Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Toyota Avensis

• 21-04-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭

2016-Toyota-Avensis.jpg

toyota-avensis-2016-03-e1425827649611.jpg

Obviously a heavy facelift of the current model but could easily be mistaken for a Hyundai. Larger over hangs at the front. Not overly gone on that wood effect in the interior either. BMW diesel engine replaces the old D-4D unit too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ew. Alien looking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

can they not just launch a completely new model.... don't like this shape Avensis. Even disguise it a bit more from the side view..... To look at the side of the car you would barely tell the difference...

I thought the Aygo's "face" looked alright when I seen it. I don't like this Avensis front end though. Looks like an angry dog. Very 'in your face' or something. Not mad about it on the Avensis at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Awful looking yoke. Pure sh*te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh dear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I don't think it's that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

No worse than current Passat. Its OK. Says a lot about Toyota when they put out a high tech demo with what looks like 16" alloys and no leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Looks pretty "nothingy" to me tbh. I'm sure BMW's diesels with their timing chain problems will only add to Toyotas ever famous reliability as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

166man wrote: »
    Looks pretty "nothingy" to me tbh. I'm sure BMW's diesels with their timing chain problems will only add to Toyotas ever famous reliability as well!

To be fair, lets be honest, your mind was made up before you ever opened the thread :)

I'm not saying i love it, but much like the hyundai thread, lets be open minded and logical. When was the new avensis ever a style icon and has it ever held it back before?

Toyota have made a point of saying in the press that the timing chain has been redesigned in the borrowed 2.0, that combined with the engine being transversely mounted rather than longitudinally in the BMW would make any repairs much less painful.

I'd imagine most irish ones will be the 1.6d anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I must say, I really like the Touring, stick a set of 17's/18's on it and it'd be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Really is just a facelift as I can see a lot of the interior is the same as my own 2012,when is it being launched here,i assume next year?

I must say, I really like the Touring, stick a set of 17's/18's on it and it'd be grand!

There's 17s on the one pictured imo

18s on the saloon same on the tourer id say,they have gone up an inch again,mine is on 17s,previous model on 16s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

looks ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Augeo wrote: »
    There's 17s on the one pictured imo

They still look completely lost in the arches :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

wow that's bad looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

ofcork wrote: »
    Really is just a facelift as I can see a lot of the interior is the same as my own 2012,when is it being launched here,i assume next year?
    Not contradicting you but I don't think "just a facelift" captures how far out of comfort zone that front end will take traditonal Irish Avensis buyers.
    ( Not sure how many of them are left to be honest, I reckon most are in Jettas/Passats/Octavias these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Launch date is June/July afaik. It will probably still sell well here, people who drive the current model will probably continue to buy it like they always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Its not great but its no Fiat Multipla either!! Front is very i40 and side looks much same as current one or the IS lexus imo.

Desperate phone photoshop. Sums up my thoughts on this thread.
    IMG_20150421_132802.jpg
    9773531.jpg

• Advertisement

still looks ugly as sin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The side profile is a bit long in the tooth to pull off such a dramatic front end meaning it's always going to look like it's grafted onto an old car. The tourer does look better though.

looks like the new ford mondeo thats had a prang into a pole

....( Not sure how many of them are left to be honest, I reckon most are in Jettas/Passats/Octavias these days)

Many taxi drivers and farmers have doubt moved to the Octavia.
    Not many reps would take an Avensis over a Mondeo or Insignia for the last 5 years or so imo, or 10 years in the case of the Mondeo.

In fairness to Toyota the mk 1,2 and 3 avensis were completely different looking cars unlike audi etc,im surprised they haven't come up with a completely new design given this shape is around since 09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

To be fair, lets be honest, your mind was made up before you ever opened the thread :)

I'm not saying i love it, but much like the hyundai thread, lets be open minded and logical. When was the new avensis ever a style icon and has it ever held it back before?

Toyota have made a point of saying in the press that the timing chain has been redesigned in the borrowed 2.0, that combined with the engine being transversely mounted rather than longitudinally in the BMW would make any repairs much less painful.

Not exactly, if it had looked decent then I'd have said differently, but it doesn't, so I wont.

Them saying it has been redesigned doesn't really surprise me, of course they would say that! Sure BMW said that cars after April 2011 weren't affected by the chain issue, with first hand experience, I beg to differ.

Just because the Avensis was never a style icon doesn't mean it still can't be. With all Toyotas background, history, and market dominance you'd think they'd make an effort. But nope, just another lazy design knowing the public will buy it. Fair play to them for going about their business that way though, just don't expect me to like it!

Not exactly, if it had looked decent then I'd have said differently, but it doesn't, so I wont.

Who are you trying to fool, me or you :P
    Them saying it has been redesigned doesn't really surprise me, of course they would say that! Sure BMW said that cars after April 2011 weren't affected by the chain issue, with first hand experience, I beg to differ.

Just because the Avensis was never a style icon doesn't mean it still can't be. With all Toyotas background, history, and market dominance you'd think they'd make an effort. But nope, just another lazy design knowing the public will buy it. Fair play to them for going about their business that way though, just don't expect me to like it!

But why would they want it to be a 'style icon' if it doesn't need to be. They have always had reasonable success through bland and conservative designs, they know where they need to be target market wise and maybe aren't investing heavily in a department that doesn't define their brand. The same people who say it's ugly are the same people who still wouldn't buy it if it was drop dead georgous because "it's a toyota". If it aint broke and all that...

BM trouble-you for example came out with something similar and basically said they can compromise on substance and can stick a beemer badge on any auld ****e and their customers will still buy it, with the 2 series. It's about knowing what your customers want and if you can fullfil your customers needs and make money, your business model is pretty sound.

I think it's too over the top, or something. If the horizontal bars/grille running along the bottom of it weren't there, but were a normal bumper/solid plastic instead, i think it'd be much improved upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The front looks like it'll Hoover you up if you get too close.

Interior is pretty bland.

In fairness though is the new Mondeo.

It'll sell by the bucket load though whether people on here like it or not.

Personally I'd rather be taxi'd about in one of these over a Fluence any day of the week which seems to be the new taxi of choice out there due to the high scrappage allowance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I've said it before and I'll say it again, being a designer at Toyota must be a soul destroying job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    Obviously a heavy facelift of the current model but could easily be mistaken for a Hyundai. Larger over hangs at the front. Not overly gone on that wood effect in the interior either. BMW diesel engine replaces the old D-4D unit too.

First thing that came to my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Who are you trying to fool, me or you :P

But why would they want it to be a 'style icon' if it doesn't need to be. They have always had reasonable success through bland and conservative designs, they know where they need to be target market wise and maybe aren't investing heavily in a department that doesn't define their brand. The same people who say it's ugly are the same people who still wouldn't buy it if it was drop dead georgous because "it's a toyota". If it aint broke and all that...

BM trouble-you for example came out with something similar and basically said they can compromise on substance and can stick a beemer badge on any auld ****e and their customers will still buy it, with the 2 series. It's about knowing what your customers want and if you can fullfil your customers needs and make money, your business model is pretty sound.
    The Carina E was a lovely car when it came out. Why can't they try like that again? Volkswagen upped the game in 1997 with the then New Passat. They threw a lot at it to get success from it, and it worked. Why can't Toyota do the same and move their brand more upmarket from Hyundai and Kia in the same way as VW is trying with theirs?
    15 years ago people would think that the Civic, Corolla, Focus, Astra and Golf are the main stays of that category, and the rest are just for the cheaper options, like the Accent and such. Now you have the Golf, then slightly behind maybe would be the Civic, Focus, Astra, then behind that you have the Auris/i30/C'eed etc.
    Same above that. The Avensis has slipped back to the i40 type group, rather than being seen as a more premium purchase. Yet they still like to charge a slightly premium price.
    The Auris should aim for the Golf, and the Avensis for the Passat. That's the ability Toyota have, yet constantly fail to show these days.

Toyota own around 20% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries. The mk 4 Legacy has an excellent chassis. Toyota should do a similar project to the GT86/BRZ and do an all new Avensis/Legacy co-project, with a proper chassis as the starting point, and longitudinal BMW diesel engines, a decent chassis and 4WD coupled with shared manufacturing and tooling costs with Subaru, a new designer and almost Lexus type interior would straight away move the Avensis into a class leader.
    Although to be honest, if they did do that I'd change the name back to Carina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The problem for Toyota in Europe is that it has been far too slow to react to the challenge from Kia and Hyundai, whether it is arrogance or incompetence it is hard to say. Their USP used to be reliability, which is no longer a key selling point as warranties get better. What does that leave them with? A recent poll revealed that something like 30% of customers will base their next car purchase on 'in car tech'.

Keep in mind the i40 and Optima are their first credible stab at this sector, think how good they will be in a generation or two. VW show that you can build rather bland cars that people still desire, by paying attention to the details, the feel good factor and 'perceived' quality. If Toyota don't focus on making desirable cars I suspect this will be the beginning of a long, slow decline for them in Europe.

In the US meanwhile…

usa%2Bmidsize%2Bcar%2Bsales%2Bchart%2Bfebruary%2B2015.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Have you any link to this? I haven't seen any reference by Toyota about redesigning the timing chain at all, and this isn't the first Toyota to use the disastrous N47, as the Verso got it last year, and the Auris will get it later on this year when it's facelifted (although the more reliable 1.4 D-4D will remain in the lineup). The 1.6 D-4D also has the N47 by the way not just to 2.0 litre model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

In fairness though is the new Mondeo.

The new Mondy arrived here a while back right? Only diesel engines?

Did Paddy get a chance to lap up the 1 liter ecoboost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

What are they thinking with this new look? Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

They've made it like the current Corolla, all angular etc and I really don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

will it be a hit in ireland though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

They've made it like the current Corolla, all angular etc and I really don't like it.

The last Corolla is a lovely looking car. This one is sh*te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Jesus. wrote:
    Did Paddy get a chance to lap up the 1 liter ecoboost?

Not yet. Will come though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Jesus. wrote: »
    The last Corolla is a lovely looking car. This one is sh*te

The Auris and Corolla are both growing on me. I doubt I'll ever own one mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ew no. The front looks very like a Renault ... Sorry Reno people :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Well Done for pointing out BMW Timing Chain prob.
    costs €5k to fix.

U wud want a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on the AVENSIS NOW if they are using BMW engine.

WONDER WHY TOYOTA CHANGED ???

ANY IDEAS??

What year was ur post 2011 BMW Model u had the timing chain prob with ???

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cullow123

This is meant to be the final version of the Toyota Avensis as most car manufactures only release one facelift model during a models life cycle, I would have thought Toyota would have done a complete overhaul of the exterior as well as interior. The cheap plastic wood on the interior does not suit it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Thing I have difficulty understanding - is why Toyota haven't actually tried to make the Avensis something outstanding in the market - a class leader.

Doesn't need to be a sports car on twisty roads - just something that drives like a QUALITY car - a very comfortable car, a nice place to be, steers very pleasantly (for most drivers) rides extremely well.

Just make it an all round VERY VERY good car.

Just seems to be a bit lazy the Avensis since 09 - which was a shame because the Mk 2 did make a genuine stab back in 03 at trying to be a really decent car.

Its like someone said - okay - we didn't quite make it with the Mk 2 - and rather then say - the Mk 2 was a great step forward - they decided not to actually bother AT ALL.

And they expect THIS to go againsed the new Passat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Well Done for pointing out BMW Timing Chain prob.
    costs €5k to fix.

U wud want a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on the AVENSIS NOW if they are using BMW engine.

WONDER WHY TOYOTA CHANGED ???

ANY IDEAS??
    Cause Toyota diesels were crap. And it costs too much to develop, so did a deal with BMW for their teechnology. I'd say the Toyota-ised diesels will be grand.

Cheers - I think d BMW Engine is a NZ47.
    Wont b buying d Avensus so.

BMW the best cars in d world - ME ARSE.

ANY CHANCE OF A REPLY FROM:-

TOYOTAFANBOI.

What year was ur post 2011 BMW Model u had the timing chain prob with ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Toyota=Hotpoint
    :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement