Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time brewing-Making Mead, best how tos out there?

Options
  • 20-04-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to try my hand at brewing for the first time. Does anyone know any good how to guides for making mead? Don't have any particular type in mind, but as it's my first time would like something that isn't too complicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Google search for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Its a very popular and easy mead to make (and delicious)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Was just about to google a recipe for this, about to make my first foray into home brewing! A very timely request and reply, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Great thanks for the recipe.

Where would be a good place to get most of the ingredients at a cheap enough place i.e the honey?

Am I right in saying that most of the brews should be drinkable after at least one month of brewing?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've made that mead and it wasnt anyway drinkable until a minimum of 6 months after bottling. it got nicer after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Beer, in general should be drinkable after 4-5 weeks but with mead you should leave it a minimum of 6 months - a year. The longer the better. In saying that, if it has cleared up within 2-3 months it will be drinkable but won't be anywhere near its best

You can pick up cheap enough honey in Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Davkinse

You can pick up cheap enough honey in Aldi

The problem with cheap honey is it's usually non EU which translates as Chinese honey from bees that are mainly fed sugar syrup, never seen a flower in their life. Might as well make your mead with sugar and water, proper mead uses honey from bees that have foraged many different flowers thus giving you some wonderful flavours and fragrance's. I speak as a beekeeper and a mead maker, find a beekeeper and buy a few pounds of honey in bulk, more expensive but worth it. Maybe even barter with the bee keeper with the promise of a couple of bottles of mead for them in a few months time in exchange for the honey.

Advertisement