Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Mating Already???

• 20-04-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi There,

I have aferal cat conoly in my area that I am trying to control! Mother gave birth two weeks ago to two kittens. One went missing after a week, and is presumed dead. Today, she is systematically shagging three other cats (very loudly).

Is the two week old at risk of abandonment, or worse? Just worried that I might have to take the little mite in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She's in serious trouble, hats. :(

The last pregnancy did not go well by the sounds of it, and now she is about to add the demands of pregnancy to a situation where she is also nursing, which is a big physical strain on her in itself. Do you know that the kitten is still alive? I would be looking to spay her ASAP. Vets should do a midline incision and get her back to her location 18 hours post-op. It won't affect her milk production. Pregnant and nursing at the same time - she will be emaciated in no time. :(

The fact of being pregnant shouldn't affect her attitude to the kitten, AFAIK.

Feral cats have it lousy, huh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hats

Thanks Boomerang. My main concern at the moment is the kitten - the mother will be fine :-)

Looks like she has abandoned the kitten, which has an eye infection. Trip to the vet is in order I think, and a quick guide to how to hand rear a two week old!

Will have to try and catch mom to get her to the vet as well though. Little hussey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hats wrote: »
    TLooks like she has abandoned the kitten, which has an eye infection. Trip to the vet is in order I think, and a quick guide to how to hand rear a two week old!
    Bottle feeding every couple of hours.

While time consuming at the time the reward is even greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hats

Thanks for that Nody very informative and helpful.

My big issue is that I work full time and long hours, and there is no one to help out with this. I'll see what the vet says anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It is hard work, I've done it, there's cleaning after feeds to do too.
    Your vet may know someone who will take it on, or call rescues. Hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement