, it is a hugely populated area. I had the misfortune of having to use the bus last year for 8 weeks and it was impossible to get on due to crowding issues.

I would use the bus if it was feasible but really the excuse of being late to work every morning of well 4 buses didnt show up would wear thin pretty quickly.

Also it takes about 90 minutes to walk from town home i have waited for buses on Westmoreland street for 40/50 mins (they are supposed to be every 10 mins). i can walk home quicker than waiting on a bus.

the last time i phoned to complain, i was told "i cant tell you if your bus will turn up tomorrow morning, i dont know if i will be alive tomorrow morning. I cant see the future" :mad:

Then you have the guys who just decide they are not going to follow the route without telling anyone and you get left miles away from your bus stop.

Dublin Bus need a good kick up the arse, they have had for too cushy for far too long.

I am more than happy to support the privatisation of public buses - we might even start to get clean ones, that dont smell of mould and breakdown every other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Under public ownership, we lost our direct Dublin Bus route to the nearest village, where most of the pubs and restaurants are, as well as nearest train station. So if you now want to get there you have to get a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Private companies can do the same routes and service for less of a subsidy than Dublin Bus.

Advertisement