Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't make work because of strike

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I guess the point behind all this is that Dublin Bus costs a lot to run and they can't afford to hire more drivers partly because of higher labour costs (which look set to increase the moment the company starts to approach covering its basic costs again) as well as the very low level of subvention going towards services.

Also, sometimes there is a 4th 41X going at like 4.40 or 4.50 from UCD though I believe that's a spare driver who drives that if there aren't sick or missing drivers for other Xpresso services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So, lots of people are going to be Thumbing lifts again?
    Back to the 80's so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What they're striking for is more important than a weeks disruption really - people should publicly back them to fight the tendering off of bus routes, because as more privatization rolls in our bus services are going to become even more expensive than they are now, with worse quality and routes.

Supporting their disruption now, will save you more bother/disruption and money in the long run.

The NTA sets fares, quality, and routes. They do that now, and they will continue to do that into the future. What you're saying is scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Aard wrote: »
    The NTA sets fares, quality, and routes. They do that now, and they will continue to do that into the future. What you're saying is scaremongering.
    I said:
    What they're striking for is more important than a weeks disruption really - people should publicly back them to fight the tendering off of bus routes, because as more privatization rolls in our bus services are going to become even more expensive than they are now, with worse quality and routes.

Supporting their disruption now, will save you more bother/disruption and money in the long run.
    What you have said there, says nothing to counter what I have said.

It is the government/NTA who are making the politically-motivated push for piecemeal-privatization, so they can claim whatever they like in reports/contracts to try and give a positive impression, but they're not going to magically change the economic realities, of how previous tenderizing/privatization attempts went down.

The past precedent of tenderizing/privatization elsewhere, shows that this will not go down how they claim it will, and the economic reality here is that it will end up costing more (in terms of taxes + fares combined), with worse quality and routes:
    http://www.irishleftreview.org/2015/04/21/racing-public-transport-bottom/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

I'll be feeling really sorry for the poor auld DB drivers on €40k+ a year, as I walk 90 minutes to and from work on the strike days. Sure they're only looking out for you and me by taking this course of action, and definitely not striking just to maintain their existence in semi-state dream land, where the paying customer is always an afterthought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well if waste collection is anything to go by, I would be wary of privatization - this hasn't worked for anyone.

It's not privatisation! The infrastructure will be retained by the NTA, as will routings and quality control. It's the same way the Luas is operated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Aard wrote: »
    It's not privatisation! The infrastructure will be retained by the NTA, as will routings and quality control. It's the same way the Luas is operated.
    Bollocks - tendering off services to private companies, is the first step in creeping privatization. Except it's done NeoLiberal style: With public subsidies.

Fair enough if you want to believe that.

What the NTA are doing is akin to how TfL operate buses in London. It's not like bus services in other UK cities, which were/are a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lux23 wrote: »
    Well if waste collection is anything to go by, I would be wary of privatization - this hasn't worked for anyone.
    What's wrong with it? Our bins are collected on time, bin collections happen all year around even on bank holidays, our bins are put back in the place we left them and not strewn around the streets. We didn't like the way we were treated by one bin company, and we switched overnight. I think privatisation has been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

hmmm wrote: »
    What's wrong with it? Our bins are collected on time, bin collections happen all year around even on bank holidays, our bins are put back in the place we left them and not strewn around the streets. We didn't like the way we were treated by one bin company, and we switched overnight. I think privatisation has been great.
    It's fine when there is a functioning market and competition. Many areas have one choice of bin collection (including in 2013 in one part of Dublin where I lived). My experience then and my family's experience in rural Ireland was rather different...

If there is not going to be competition, like a natural monopoly, the state needs to have firm control of the market. It doesn't always mean that the govt has to run things from top to bottom either. And I don't think the NTA are doing anything like privatisation. The unions are overplaying their hand and only giving people more reason for supporting 100% tendering and the loss of control of depots. If tendering allows Dublin Bus to concentrate its limited (and expensive) staff pool to the routes the city needs to expand, everyone wins and Dublin Bus can go about earning money instead of driving very expensive near-empty buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

**** Dublin Bus.

Have an exam at 9.30 l. Have to get from Glasnevin to Dun Laoire, good luck.
    Will probably have to try to find a place to stay closer, fork out a hundred quid. Where's my bailout.

Privatisation will go ahead anyhow, it is E.U directed, and a good thing.

Pointless strike is pointless. *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Have an exam at 9.30 l. Have to get from Glasnevin to Dun Laoire, good luck.
    Will probably have to try to find a place to stay closer, fork out a hundred quid. Where's my bailout.

cab to Clontarf dart station would probably be much cheaper.

loyatemu wrote: »
    cab to Clontarf dart station would probably be much cheaper.

Be fun finding a cab, braving trafficchaos, the likely swelled dart and a then a nice brisk 30 min walk.

Top exam prep. **** Dublin bus and all who sail within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Cycle?

Was my first thought. Even though it's quite a cycle I would, but it's out to santry and there is no bike scheme parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

_Brian wrote: »
    You need to find a way into work yourself.
    Pay taxi, ask a friend to pick you up. Maybe take a day Annual leave.

But it's not a reason not to go to work nor be late as your well warned and have plenty if time to plan an alternative travel plan.

While I respect and understand your input, it's hardly fair. I've left my car in down the country to save money and it's more practical to use public transport - poster boy for the environment. But I live in city centre. And work is a 40 bus or two bus journey away. I would use Dublin bikes but cannot Park near work. Noone in my work lives city centre. Taxi for all these days would cost an absolute fortune, the guys of 30 to 40 quid a day. Annual leave is hard enough to come by, let alone using it when I don't want to.

I've have nothing further to input, just wanted to rant :)

Advertisement