Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First bike, recommendations?

• 20-04-2015 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I'm looking to get a decent bike this summer. I'm planning to cycle across Ireland next summer, so it'd have to be a durable bike and maybe a hybrid? I don't plan on taking any major routes, just going to go from town to town really.

Also I'd like to cycle on grass, small hills etc. I don't know much about bikes and what's new these days.

Any recommendations? I don't mind getting a second hand version (if it's in a decent state).

Forgot to mention, my budget would be 500 I think.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Funny :D

Sorry :o I was messing as I got sh1tfaced last night.

Second hand is the way to go for that money.

If you want to cycle on grass etc then maybe a second hand CX/Cross bike?

Try here? http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/bikes/road-bikes/830/q_cycling/price_250-500/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hi!

I'm looking to get a decent bike this summer. I'm planning to cycle across Ireland next summer, so it'd have to be a durable bike and maybe a hybrid? I don't plan on taking any major routes, just going to go from town to town really.

Also I'd like to cycle on grass, small hills etc. I don't know much about bikes and what's new these days.

Any recommendations? I don't mind getting a second hand version (if it's in a decent state).

Forgot to mention, my budget would be 500 I think.

:D

If you planning on riding across Ireland where do you see yourself being able to ride on grass/hills? The vast majority of country you'll be crossing is privately owned land that you just can't simply ride on without crossing fences/gates and even then you'll only be able to cover short distances before you have to cross more fences/walls/hedges etc and that's after you've sought permission....you'll find grass/hills in coastal beach areas where you can cycle but they generally run along the coast and again you'll find it partioned by fences etc

There will be some areas where there are off road cycle tracks and paths but unfortunately they're not that common and depending on what parts of the country you intend to cycle to/from there may be none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

If you planning on riding across Ireland where do you see yourself being able to ride on grass/hills? The vast majority of country you'll be crossing is privately owned land that you just can't simply ride on without crossing fences/gates and even then you'll only be able to cover short distances before you have to cross more fences/walls/hedges etc and that's after you've sought permission....you'll find grass/hills in coastal beach areas where you can cycle but they generally run along the coast and again you'll find it partioned by fences etc

There will be some areas where there are off road cycle tracks and paths but unfortunately they're not that common and depending on what parts of the country you intend to cycle to/from there may be none at all.

Loads of off road adventures to be had in Ireland. If around Dublin, there are a good number of fire roads in the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The vast majority of country you'll be crossing is privately owned land that you just can't simply ride on without crossing fences/gates and even then you'll only be able to cover short distances before you have to cross more fences/walls/hedges etc and that's after you've sought permission....you'll find grass/hills in coastal beach areas where you can cycle but they generally run along the coast and again you'll find it partioned by fences etc

I think you are reading the post wrong.

The OP hopes/plans to cycle across Ireland from town to town which would be on road. They would also like a bike that could be used on grass at some stage.

Advertisement