Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower

Options
  • 20-04-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I currently looking for a lawnmower and I'm looking for advise I need a large cutting blade and must be self propelled but cannot be a ride on due to gradients on lawn. Is steel or aluminium deck best and what are prices of same???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Steel ones rust if not cleaned or painted I use Underbody car sealer on mine 5yrs only 3yrs old but not a spot of rust
    If you cam get aluminium price will vary with makes but shouldn't be that much different..
    Relations two john deer self drive with alloy decks that are 20-25yrs old and never missed a beat granted they were high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hackers4

Steel ones rust if not cleaned or painted I use Underbody car sealer on mine 5yrs only 3yrs old but not a spot of rust
    If you cam get aluminium price will vary with makes but shouldn't be that much different..
    Relations two john deer self drive with alloy decks that are 20-25yrs old and never missed a beat granted they were high end.

Arthur it's an Apache aluminium deck self propelled mower do you know much about them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Hey, sorry about bumping another thread but I'm not allowed to start new ones in this forum yet.

I'm looking to buy a new petrol lawnmower for my parents for Christmas. Ideally around the €400 mark, but would be prepared to stretch to €600 if necessary. It would be for a decent sized garden (sorry I can't give measurements, I'm beyond clueless when it comes to gardening) and I'd ideally like it to come with a 3+ year guarantee.

Any recommendations on a good one that might be widely available in garden centres? I'd be buying in Cork if possible.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Any recommendations on a good one that might be widely available in garden centres? I'd be buying in Cork if possible.

Thanks a million!

First recommendation would be to avoid garden centres when it comes to lawnmowers. Most of them are clueless and sell Chinese rubbish tarted up as lawnmowers. Seek out a good local lawnmower dealer who they can come back to for aftersales/service. If you give your location I'm sure someone will recommend a good dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

has anyone any opinion on this Ryobi 53cm for a large lawn area - currently half price in homebase @ €250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

ablelocks wrote: »
    has anyone any opinion on this Ryobi 53cm for a large lawn area - currently half price in homebase @ €250

....being Ryobi, body parts will ready available so no worries there....engine is quite good too....most if not all these engine are made in China nowadays just a different stable....some extra TLC on lesser know engines and they will serve you well.... if you do buy, make sure and change oil after 4/5 hours of use (This is the engine break in period) use a good quality oil and change twice in a cutting season and you will have it for years.... Poor quality/low oil and dirty air filters are the cause of many premature deaths in lawnmowers....;)

BTW 53cm at 250eur is very good!!

IMO regarding buying lawnmowers from garden centers etc is you cant go to far wrong :).. most of these lawnmowers are returned because of user brutality... you can certainly go to a lawnmower dealer for "top" brands but you will pay top dollar.... many of the cheaper mowers will survive for many years IF looked after....when investing in a cheaper mower always check how ready parts are available online, if its a struggle to find parts like wheels, cables, body parts then stay clear....otherwise knock yourself out..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Would anyone know, what is the widest deck push lawnmower you can get in Ireland.

I've a huge garden but nowhere to store a ride on. I plan on paving a good portion anyway and putting in a play area for the kids so that will reduce the area to cut.

Would anyone know, what is the widest deck push lawnmower you can get in Ireland.

I've a huge garden but nowhere to store a ride on. I plan on paving a good portion anyway and putting in a play area for the kids so that will reduce the area to cut.

Some go to 30" plus ish twin blade but you will pay....anywhere from 11 - 1500.. most common large size is 22"

Advertisement