Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shopping basket- overpriced gimmicks for Triathletes

Options
  • 21-04-2015 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Iolite, integrated GPS in your OW swim goggles...who is up for a pair at $199? You program in the swim course, and LED will flash green if you are on-course, amber or red for typical Tri-type deviations. (Or you could just lift your head...)

Anyone tried a pair? Anyone got examples of any other Tri gimmick$$$?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Anyone got examples of any other Tri gimmick$$$?

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QeYfghLzXhg/VNeC_78VBzI/AAAAAAAABQI/XUvBImk2Xfc/s640/IMG_0390.jpg" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^ I should have just bought the goggles and shut up ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well played zico. well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Iolite, integrated GPS in your OW swim goggles...who is up for a pair at $199? You program in the swim course, and LED will flash green if you are on-course, amber or red for typical Tri-type deviations. (Or you could just lift your head...)

I know one or two lads who could do with a pair of these ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Isn't everything in triathlon over priced and a bit of a gimmick?? ;)

This gets my vote though, not sure of the point of it, can't leave boxes in transition and just looks awkward, but it is only £110!!!

http://www.triathlonbox.co.uk/triathlonbox-pre-order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I can see merit in this if you set waypoints and it guided you from waypoint to way point. However it doesn't. its "are you swimming a straight line".

You can be sure you will see lots of triathlon boxes in Dublin 70.30 used by owners of these goggles who will breaststroke the swim.

My vote for biggest gimmick

http://www.nathansports.com/gear/performance-gear/lock-laces%E2%84%A2

If one learns to tie laces with a non-standard bow its just as quick - and more secure.

Any links to how to use a non standard bow? Don't find the elastic laces that comfortable, saying that I struggle to put a knot in a tie so wouldn't hold out hope.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

joey100 wrote: »

This gets my vote though, not sure of the point of it, can't leave boxes in transition and just looks awkward, but it is only £110!!!

ffs i was just about to offer ray 25 euro for his transiton backpack...

http://www.diy.com/departments/strata-110-l-plastic-storage-box/910958_BQ.prd

sheet of foam and a padlock. done. 20% the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Jaysis....only 109 sterling...an absolute bargain!!!

Ah but that's missing the;

##Top mounted individual pockets so that the smaller items are at the top of the box exactly where you need them on race day.
    ##2 x water bottle holder / gel holder for maximum performance accessible at all times for rehydration.
    ##Fully lockable, to secure your valuables during the race, using a coded lock, so that no key can be lost during the race.
    ##By designing strength into the product it is strong enough to sit on anytime.
    ##1 x Divider tray to keep your clothes dry for after your triathlon race.
    ##Drainage capabilities post-race, for ease of cleaning post race.
    ##Designed to fit all popular models of road bike, triathlon bike and mountain bikes.

That's what the extra 80% if for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    My vote for biggest gimmick

http://www.nathansports.com/gear/performance-gear/lock-laces%E2%84%A2

If one learns to tie laces with a non-standard bow its just as quick - and more secure.

I think they're great and at less than €10 they're hardly expensive. I'd have far more confidence in these laces not coming undone than any knot I'd tie myself.

zico10 wrote: »
    I think they're great and at less than €10 they're hardly expensive. I'd have far more confidence in these laces not coming undone than any knot I'd tie myself.

Who/what does that say more about though :)

zico10 wrote: »
    zico when you go the next time to the runhub ask mark for the real ones no knot ,no lock required and great to ajust to your needs before the race .

tunney wrote: »
    Who/what does that say more about though :)
    you wanna race him tunny ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    zico when you go the next time to the runhub ask mark for the real ones no knot ,no lock required and great to ajust to your needs before the race .

Xtenex laces

you wanna race him tunny ;-)

Yup no bother. Just need to find a course with lots of turns and junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »

lol.....I was very tempted earlier but decided not to :D

In my defence I did say earlier
    Isn't everything in triathlon over priced and a bit of a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MJ481

And you lot are why so many people decide not to enter the world of triathlon.
    So many elitest groups mocking the people who can't afford £5000 bikes and £3000 wheels.
    Yes I agree some of the ideas brought out will never make the shop floor. Some however are peoples livelihoods. If you don't like the product, move on.
    Not sure I should ask what you get out of belittling someones blood sweat and tears....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Triathlonbox

Hi Joey,

I'm the designer and inventor of Triathlonbox. I'd be very keen to know what you would be willing to pay as I'm working very hard juggling this with a full time job and I'm very open to improving my British made (VAT registered - so money is going back to the government). There are 9 different elements to triathlonbox 8 of which are made in the UK helping the economy to be stronger.

The cost I'm aware is £109 which includes free delivery to anywhere in the UK - but I'd be very keen to hear feedback so that I can help my fellow triathletes get to transition ready to race. Hope that helps and I look forward to chatting soon or maybe going shoulder to shoulder at a race sometime soon. I've been racing for eight years now from sprint all the way to Ironman - looking forward to the summer starting so we can all get out racing.

All the Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

MJ481 wrote: »
    So many elitest groups mocking the people who can't afford £5000 bikes and £3000 wheels.
    Yes I agree some of the ideas brought out will never make the shop floor. Some however are peoples livelihoods. If you don't like the product, move on.
    Not sure I should ask what you get out of belittling someones blood sweat and tears....

So which product did you design?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess the box seeing as how both you and the supposed designer posting below have just set you accounts up and 1 post each.

Anyway my 2c on the box. It fits exactly as described in this thread it's not a requirement and if nothing else it's a bit cumbersome. There are plenty of similar bag versions. The price point is to high to be bought as a gift for someone and I suspect that would be where most sales come from. Also they're not allowed in transition over here perhaps more suited to Iron man or long distance but then the people that would buy this would want the Mdot branded version.

One improvement might be to put a handle a wheels on it similar to a suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

This is soooo wrong. Must triathletes I know are on old road bikes, or low range triathlon bikes. Plus, ask anyone advice about starting in triathlon and the response is usually "use and old or borrowed bike and a low-mid range wetsuit".

As for livelihoods? Frankly if someone is depending on a plastic box to pay the mortgage then perhaps they need to wake up and smell the roses.

With all due respect but this thread is about that tri dosn't have to be so expensive to enter and that all you really need is 2 wheels a pair of runners and a surfing wetsuit.

I would suggest that when a 30 euro backpack can do all a 145 euro box can do, it is really not essential to have that box . besides with my backpack i go to races with, i do my shopping and cycle to the pool .

As for livelihoods? Frankly if someone is depending on a plastic box to pay the mortgage then perhaps they need to wake up and smell the roses.[/QUOTE]

i think that is a bit rude at the end of the day nobody is forced to buy the product its a free market and if ther is demand for it fair play.

And to be fair still a much better buy than a BMW or a Porsche...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

As for livelihoods? Frankly if someone is depending on a plastic box to pay the mortgage then perhaps they need to wake up and smell the roses.

i think that is a bit rude at the end of the day nobody is forced to buy the product its a free market and if ther is demand for it fair play.

And to be fair still a much better buy than a BMW or a Porsche...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't being rude at all. The suggestion from the previous poster was that triathletes are elitist, and that listing products here could affect the livelihoods of people. Thus my statement is not rude at all, if a big company is making a useless device then it wont mean anything to their overall income if the product isn't bought (although the biggies are less likely to produce these types of items). As for hobbyist manufacturers, designing random triathlete equipment, it is correct that they shouldn't be depending on it as a source of income and the post suggesting that we might jeopardize their livelihood is slightly condescending.

Rant over :)

Advertisement