Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shopping basket- overpriced gimmicks for Triathletes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thank you all for the feedback it is much appreciated. I completely understand the price point issue. When I started out on this design journey I wanted Triathlonbox to be around the £70 mark at this price I thought that it would be a very good comparison to the bags on the market specific to Triathlon.

Keeping 98% of the production has pushed up the costs a little and paying British VAT is something that I didn't factor in.

You'll all be pleased to know that I didn't put my house on this I'm a Building Surveyor by the day and have designed this Triathlon product as I love racing and thought I could make it easier over the (up to) 2 mile walk from your car to the transition areas. ITU yes no bags or boxes in transition but triathlonbox is fully lockable and is strong enough to sit on for your support team.

I get that its a bit of a Marmite product you either love it or you hate it. I'm starting to find people get very passionate about transitions which I get. But we are working with some great race teams in the UK - who are more than happy to encourage a young (ish) entrepreneur to get this new British made Patent pending product into their races.

Once again thanks for the feedback - Oh and my products of choice are aero wheels when the rider is 20 kg over weight.. having used Tri to loose nearly 30kg over the eight years I've raced I can nearly justify a set now.... Just need to sell a few more over priced boxes first....

If your production costs are pushing things to 100 pounds then you need to look at your supply chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^That's a good honest appraisal of your product. I scoffed at it at first having had a quick look at your homepage- it wasn't until I saw the photos on FB that I realised it sits onto the bike handlebars. Still not as useful as a backpack IMO, but more stable than the plastic boxes I see people balancing on handlebars on their way to trans. FWIW I'd say it has a market, plenty of people willing to spend extra for convenience. Its the perfect overpriced gimmick!

Feedback: perhaps put photos showing box carried by bike on your homepage?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

tunney wrote: »
    That's the bit that I am objecting to.

Your objecting to

Compression tights = reduce inflammation and swelling

OR

"reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training"

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Your objecting to

OR

"reduce inflammation and swelling = not as much gains form training"

Which bit was in bold? :)

Seriously though we are in danger of derailing this messing thread into a serious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Your objecting to

Indirectly.

Compression socks for recovery primarily assist the calf muscle in returning blood from the lower leg against the pull of gravity. This is why graduated compression is better for recovery. You only have to think or imagine the relief varicose vein sufferers get with TED socks to get the idea.

The action of assisted blood flow reduces fatigue on the calf (the heart of the leg) allowing it to repair quicker. It is the improved blood flow that works on the inflammation and swelling rather than the squeezing effect of the fabrics.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Which bit was in bold? :)

Seriously though we are in danger of derailing this messing thread into a serious one.

Bits in bold, not in bold, happy faces :), pink writing, I get confused.

So you dont think they reduce inflammation and swelling? There's a lot of people making a lot of money from that theory.

Bits in bold, not in bold, happy faces :), pink writing, I get confused.

So you dont think they reduce inflammation and swelling? There's a lot of people making a lot of money from that theory.

I have many many compression socks and other compression garments. Happy to discussion the multi-faceted nature of compression on training and racing but this is a "fun thread" :) Perhaps a split?

Fair enough. Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Yeah but the man in the shop said they definitely work?

was that the same guy that said magic bracelets DEFINITELY work ?

can they( compresion stuff) work I would say for some they can.( as can the osymetric chain rings ) All this stuff certainly over marketed and overhyed ( and overpriced )

To be honest most gizmos can work ( and if it is only the placebo facter that is proven to work ) the problem is the over marketing to try to say everybody needs something. ( be it coach, superbike wheel etc etc )

To be honest i do consider to buy 1 of those swim goggles as I think that for a coach ( or a club ) 1 or 2 of those can be beneficial . I have seen some shockingly bad swimmer almost doing a circle in 50 meters and for those it can be a help,in training ( of course there is other ways but i do believe that for some this particular glasses can work )

overal the problem is joe is using something and then marry buys it becasue joe has it and dosnt think why it can work .
    its the same with those bike boxes. I would not touch them but for some people that have crushed their bikes carring a normal box and intangled and ripped their wetsuits in the wheel they might have been a good value ...( why they dodnt use a back pack is beyond me ) but still some people might not like to carry a backpack as they have a doggy shoulder)

It was the same guy who sold me the 160 euro runners. They're another bleedin gimmick but anyway ill try the compression and report back.
    It'll be my first thread, I think i'll call it "Men in tights"?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

HAHAHAHA imagine how many of those we would see at Dublin 70.30 if it goes ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

saw them today. unreal !!

€55 quid. At first i thought..... what a shoer of b4st4rds selling them at that price !! But then i thought, the crux of the issue..... what a shower of Idiots who buy them.

Advertisement