Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 Build including OS

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on parts (everything that I would need bar a keyboard, mouse and monitor basically) to build my own PC. This will be used mostly for gaming, have a large collection on steam to dig into including some latest titles. My main game however, is WoW and I would aim to be able to play it on max settings and retain about 50-60FPS. If I can do this for a grand, i'll be ecstatic. I would also use it for some potentially intensive programming.

I would also like a quiet machine, water cooled if necessary and within the budget constraints.

Also just to note, I've heard the best budget processor is the 4690K i5, correct me if I'm wrong obviously, but if it is, i'd prefer if the build was based around this processor.

1. What is your budget? ~€1000 - including OS

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly gaming + streaming, specifically mainly WoW. Potential programming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Ideally Yes, can get it by other means if it means a better part.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Would rather not, my old, pre built build (from Vibox) is mostly running on AMD material and I mostly would like Intel + Nvidia materials going forward.

5. Do you need a monitor? Not particulary, reccomendations for good high speed full HD 1ms monitors under €200 (outside of the PC budget) would be appreciated though.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Need no peripherals, have speakers, monitor, keyboard and mouse all set. If you think I'm missing something, give me a shout.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Depends, doubt it would be necessary, but ye are the experts!

8. How can you pay? Card, transfer, paypal etc.

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I think I have someone willing to help, would come back to the thread and ask for assistance if this changed.

Thanks for any help offered :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 180
    Crucial Ballistix 8gb Ram 55
    Nanoxia DS3 65
    As rock Extreme3 motherboard 115
    Crucial MX100 512gb ssd 175 (games and OS, you won't know yourself)
    Seagate Barracuda 1tb 55
    Thermal take 630w PSU 60
    GTX 970 370

Its roughly 1000, no calculator handy. Smaller SSD if its over. No need in 4690k from gaming, not worth premium over 4460. PSU and motherboard leave room for another GPU if you want in time

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Hi mate, thanks for the response :D. Couple questions:

1 - Does this setup come with a disk drive? I know they're not 100% necessary but would like one especially for installing Windows or running CD's, old games etc.

2 - Would this build have wireless capabilities? Or would you need to add a wireless PCI into the mix?

3 - This build where I looked was around 100 with that SSD, think the most I could afford would be a 128GB. All I would really need on the SSD is my boot partition and maybe World of Warcraft for fast booting / response. Could you perhaps provide one of those link tables to that German sales site in case the parts I found were slightly wrong and hence more expensive?

4 - I assume this kit would come with HDMI slots, USB (preferably 3.0) slots, and all other connections I would need?

5 - Does the case itself and the parts come with enough cooling to not need extra fans / cooling system?

Thanks again for the response and thank in advance of any other help you can offer!

1. I'll add one in
    2. I'll add one in
    3. A 256 will fit anyways, I'll draw links up now.
    4. It's all in the motherboard/graphics card
    5. Case comes with 3 fans and loads of room. Mine idle's mid 20's with 2 fans, I've hit as low as 13 with extra fans, so yes the case has good cooling. I had the fans handy, you won't need more than is supplied.

Item|Price
    MSI Gaming R9 290 4G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 4GB DDR5|€€ 308
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 182
    Thermaltake 630W Berlin|€€ 58
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, without power supply|€€ 66
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 55
    Crucial 256GB SSD MX100 2.5 "(7mm)|€€ 97
    ASRock Z97 Extreme3, LGA 1150, ATX|€€ 111
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 78
    Samsung SH-224DB black|€€ 12
    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND network card / adapter|€€ 14
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€998

Windows

I've left you loads of room for expansion here, 2Tb HDD, R9 290 is significantly cheaper than 970, with minimal performance difference, like 5% or something at 1080p, as resolution increases AMD gets better. Motherboard can handle a second 290, as can the PSU.

Ask away if you've any more questions

Item|Price
    MSI Gaming R9 290 4G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 4GB DDR5|€€ 308
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 182
    Thermaltake 630W Berlin|€€ 58
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, without power supply|€€ 66
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 55
    Crucial 256GB SSD MX100 2.5 "(7mm)|€€ 97
    ASRock Z97 Extreme3, LGA 1150, ATX|€€ 111
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 78
    Samsung SH-224DB black|€€ 12
    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND network card / adapter|€€ 14
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€998

Windows

I've left you loads of room for expansion here, 2Tb HDD, R9 290 is significantly cheaper than 970, with minimal performance difference, like 5% or something at 1080p, as resolution increases AMD gets better. Motherboard can handle a second 290, as can the PSU.

Ask away if you've any more questions

Hmm, kind of had my mind set on the 970. Like I could manage with the 1tb drive and 128gb ssd (only for booting and one game). Would you think that's be a better option or would you stick with your above suggestion? Would it be around the same price with those changes? Thanks for the Windows link too, as well as all your help thus far =D

• Advertisement

Yeah it'll work our a very similar price off the top of my head, to within €10 or so.

Not worth it in my opinion, of course some people prefer nVidia to AMD so by all means get the 970 if you'd prefer to have it behind you.

Geizhals.de is the discount site for lower prices, or I can pull up a link later if you'd prefer

Great, thanks mate :D. Is that a reputable site or am I better buying from the linked site? (Though their prices seem to be a little higher than menitioned by you atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

If you are considering adding a second R9 290 in crossfire in the future, or just leaving the possibility open, get a stronger PSU. I'd recommend a decent 850w. My 3570k and two R9 290's can show spikes of up to 700w being pulled from the wall under full load.

Think i'll be good with one 4GB for the next few years anyway Brian. Thanks for that though!

brainiac wrote: »
    Great, thanks mate :D. Is that a reputable site or am I better buying from the linked site? (Though their prices seem to be a little higher than menitioned by you atm)

You type the item name into giezhals and you can get back a link to hardwareversand with a lower price.

1tb HDD

128Gb SSD

There's links for everything if you want them, won't need a 700W if you opt for 970. 700W is way too much for a single card anyways, so maybe keep the 630W for now.

• Advertisement

Great, and I assume everything is compatible no matter what subet or the parts I choose? I'll have a think about the GFX anyway, will probably get the 2TB HDD since its less than 20E in the difference. And then possibly the smaller SSD, it should do me at 128 anyway like for booting and some basic stuff.

Yeah it's all compatible

I seen your post on another thread there aswell mate, is it hardwareversand that offer a build service if I'm feeling lazy? :P Or another site?

I've been doing so many builds lately :D Learning loads from it so no hassle for me. They'll do it for a fiver but you'll lose the geizhals discount too

How does that end up happening? xD So realistically it'd cost about 40-50+ quid because of that

Could be upwards of 70-80 on your budget

Well, that's a shame, suppose I can't be lazy then

Final Purchase was:

8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    No HV20MI48DE 59,99 € 1 59,99 €

ASRock Z97 Extreme3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    No HV1138RODE 118,64 € 1 118,64 €

Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)
    No HV12Z740DE 65,89 € 1 65,89 €

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box
    No HV20I546DE 184,99 € 1 184,99 €

MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 4GB GDDR5
    No HV1040MFDE 369,99 € 1 369,99 €

Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil
    No HV203HSCDE 70,00 € 1 70,00 €

Rechner - Zusammenbau
    No HVZPCDE 5,00 € 1 5,00 €

Samsung SH-224DB schwarz
    No HV207SX8DE 12,08 € 1 12,08 €

Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    No HV13SB72DE 84,79 € 1 84,79 €

Thermaltake Berlin 630W
    No HVR630TCDE 55,11 € 1 55,11 €

TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Netzwerkkarte/-adapter
    No HV25TWMLDE 15,99 € 1 15,99 €

Total cost with shipping and to have the PC assembled before shipping was €1034.46. Got a 20Euro coupon off a site that could be used if you spent over €1000 (just google hardware versand vouchers) Not bad :D.

Thanks again Digital Solitude in particular for all your help!

Also if anyone has any reasonably priced monitor suggestions with a good refresh rate and 1080p let me know. Something that would really make my setup shine :D

Hey guys, I noticed that the 128GB Crucial SSD now says "discontinued line" on the product page. Will this be a problem with these guys? How will they handle these situations if they genuinely have none left to install in my system? Will they ask me to pay more for the next best thing / ask to refund me the SSD part of the cost? I have seen a lot of people say they become troublesome when something goes wrong with an order.

Also, could still use some good suggestions for the monitor as per above :)

• Advertisement

If there's no error on the order page you're probably okay. If you've to wait a few days, they'll recommend a different 128gb drive, and ask them to make up the difference because of the delay. Its worth a shot, worked for a mate of mine.

Email them in German and ask can they reply in English if you need to get in touch, they aren't troublesome, just slow.

Well, this arrived for me yesterday evening. Spent the whole night finding an EU adapter, fiddling with cables that didn't want to work, installing OS, installing millions of drivers and NVIDIA tools and eventually installing some games.

Delighted to say WoW runs on full ultra settings at about 70-140 FPS :D. Very happy with the SSD boot speed and all so far, even the HDD access where steam is is quite fast.

Only problem I have is, the new PC doesn't fit under my old computer desk because the case is so huge xD. So, bit of a different question for you. Anyone recommend any decent PC desks that will fit this monster under it, have leg room underneath it and be large enough for a 24" monitor and speakers to fit nicely without being insanely huge? Would be appreciated :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Just to add re os. if you have an version of windows 7 or 8 (legal or not), from an old laptop or pc you can get a free upgrade in June to windows 10..

Never read thread. You have it all done enjoy

Advertisement