Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on cars after 1960..............

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^^ Is there an exemption for indicators??
    I'm aware that early cars didnt have any, and some 60's vehicles had red rear/white front indicators, but it is rare nowadays to see any vintage/classic vehicles with no orange indicators fitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

Silvera wrote: »
    ^^^ Is there an exemption for indicators??
    I'm aware that early cars didnt have any, and some 60's vehicles had red rear/white front indicators, but it is rare nowadays to see any vintage/classic vehicles with no orange indicators fitted...

As far as I know Irish law did not require stop lamps/brake lights, indicators, or number plate lights until October 1963. Dipping headlights were not required by law until 1948.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

I could be out on year 2016 or is it 18 unsure. I was told by someone working very close to the RSA, I agree it is not in line with Ministers reply but for now and untill I am told different I tend to believe my contact. however rolling 1980 would great. :)
    macplaxton wrote: »
    Jack, How does your fairly reliable source square a 40 year rolling from 2016 to the Minister's reply?

"I am advised that none of the recommendations contained in the RSA's review would involve those who currently enjoy an exemption from compulsory testing...being brought within the compulsory roadworthiness testing regime."

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Personally, I'd be happy to pay €60 to have my car checked every year but I would not trust some of the guys in NCT centres to do it considering some of the stuff that I've experienced on modern cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there is no commercial reason to nct pre 80's cars
    i doubt it'll be a rolling exemption tbh too much modern stuff coming out from that point onwards
    my 77 car would pass no bother (assuming no emissions test) but the hassell of bringing her in once a year for the test would mean i'm against the test

however i've looked at cars that people are driving around in that literally are pieces of rust held together with dirt and shouldn't be on the road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

okistag wrote: »
    I could be out on year 2016 or is it 18 unsure.

They can of course implement the directive into national law early, but the 2018 is the deadline.

It could of course be later than the deadline if past experience is anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The UK seems to be introducing a rolling NCT exemption. I was on a run behind some immaculate sportscar, with no bloody brake or stoplights. I hope stupidity of that sort is rare. I really don't think extra government charges (and a subsidy to the Irish motor 'industry') are really a good thing. More Gardai on the roads watching for stupidity and inappropriate speed is better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The UK seems to be introducing a rolling NCT exemption.

"Seems to be"?

The UK is doing nothing at the moment. Election time and all that. Parliament finished at the end of March, so it would seem that the election result will determine what changes, if any, are made - regardless of the opinions expressed in last year's consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Bigus wrote: »
    How much play is the manufacturers bearing tolerance on a 1924 bearcat ? Wobbly or is very wobbly still acceptable ?

What should the alignment be ? No reference available

and what's tolerable leakage from a leather gasket ? Two drips per minute ?

Is that the model fitted with shocks or was that only the model introduced in 1925 ?

Should the car be even fitted with a windscreen , or should plain glass be replaced with toughened .

I drove a 1928 Rolls as a wedding car and because it was for hire and reward it was nct'd every year. The only thing that had to be pointed out to the tester was to use the decelerometer for the brake test.

Advertisement