Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange behaviour from bitch

• 20-04-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hiya my husky bitch is acting strange. She was in heat back in feb.
    We have her in a run during the day and in the kitchen in evening/nite.
    She loves this and never crys/howls.
    Last nite she was constantly crying howling so we brought her into sitting room with us. Still very uneasy.
    Today the same in the run crying all day. Walked and played with still the same.
    Tonight again the same. I tried playing rope with her. She wud pick it up but cry when she had it. She then made me bring her outside and she left the rope outside her house in the run. We went back inside and no sign of crying yet.
    Any ideas what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If she was in heat in Feb she could be having a phantom pregnancy. The timing would be right. Have you noticed her teats becoming bigger or her looking a bit loose underneath?

If it is a phantom then don't pander to her but increase her exercise & keep her mind busy i.e. stuff kongs etc. Take away any fluffy toys from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Knine wrote: »
    If she was in heat in Feb she could be having a phantom pregnancy. The timing would be right. Have you noticed her teats becoming bigger or her looking a bit loose underneath?

If it is a phantom then don't pander to her but increase her exercise & keep her mind busy i.e. stuff kongs etc. Take away any fluffy toys from her.

Wud she not want to keep the toy with her If it is a phantomy pregnancy?

Not always. Is she eating as normal & definitely not in pain?

One of mine suffered from them & had no interest in small furry toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Knine wrote: »
    Not always. Is she eating as normal & definitely not in pain?

One of mine suffered from them & had no interest in small furry toys.

Eating normal so far. This toy is a ruber rope. She does not have any fluffy toys. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I have seen her licking underneath like she does when in heat. Have not noticed her looking bigger or bigger teeth

Keep an eye out for any excess drinking of water or discharge in case of womb infection. If it is a phantom they tend to happen again. Spaying when she is mature will prevent it.

She could also be crying because she is the run on her own & wants to be with her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

My raven had two phantom pregnancies

one where she swore a teddy was her pup, and if you touched it she'd stare the bejaysus at you, when you gave it back she's lick it all over and sniff it...

other she just cried.. and whimpered and wanted attention, uneasy, seems bored, was fine when walking, eating etc.

she also had mastitis, which is an infection in the milk ducts?
    did you check them out?

We had her neutered recently so i hope it won't happen again..
    i have been told it is common to happen even after being spayed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i would echo knines advise re womb infection ( pyometra ) the time frame would make me extra vigilant she may have a discharge that she is masking by keeping herself clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Is there any chance that she is actually pregnant, not just having a phantom?

Advertisement