Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic pain in 3 year old at night time

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi mums, looking for a bit of advice....has anyone experienced trapped wind in a 3 year old? My ds had a tummy bug nearly 4 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago struggled with constipation. He has never had any trouble with his bowels before this episode even as a baby. Now it seems that he is suffering with extreme trapped wind, especially at night time! He hasn't slept properly for nearly 2 weeks whereas previously we wouldn't hear from him all night....the pain he is so severe he is waking and screaming in pain while twisting and turning for periods of 30/40mins at a time! If anyone has experienced anything like this can you please help me out with any advice you have....I hate seeing my baby in such pain!!
    Thanks a million in advance of any advice,
    Deezel34

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

deezel34 wrote: »
    Hi mums, looking for a bit of advice....has anyone experienced trapped wind in a 3 year old? My ds had a tummy bug nearly 4 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago struggled with constipation. He has never had any trouble with his bowels before this episode even as a baby. Now it seems that he is suffering with extreme trapped wind, especially at o

night time! He hasn't slept properly for nearly 2 weeks whereas previously we wouldn't hear from him all night....the pain he is so severe he is waking and screaming in pain while twisting and turning for periods of 30/40mins at a time! If anyone has experienced anything like this can you please help me out with any advice you have....I hate seeing my baby in such pain!!
    Thanks a million in advance of any advice,
    Deezel34

My little one developed an intolerance for dairy products after a tummy bug. She had wind and diarrhea. Maybe cut out milk and cheese fir a while and see if it improves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

That's sounds very traumatic for your little one. I suggest a trip to the gp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Screaming in pain? What's the hold up, go to a doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deezel34

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    My little one developed an intolerance for dairy products after a tummy bug. She had wind and diarrhea. Maybe cut out milk and cheese fir a while and see if it improves?

Thanks, already on a lactose free diet😕

pwurple wrote: »
    Screaming in pain? What's the hold up, go to a doctor!

Been to the doc, twice and admitted to hospital with all tests coming back clear but no info on how to deal with crippling trapped wind....just looking for some helpful tips on how to decrease his pain and discomfort

• Advertisement

That's sounds very traumatic for your little one. I suggest a trip to the gp.

Thanks, been to 2 different docs and hospital trip but no real advice on how to deal with trapped wind other than calpol and nurofen:((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know an adult who takes deflatine for painful trapped wind, might be a children's version available otc too. Ask pharmcist.

I'd go back to doctor again too and keep pushing it rather than restricting the diet further. It sounds like something physically wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

After my c section I had terrible pain from trapped wind and in the hospital the midwives gave me peppermint water, it helped a lot. You can probably buy it in a health shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Our pharmacist recommended a colic syrup for normal everyday usage to help prevent trapped wind. Talk to yours and see what they recommend.

btw Dad's post here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Fennel is brilliant for wind, tea or seeds, you might get him to drink some with a little honey? Also, keep an eye on how he eats, mouth open or gulping might be adding to the problem.
    It could also be that the bug is not fully gone, have you tried a good probiotic? not a yoghurt kind, they don't work, it would help his tummy flora back on track.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Most wind is actually made by the bacteria in your gut. If he had a stomach bug recently, his gut bacteria could be all disrupted. It can happen when one 'bad' bug takes over and outgrows all the good ones. When the bad bug is then gone, the good ones take a while to get back to normal levels. Give him things that help with gut bacteria, different yogurts, probiotics, as well as lots of fresh fruit and veg as the good bugs love the fibre. Might be an idea to stay clear of windy veg like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage for a while.

We were advised to move our baby's legs in a 'bicycle' motion when he's on his back to help with wind. I know your fella isn't a baby but something similar might help.

Apart from that. If my stomach is bloated I find hugging a hot water bottle helps.

If his stomach is sensitive I'd stay away from any painkillers that have ibuprofen or aspirin or any NSAIDs . They can be tough on the stomach lining. Perhaps ask your pharmacist for advice on that.

Wishing you and him all the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I swear by Dr. Udo s probiotics. I use them myself and have used them on both of my children, ( new baby and eight year old). I agree with madeinamerica, the bacteria in your gut is affected after tummy bugs.

Advertisement