Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shopping basket- overpriced gimmicks for Triathletes

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

MJ481 wrote: »
    And you lot are why so many people decide not to enter the world of triathlon.
    So many elitest groups mocking the people who can't afford £5000 bikes and £3000 wheels.
    Yes I agree some of the ideas brought out will never make the shop floor. Some however are peoples livelihoods. If you don't like the product, move on.
    Not sure I should ask what you get out of belittling someones blood sweat and tears....
    I thought this thread was quite the opposite of elitist mocking. Its poking fun at a tendency to spend money on useless gizmos. And when it comes to the box, the manufacturer would do well to listen to honest criticism. To my mind it is a product that fulfils no purpose. Boxes are banned in many ITU and WTC transitions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

MJ481 wrote: »
    And you lot are why so many people decide not to enter the world of triathlon.
    So many elitest groups mocking the people who can't afford £5000 bikes and £3000 wheels.
    Yes I agree some of the ideas brought out will never make the shop floor. Some however are peoples livelihoods. If you don't like the product, move on.
    Not sure I should ask what you get out of belittling someones blood sweat and tears....

someone needs to learn the difference between price and value.

it's easier for a 5000 bike to be labelled overpriced, given the amount, yet not one showed up here. why? because the price reflects the value people put on it.not many here riding 5000 superbikes by the way.

what's listed here is items where the price far outways the percieved value. one of the items listed costs a few euros so your claim it's elitest hardly rings true. there are lots of toys, both cheap and expensive, which will never make the list cause the value is close to the price.

overpriced does not reflect the absolute price, it reflects the difference between the absolute price and the perceived value , and when that gap is big it is usually down to a lack of market knowledge, or an owner/inventor with a self inlfated view of what their product is worth. that or they think anything brought into a specific market should be expensive, as is often the case with tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@MJ481, I'm not sure why you think this thread is elitist? If anything people on this thread are trying to save others money and pointing out things they think may be over priced or not have much use for. I'd say if you looked through this whole forum you would see it's not elitist at all. There are threads set up by people who commented on this one around helping people improve their swim and another from a coach offering turbo sessions to people to help structure their training. This combined with all the advice people get when they come in and ask questions, including one lad who nearly had a whole programme designed for him by members here at no cost, shows that this forum is very welcoming to beginners.

@Triathlonbox, There are 2 things about the box I'm unsure of, but they are 2 pretty big things. 1 is the cost, £109 equals around €151. This is a lot of money for what is at the end of the day a plastic box. The main difference between yours and one I could buy in B&Q seems to be the shape, yours will fit over the crossbar of a bike. The water proof section and bottle holders could be useful but a plastic bag in my B&Q box would do the same thing. A sports bag and a dry bag would cost less than a third of the price of your box. And like one poster said I could use the bag then when I'm going to the gym, on the bike, going shopping.

The other thing is that boxes are not allowed in transition (in Ireland anyway, not sure of UK rules). So I don't see how it is any better than a bag.

Fair play on going out and making the box and getting as much as you can from within the uk, but unfortunately I still wouldn't buy one. For €20-€30 I might consider it but at €150, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

The triathlon box is a gimmick and a rip off ... End of !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seriously we are on the third page and no one has raised Dublin 70.30 as the biggest gimmick

"Here give us a fortune, then we'll let you do a swim we are not sure of yet really, a sh1t route on the bike, and then a run you could do for a fraction of a price in a race that has pedigree and the backing of a club (DCT), but hey you get to tell your friends you are an Ironman ("Did he say he was an ironman??? I thought they were skinny???") and buy an IM branded bed spread."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Even worse value for you. Tango told me that soon you owe me 100 euro for the bet you lost, using aib calculations :)

tunney wrote: »
    Seriously we are on the third page and no one has raised Dublin 70.30 as the biggest gimmick

"Here give us a fortune, then we'll let you do a swim we are not sure of yet really, a sh1t route on the bike, and then a run you could do for a fraction of a price in a race that has pedigree and the backing of a club (DCT), but hey you get to tell your friends you are an Ironman ("Did he say he was an ironman??? I thought they were skinny???") and buy an IM branded bed spread."

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

IM branded bed spread."

Deadly! I'm gonna check Amazon right now.

peter kern wrote: »
    Even worse value for you. Tango told me that soon you owe me 100 euro for the bet you lost, using aib calculations :)

I've engaged insolvency advisors to look into getting advice on a write down of unsecured debts.

Also the race hasn't happened yet...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

joey100 wrote: »
    The other thing is that boxes are not allowed in transition (in Ireland anyway, not sure of UK rules). So I don't see how it is any better than a bag.

Fair play on going out and making the box and getting as much as you can from within the uk, but unfortunately I still wouldn't buy one. For €20-€30 I might consider it but at €150, no chance.

Not sure how legit they are within the rules, but I've seen plenty of people with small crates in transition at tris here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I get the feeling you're starting to warm to this Dublin 70.3
    :D

• Advertisement

Not sure how legit they are within the rules, but I've seen plenty of people with small crates in transition at tris here.

Not in any of the national series race you wouldn't any boxes bags are stripped from transition by the marshalls once transition closes.

You may have seen some prior to closing of transition.

I've engaged insolvency advisors to look into getting advice on a write down of unsecured debts.

Also the race hasn't happened yet...........

Also there may be an escape clause on the fact that this more than likely won't be a 70.3 get your tape measure out ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not in any of the national series race you wouldn't any boxes bags are stripped from transition by the marshalls once transition closes.

RK's national series is a different NS to the one here.

mossym wrote: »
    RK's national series is a different NS to the one here.

Ah yeah didn't see the location. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

iwillhtfu wrote: »

RK is in the UK...so rules may be different there. They can even have non-wetsuit swims in the UK rules. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They can even have non-wetsuit swims in the UK rules. Crazy stuff altogether.
    I did a race last summer where the water temperature was technically too warm for a wetsuit legal sprint distance race under BTF rules (water was 22.5c) but the organisers made everyone wear them anyway because "elf'n'safety"...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I did a race last summer where the water temperature was technically too warm for a wetsuit legal sprint distance race under BTF rules (water was 22.5c) but the organisers made everyone wear them anyway because "elf'n'safety"...

A wetsuit at 22.5C???? bloody hell, you SHOULDN'T be wearing one for health and safety!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

http://www.cepcompression.com/products/recovery-plus/recovery-pro-tights.html

What about compression tights for post training recovery. Fact or fiction?

rooneyjm wrote: »

Fiction. All you need is a decent post workout meal with a good blend of protein and carbs. Steak and chips should do it. :)

ray o wrote: »
    Fiction. All you need is a decent post workout meal with a good blend of protein and carbs. Steak and chips should do it. :)

Yeah but the man in the shop said they definitely work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ray o wrote: »
    Fiction.

No it's not.

For aid in recovery, compression works, it does not do anything for performance though.
    On the damage and recovery side of things, a study using full lower body graduated compression tights only after the exercise showed improvements in muscle soreness and recovery following plyometrics (Byrne & Easton, 2010). As mentioned above, Ali (2007) found enhanced recovery which they speculated was due to the compression alleviating swelling and inflammation.

Quote from science of running and link to research.

I like mine. The placebo effect is worth it. :)

2-1. Brand?

Just linking to another thread. Compression works by reducing inflammation but is it not the inflammation the promotes the growth for your improvements. i think the thread was "Ice Ice baby" which cast doubts over ice baths for recovery as it reduced inflammation ?

AKW wrote: »
    No it's not.

For aid in recovery, compression works, it does not do anything for performance though.

Quote from science of running and link to research.

The smiley face was to cover both parts of that comment. It was not my intention to seriously counter the usefulness of tights on men.

I know I shouldn't be thinking about men wearing tights but I thought of a really useful purpose. Covering up an IM Tattoo on the calf

2-1. Brand?

Just linking to another thread. Compression works by reducing inflammation but is it not the inflammation the promotes the growth for your improvements. i think the thread was "Ice Ice baby" which cast doubts over ice baths for recovery as it reduced inflammation ?

You're taking one piece of research, changing a key part and claiming the same result................

I'll try clarify the way i was reading it and just so you know where I stand, I sometimes have a cold bath after long runs, it seems to reduce pain in hips and knees. I was also thinking of getting a pair of recovery tights as I feel the long runs most in the hammers and glutes.

Ice baths = reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training, therefore not advised. (according to article)

Compression tights = reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training, therefore you would think not advised but some people recommend them.

I suppose I'm taking "reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training" as gospel but it might not actually be true.

I'll try clarify the way i was reading it and just so you know where I stand, I sometimes have a cold bath after long runs, it seems to reduce pain in hips and knees. I was also thinking of getting a pair of recovery tights as I feel the long runs most in the hammers and glutes.

Ice baths = reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training, therefore not advised. (according to article)

Compression tights = reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training, therefore you would think not advised but some people recommend them.

I suppose I'm taking "reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training" as gospel but it might not actually be true.

That's the bit that I am objecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Triathlonbox

Thank you all for the feedback it is much appreciated. I completely understand the price point issue. When I started out on this design journey I wanted Triathlonbox to be around the £70 mark at this price I thought that it would be a very good comparison to the bags on the market specific to Triathlon.

Keeping 98% of the production has pushed up the costs a little and paying British VAT is something that I didn't factor in.

You'll all be pleased to know that I didn't put my house on this I'm a Building Surveyor by the day and have designed this Triathlon product as I love racing and thought I could make it easier over the (up to) 2 mile walk from your car to the transition areas. ITU yes no bags or boxes in transition but triathlonbox is fully lockable and is strong enough to sit on for your support team.

I get that its a bit of a Marmite product you either love it or you hate it. I'm starting to find people get very passionate about transitions which I get. But we are working with some great race teams in the UK - who are more than happy to encourage a young (ish) entrepreneur to get this new British made Patent pending product into their races.

Once again thanks for the feedback - Oh and my products of choice are aero wheels when the rider is 20 kg over weight.. having used Tri to loose nearly 30kg over the eight years I've raced I can nearly justify a set now.... Just need to sell a few more over priced boxes first....

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the feedback it is much appreciated. I completely understand the price point issue. When I started out on this design journey I wanted Triathlonbox to be around the £70 mark at this price I thought that it would be a very good comparison to the bags on the market specific to Triathlon.

Keeping 98% of the production has pushed up the costs a little and paying British VAT is something that I didn't factor in.

You'll all be pleased to know that I didn't put my house on this I'm a Building Surveyor by the day and have designed this Triathlon product as I love racing and thought I could make it easier over the (up to) 2 mile walk from your car to the transition areas. ITU yes no bags or boxes in transition but triathlonbox is fully lockable and is strong enough to sit on for your support team.

I get that its a bit of a Marmite product you either love it or you hate it. I'm starting to find people get very passionate about transitions which I get. But we are working with some great race teams in the UK - who are more than happy to encourage a young (ish) entrepreneur to get this new British made Patent pending product into their races.

Once again thanks for the feedback - Oh and my products of choice are aero wheels when the rider is 20 kg over weight.. having used Tri to loose nearly 30kg over the eight years I've raced I can nearly justify a set now.... Just need to sell a few more over priced boxes first....

Does it keep beer cool? I wonder could i bring it to Slane?

Advertisement