Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under developed thyroid gland in new born

Options
  • 20-04-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, my daughter who is now nearly 6 months old was diagnosed with an under developed thyroid gland discovered from the heel prick test. She is on medication taken daily and tg seems to be thriving. We were told by temple St consultant that this is rare and she will be on medication for life.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm not sure about an under developed thyroid gland but my best friends brother has congenital hypothyroidism he's 35 now and absolutely perfect: drives her mad at times like any older brother still ;)

I had an overactive thyroid and needed radioactive iodine as a teenager to kill off my thyroid so am underactive now. Just have to take my tablets every day and have blood tests every few months.

It must have been a big shock to you: glad she's doing well x

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

cyning wrote: »
    I'm not sure about an under developed thyroid gland but my best friends brother has congenital hypothyroidism he's 35 now and absolutely perfect: drives her mad at times like any older brother still ;)

I had an overactive thyroid and needed radioactive iodine as a teenager to kill off my thyroid so am underactive now. Just have to take my tablets every day and have blood tests every few months.

It must have been a big shock to you: glad she's doing well x

Thanks cyning. 😘 it's just hard to find someone with the same with a new born.

Advertisement